Mystery of the games that bypass the notice of toucharcade

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by thumbs07, Jan 6, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    i wouldn't say it's very many. But I will find either a game really popular in the game charts, or find a game recommended on another site. Yet come back to Toucharcade and the game has never been mentioned, even in the weekly list of out now! releases. Just wondered how this happens!
    Just found another game in the charts- Bruce Lee, and don't think I ever seen mention of it here.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This Bruce Lee?

Sure, games do make it through the cracks, even though you're probably not searching hard enough. ;)

But really...while there are a handful of members who actively make threads for games on a regular basis (like Eli, Jared, myself, Echoseven and Killercow (most recently) and others such as Sanuku (who doesn't post as much) or PeteOzzy (who decided to leave TouchArcade) who took care of the weekly mass thread postings, anyone is free to make threads for games. If you find something that hasn't been listed, by all means create a thread for it. ;)

Ultimately it's what gets posted on the forums and what the TA boys receive in their inboxes that makes it onto the weekly TA front-page lists, so if you're seeing a game on Pete's site for example, but not here, it's because no one's made the effort to make a thread for it.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There's so much stuff that gets released on the App Store that it's simply impossible to catch it all. What's interesting though, is a lot of stuff that we "miss" are actually really old games we've already covered that got updated or otherwise are boosted up the charts. We put more priority towards discovering new stuff than we do following up on old stuff, which is where you'll often see things like Bruce Lee come from out of nowhere and be like "Why isn't TA covering this?" when in reality we did cover it, years ago. :)

4. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    There are other games. Bruce Lee was just to hand, and yeah it looks like it was there. I'd never really thought about how Toucharcade worked like that.
    Yeah that's fair enough but I do still think some get through the net. But hopefully with the majority of the radars of the forum guys and TA themselves, its only a very small %, and likely lower quality I guess.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Honestly the games we don't cover are games that aren't resonating with our community. If no one cares about something in the forums, no one is going to care about that same game when it's posted on the front page. We skip a lot of stuff just because we don't have the resources to cover absolutely everything... So we make educated guesses on what people will want to read about.

6. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Kinda like the Katy Perry game that everyone is talking about! Can't peruse the forums without constantly tripping over that one! ;)

7. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    That is the key. If they aren't talked about here, TA folks don't think they exist. Pretty sad.

Thus TA will never cover any of the great many board game versions on iOS since rarely people talk about them here. Likewise with other apps that are talked about on other sites.

And for every one they might review of he above about 10 other ones will get missed.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We have to pick our battles, I'd love to cover every obscure game out there but we're a small site with very limited resources. We write about a lot of things that I personally think are really cool and cater to a super niche audience that generate very little traffic (Like Shaun's whole RPG Reload series) but those stories need to be balanced out with what the bulk of our visitors want to read... Which means articles about Hearthstone and other similarly popular game or other games with mainstream potential.

Keep in mind the sites who only post about those ultra-niche things are run by hobbyists doing that sort of thing for fun. We travel to as many events we can for hands-on stuff, and have a staff of both full-time and freelance people to keep an eye on the App Store 24/7. I'm not sure that sort of thing would be possible if we chose to specifically post things all the time that I know won't resonate with our community just to make people who like a specific type of obscure board game happy or whatever.