Discussion thread for strategy RPGs!!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lupus, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Lupus

Lupus Active Member

Oct 10, 2009
    I know that many people here love these games, and I am equally sure that the iphone platform can easily support these kind of games. Famous examples include: Final Fantasy Tactics (my favorite by far), Fire Emblem, Advanced Wars (though I dont find it very RPG-like)

This thread was created for us to discuss and publicize our love for the genre in hopes that some fantastic dev will drop by and see that it has like, 10,000 posts and try to get our money:D

What qualifies as a strategy RPG? IMO, first, it is an RPG so there has to be a storyline AND character progression like FFT's job system (which is why I dont think mecho wars or advanced wars really count). Second, it obviously has to include strategic elements, most commonly a grid based battle system of some sort.

2. GumGuts

GumGuts Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    I to are fanz of srpg.

I think there are a lot of things that could qualify it as such. FFT is probably the most hard core and best one there is, I never really took to Fire Emblem much, it just kind of bugged me.

Advanced Wars was my favorite GBA game out there, that and FFT. What great games. I think it would be neat if it had a sort of (bare with me) Warhammer 40k Damn of War twist, where you can upgrade and customize your CO, and have honor guard and such. So it's not all Fire Emblem, it's a little bit of FFT and Advanced Wars combined. If you could replace the lame map system in FFT with the DoW Dark Crusade one and use the CO upgrading system, then have it be combined with AW, that would be beatiful. :*)

You have to do it right though, the graphics where just perfect in both games (FFT and AW), and not too complicated. That'd be the hard part.

When you wish upon a star...

3. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Advance Wars isn't an SRPG, its straight strategy...

4. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Check out the Battle for Wesnoth thread... Should be available by the end of the month...