Game Controls - which kind does not suck?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by minyx, Oct 22, 2010.

1. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    #1 minyx, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    Hi there,

I'm in the making of a game and everything goes great - everything but the controls. I'm kind of a perfectionist and can easily get obsessed with things and my current obsession are the game controls. It seems I can not get them working perfectly for all possible input vectors and thus I need your help. :)

Which game control concepts do you love? Which do you hate? (I guess the fake D-Pad would be one of the most hated input concepts on the iOS.)

In your opinion, which games implement perfect (or nearly perfect) input schemes that are just fun to use or (in the best case) you forget the input completely and just focus on the game? I need inspiration!

Leon

/edit: I should mention which kind of game I'm making. It's a 2D platform like game where you control a player character who can move up, left, right and down, etc. (just like Mario). So I probably won't need perfect 3D controls. Though out of curiosity I'm very interested in them, too :)

2. MrLambChopz

MrLambChopz Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    New Zealand
    I'm not sure if you have played Pizza Boy before (it's on the iphone), those controls are superb. Theres a slider for going left and right on the left hand side and on the right hand side there are buttons for jumping and shooting. I normally hate the fake d-pads because they never really work and feel fiddly, but I wouldn't mind using one if they worked responsively. To me Tilt to control is usually a big no-no. Only some games manage to pull it off so you can head away from that (and you probably don't need tilt controls for a mario clone anyway)

3. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #3 dyscode, Oct 22, 2010
    I guess you should ask that in the dev forums, as they know the tweaks.

And as stupid as it sounds, there are no `bad control schemesĀ“, just bad implementation in the wrong context.

Swipe and Accel could work as well in a J&R as a D-Pad and Tilt or Dual Stick.
    It all just all about how you make it fit in.

I have no objection to d-pad but most of the times the buttons are place not ergonomically.
    being able to adjust them in size and position as in e.g. iTraceur is a great idea.

4. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    #4 minyx, Oct 22, 2010
    I rather like to ask the players as they are the guys who have to live with my bad/good design choices :)

5. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    right attitude :D

6. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Doodle Jump, MC2:BP (surprisingly, but the controls are great!), Labyrinth 2, Super QuickHook, etc. For some of the games, mastering the controls is challenging, which makes it fun. You could always include multiple control options.

7. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I agree a slider would work well. That was the only good thing about Assassins Creed 2 on idevices.

Also Soosiz has simple and good controls.

8. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi! I prefer controls joypad and hate tilting, acelerometer

9. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    sometimes they work wrong anyway...

10. Since87

Since87 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    pizza boy's controls were perfect..
    Chaos Rings "anywhere" joystick was pretty nice also.

to me, those games had the best controls

11. GnarKill

GnarKill Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    UI Engineer
    Bay Area
    I personally don't like on screen controls, I really prefer the tap to move kid of setups. But since you are making a 2d platformer I would recommend taking a look at mirrors edge, so far I think its some of the most intuitive controls for an iPhone game.

12. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    The problem with opinion questions and asking the general populace is, everyone has their own opinion.

Personally I dislike the swipe movements as they make my finger take up more of the screen than a simple direction pad would.

However, Dpads need to be responsive and not very particular about the tappable area. I always find myself 'missing' the Dpad on Final Fantasy I and that annoys me.

13. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Meteor Blitz is THE prime example of virtual joysticks done right.

14. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    #14 Chocolate, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    I generally dislike onscreen dpads AKA virtual sticks, but sometimes they're necessary. And to be fair, sometimes they do work well, i.e. many dual stick shooters.

Some types of iOS controls I like:

- Relative touch controls like those in many SHMUPS (i.e. DoDonPachi, Super Laser etc.), and Fargoal
    - Gyro controls when they fit the gameplay (i.e. the amazing "UFO On Tape")
    - Tap and drag controls in strategy/defense games
    - Tilt controls when done well, like some racing games, Rolando, Doodle Jump etc.
    - Creative touch controls like those in the Hook Champ series

Basically the best controls are those that adapt to the platform, as opposed to trying to force the platform to perform like it has physical controls (i.e. dpad). If I find myself wishing for a real gamepad, then the controls aren't very good.

15. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Thank you guys! As always you're really helpful :)

Gotta go and buy the here mentioned games now :p