Apple v Samsung

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by undeadcow, May 3, 2014.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/05/02/apple-samsung-trial-decision/8537339/[/quote]

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Craziness is crazy, can't wait until a company figures out how to patent breathing under certain situations.

3. Well, all I can say is my Note 3 is awesome. Sd card, removeable batteries, and 5.7 inch screen.

Awesomeness. Apple make a huge phone and maybe I will go back.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I was fully on the Samsung side until Google removed the functionality of SD cards in the latest 4.4, their basically sand boxing apps to a single folder on the SD card that no other app can read or write to, from what I can work out Samsung's been bullied into adopting it along with every other major OEM.

Coincidentally Google changed it's cloud prices at the same time in my opinion it's a real scummy move that puts Android back years and just makes the generally low storage Android devices a lot less appealing.

I've kinda went off Android since then I don't know what my next phone will be but local storage is important to me and Google's pretty much declared war on it.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yep, same case with me. That is until I decided to root my device and thus renabling all SD card functionality AND being able to move complete apps to my SD card. While I'm more than happy with my device now (more than I was initially, in fact), I don't know if I'll come back to Android in the future.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am intrigued by the ultra power saving mode in the latest Samsung Galaxy S5. Samsung claims that 10% of battery left will last one day, so a fully charged S5 should last 10 days on standby.

One of the videos I had seen on Youtube shows about 30% battery usage when on ultra power saving mode each day, making it last three days with normal usage. Still much better than the one day battery life I currently get with my iPhone.

iPadhaspsentcloseto$200onexternalbatteriesforhiscurrentiDevicesbuttheykeepbreaking...

Clarify: the external batteries not the iDevices.

7. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hardly play games on phones due to the small screen.
    and I do have a(/an?) Ipad to play mobile games.
    somehow I would play some casual or small games with my phone and android could handle small games well.
    this is the reason one why I dont use a iphone.meanwhile as a tiny business runner, I need backup my cellphone messages and contracts to my PC at a regualar basis, so I need a android phone.
    for now I've Samsung Note 3, the phone is powerful, but I dont think Snote is a good app, which crash a lot.

8. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    How long is battery life on Note 3 when you use 3G data for browsing? I heard contradictory accounts in real life regarding Samsung Galaxy battery life. Some say can last 2 days. Others say half a day to almost one day.

I am considering a Galaxy S5. Bringing around spare batteries or using extended batteries is no problem for me as I used to tote around two spare extended battery packs for my iPaq.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm the opposite, come from a generation who played games on the Gameboy A LOT and even older than that on game and watches.

I love my ipad but much prefer my iphone as in the palm of my hand i've got tons of games/books/comics/music/movies etc

Agree about Android, lack of an SD micro card now has really put me off.

I play a LOT of games and having the best games from all eras from the 70's onwards on my phone is brilliant. I did swap to Android for a month but the lack of big name games compared to iOS put me off. I loved the emulators on Android i must admit but i badly missed iOS and Apple

10. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I've got a s4 and use 3G and I'd say I'm a moderate user, emails, texting, probs an hour of calls a day and the occasional game, I get at least two days out of it, I could probably do three but I get twitchy when the battery gets below a quarter.

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I mainly use my phone for texting, instant messaging, email, my To Do lists and Calendar. I almost never make calls, which is why I am interested in the 3G battery life when it is connected to the internet.

Are the non S4 or S5 models any good in terms of battery life mainly for internet connectivity? Some of them seem suspiciously cheap...

12. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've an S4 Mini which I mainly use for BBM and Skype more than actual calling in fact I rarely make actual real calls here is my average battery life which I'd say was pretty good although of course that varies quite a bit depending on what I'm doing.

13. promo87

promo87 Member

May 8, 2014
    Mobile App Developer
    NewYork
    There is no doubt that in this race Samsung Android devices are going to win the match. I can see Apple iOS anywhere.

14. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Apple and Samsung are now in roughly the same place as Nokia and Sony Ericsson back in around 2005 where Nokia was beating off SE's attacks on its dominant position on feature phones.

Nokia then stagnated by producing increasingly bizarre phones.

It is questionable whether Apple will follow suit now that Steve Jobs is no longer here to tell us that we want an iPhone...