iPhone Aquaria Port to iOS

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mattbierner, Jul 24, 2011.

1. mattbierner

mattbierner New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    This is at a fairly early stage of development but I want to let the community know that I am working to port Aquaria to iOS.

A brief development demonstration video is included below.

You can view and download the source code here. (Note that you must purchase desktop Aquaria for the required resource files.)

More details to come.

Project Website

2. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Didn't know Aquaria was open source. I can't wait! Amazing game.

3. mattbierner

mattbierner New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I have been focusing on the controls since creating that first video. Here is a video demonstration of the current control scheme.

I wanted to avoid using any kind of virtual joystick style controls and feel that the control scheme demonstrated in the video works pretty well. Without having a build to play around with it can be difficult to judge, but I would appreciate any feedback on the current control scheme.

4. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    Now that is a stunningly good idea. Aquaria is a fine, fine game. I'd love to see it appear on iPad.

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Finally we get some moving into this since Aquaria is one of the "must have" Titles.

About the current Build:

The Moving and the Shooting System looks fine but might need some balancing in the later Gamelevels since some of the Bosses in the Game would be very hard the current Way.

I am really looking forward how that Project will go on.

Just a Quick HD Gameplay Trailers of the PC Version so you Guys might get a Feeling what epic Game we are here talking about...

Besides that i love the Soundtrack, specially the Track Light has become a daily companion in my Life and i will always thank Alec for it.

You can listen to the hole Soundtrack here.

6. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Damn, that's awesome! I've just been thinking about the game again since fresh installing Lion, and games again as such. A lot of fun, and the reasons to get an iPad are mounting - Small World, Marathon, Ticket to Ride, and now this all iPad only. A shame those would be my only four reasons.

7. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    awesome.
    I have the mac version :)

8. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    this looks awesome... hopefully the controls will work fine.

9. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I was just thinking how awesome Aquaria on my iPad would be, and then I see this thread! Can't wait!

10. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I dont really prefer such control scheme but others may like it better. But it'd be for the best if you could simply add the virtual joystick as an option too.

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    No iphone version?

12. mattbierner

mattbierner New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    There is nothing planned at the moment but it isn't out of the question.

However I feel that Aquaria will be best on a larger screen.

13. mattbierner

mattbierner New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    It has just been brought to my attention that a more official iPad port is also in progress. Given this, I will be suspending my project for the time being. I have gotten what I wanted out of the experience and see no point in continuing given these circumstances. Aquaria should still make it to the app store, just not from this project.

14. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Beautiful and intriguing, I'm surprised I haven't heard of this game before.

I'm sorry to hear that your project has been cancelled, but I'm glad I'll still get the chance to play this on my iPad. Here's hoping your next project is as cool as this.