How important is story to you in an idevice game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Foursaken_Media, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I am very curious to see what people think about this, as I can see it going both ways for an idevice game. On the one hand, imo story is the glue that keeps you playing a game and wanting to play more (and I would say this is true for almost any type of game... you can have a cool story even in pick up and play games that really gets you attached to the characters and makes you want to progress to new stages etc).

On the other hand, its an idevice. I'm sure a lot of people don't have the time or desire to get into a story and just want to pick up, play, and blow things away.

But of course there is the middle ground where you can do both, but usually in this case the story suffers bc you can't really spend the time telling it how it should be told.

I guess I'm wondering who thinks a story line is an actual detriment, and who thinks it is a huge plus, and just your general comments on the subject. Thanks in advance :)

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    basically what he said. If an FPS or adventure game or whatever doesn't have a good story, it kind of waters down the gameplay. But then if it's a simple, yet good storyline, it doesn't matter to me.

3. RoadRunner123

RoadRunner123 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    I would rather play a game with a good story especially if it's an rpg.

4. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    As long as the story doesn't have you standing there tapping chat bubbles for what sometimes feels forever.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    For most games, not at all important. Games revolve around gameplay, books and films revolve around stories. Mario didn't need a story, the likes of Streets of Rage had a few brief paragraphs at best, and Ninja Gaiden 2 has a terrible story but the most amazing and entertaining combat ever witnessed on a console.

6. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

What about in a game like minigore? Would you think a story would actually slow the game down and make it less enjoyable?

7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Yeah but if those games had a good story (but at the same time slightly more story) would it help or hinder them? Take Ninja Gaiden 2 exactly as it is and give it a cool and more in depth story... would that end up bogging the game down or make it better (I'm not implying one way or the other mind you)?

8. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I think it might make the game less enjoyable for a game like minigore if the storyline was huge and complex as in big RPG's and such. However, if it's like a small, less complex storyline, I think it'd be fine.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    In the case of Ninja Gaiden I'm not sure it'd help much. The bad story is part of what gives it charm, if it took itself seriously it just wouldn't work. I suppose in most cases I'd choose a good story over a bad one, but other than the occasional RPG I tend to skim through story segments as quickly as possible to get myself back into the action.

I think the best way to introduce a deep story into a game is with optional items to pick up and read, Fallout 3 style. You can collect notes/logs and read/listen to them at your own pace, when you choose to. You're not forced to sit through screens of text that interrupt or stall the flow of the game.