Universal LAYTON BROTHERS MYSTERY ROOM - (by Level-5 Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    That doesn't come under the heading of "bad translation" any more than a production casting actors with accents or dialects you're unfamiliar with in a live-action work comes under the heading of "bad translation"; from the comments that have been made about this aspect of the game, it is apparent that more people have been able to understand the characters than have not. The audience for this game isn't just, "Americans who don't recognise British dialects," which is especially evident given that this game is set in England (London, specifically), and a very successful and well-regarded native British-English translation house was deliberately chosen for that exact reason.

The "bad translation" that was being referenced at TA was specifically the misunderstanding of a couple of people regarding certain grammar/spelling errors that simply don't actually exist at all, and a misunderstanding due to personal ignorance of the language being used is still just that.

2. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #122 November's Chopin, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    This game has very nice dialogue and atmosphere and all that. BUT, there is a huge problem that pretty much ruins the game.
    Why in the world does the game pretty much reveal who the murderer is right in the beginning of each case??? It's during the part where Layton asks Lucy about her "first intuitions", and right afterwards Layton reveals who the murderer is, wtf? It renders the "solving case" part pretty much pointless when you already know who the murderer is, you're just solving it for the sake of unlocking the next level. This makes the entire "game" more like a storybook and not a game, as so far in the first 4 (or 3 if not including the intro sequence) cases there was only about 1 instance in each case where you have to "think", pretty much everything else involves tapping through dialogue. It's a mystery game, it's unbelievable the devs chose to spoil the most crucial part of the story within the first minute.
    I still enjoy going through this "game" more like reading a story since the cases are intriguing, just saying it does not work well as a "game" at this moment.

By the way what's with every single instance of "was" being written as "were" in the dialogue? For example "it were the biggest case" and "he were the first suspect". Some local English accent?

3. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Never watched Columbo I presume ?
    It's about your wits and proving that you're smarter than killer, getting evidence in his face and shatter his web of lies ultimately.
    Anyway , suspects Layton's intuition points you to aren't always real killers, never just listen to him, be open minded and have your own opinions and theories about the case, it just might be right ones without his guiding.

4. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    As Aventador noted, this is a pretty familiar routine if you've ever watched Columbo; the entire game was designed with heavy nods to the old 70s/80s murder mystery shows like Murder, She Wrote and the aforementioned Columbo, rather than modern CSI or Law & Order-style crime dramas.

However, while the solution to the crime may seem obvious at first, there are a couple of cases where that obviousness is a red herring. On the other hand, some cases really are that straightforward, such as The Walking Corpse, which required literally only a five-second glance at the room to figure out what was done and how (the very first thing I examined confirmed my suspicions, although there was a minor red herring in that solution too).

That only happens in Lucy's narration/dialogue, and yes, it's a local dialect.

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Unfortunately, unlike with Ghost Trip, I find myself getting bored with Layton Brothers.

I have completed Case 4, which is halfway through the first expansion pack IAP, but find it hard to get back to the game, as there does not seem to be an overarching storyline, other than occasional hints that one of the characters might be something more...

Does the story pick up from Case 5 onwards? Because I am kind of tempted to just delete this to make space for Breach & Clear on Thursday...

6. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    There is.

Cases 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are all directly linked.

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    #127 iPadisGreat, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
    Plowing through. At my current pace, it will probably take about a fortnight to do so...

EDIT just completed Case 6 and wow if the whole game had been like that, I would have completed it in one go! This is where the story really starts up.

iPadisgoingtobedastheweekendhasendedandbusyperiodresumestomorrow...

8. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Completed Layton Brothers. Cases 7-9 are what the game should have been throughout. If the developer had been able to maintain that level of storytelling throughout all the nine cases, then Layton Brothers could have been as big as Phoenix Wright. A wasted opportunity.

Deleting...

9. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Any reasons you assume so?

10. Anilones

Anilones Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Anybody else having issues playing on iOS 7?

11. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Yes, crash on startup. How to contact the developer?

12. Anilones

Anilones Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I sent a message on their website and got a reply telling me to restart the device, if it doesn't work to reinstall the app. I tried both, losing my save in the process, but the app now works.

13. keithburgun

keithburgun Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Game Design, Author
    Westchester, NY
    Anyone know if there's any plans to add more cases? Seems like the app is built to support a ton of them, so it's a little weird if this is it.

14. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope. That is it. It was sold piecemeal chopped up from a Nintendo DS game.

15. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Depends on how well game monetized .It has been downloaded by many people and reviews have been positive and even game ending hints a sequel.

16. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    For some reason, this just popped up in the NZ new releases marked as having only just come out today - not updated. Got excited thinking there was a new one but I can't discern anything different about it...think the Appstore is playing tricks on me lol.

17. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Maybe they did update it or add another chapters as IAPs ?
    Anyway it's a tragedy that this game isn't working on iOS 7, I guess big company like Level-5 doesn't care much about iOS.

18. lelamquan184

lelamquan184 Active Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Seeing how the japanese app is still the same, I doubt it would have more chapters.
    The game crashed when I updated from ios 6 to ios 7, but then I deleted it and reinstalled, it worked like a charm.

19. lLIGHTNINGl

lLIGHTNINGl Member

May 5, 2014
    USA
    Is a 2 coming out ever? What is this team working on now?

20. I don't think so.

They are working on a Pr.Layton puzzle game and a full 3D/action RPG. Both exclusive to iOS/android. Do a search on Google : level-5 iOS games.