iPad Air vs iPad Mini w/Retina

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ibMurph, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ibMurph

ibMurph Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    I just finished watching the live event at work but missed a few things, and now I'm kind of confused. Am I correct in saying that the iPad Mini now comes with the retina display and is also just as powerful as the new iPad Air? They both have the A7 64 bit chip in them right? So does this mean the only true benefit to the iPad Air is the larger screen size? If this is the case then I'm gonna seriously have to rethink which one I'm going to get, and take a trip out to the local Apple store and get hands on with the mini to see how I like the screen size.

2. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I really wasn't expecting near identical specs on the two. This certainly opens the new mini as a decision for me.

I'm torn as far as where I should go. I don't want to spend more than $499 on a device. I'm wanting 32GB storage, so the mini would be the easier choice for me, instead of the 16GB Air.

3. ibMurph

ibMurph Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    I too want 32gb's as well and was fully prepared to drop $599 on whatever new full sized ipad apple unveiled, but that was because I was assuming it would be the more powerful of the two. Now I just really don't know, is an ipad mini gonna truly fulfill me while also saving me $100? Oi vey, I've got some soul searching to do.

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I was hoping that after seeing the Mini sell well Apple would bring the new Mini up to par with the full size iPad. Really happy to see that is the case, I will be picking up a new iPad Mini 32GB later in November.

5. Don't go 16 gb no matter what you buy, you will regret the small size cause now with the mini retina, apps will be getting bigger and bigger.

6. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I currently own a iPad Mini 64GB, and I only got around 300mb free. :(

I'm not sure I'll upgrade, but if I'm going to upgrade, it's going to be a 128GB Retina iPad Mini for sure! ;)

But I'm still not compelled to upgrade. The display is not a big deal to me, and the Mini I have now is still plenty fast enough and still rocks all the latest and greatest games without hiccups.

Let's wait and see.

7. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    iPad air??? Is this going to last 3 months and then get replaced with the iPad pro?
    (2 levels of MacBook - air and pro - will it happen here?)

8. Microsoft does the same thing with the surface. Guess ipad pro would be a laptop replacement along those lines.

9. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    So ipad air is a bad purchase?

Really don't want to stay with this iPod 4 any longer but I don't want to buy a device that's obsolete at launch.

10. I doubt that apple would come out with a laptop tablet ipad pro for a pretty long time. Apple makes fun of Microsoft doing it, so they won't do it til the market calls for tablet laptops.

11. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #11 Aventador, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    You can always go with iPad mini if you don't mind smaller screen, much more attractive in every aspect than iPad Air, I really thought they would include more new stuff in new iPad ( Air ) .

12. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I'm keeping that in mind. Thanks. I'm on an 8GB 6.4GB storage, I know how painful it is on low storage.

I hope not. I really can't imagine them pulling a 180 in a few months with a better device.

I can't wait that much longer before getting a new ipad. I would like to see how they are with the unannounced specs before moving forward.

13. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I like the idea of an ipad mini retina. Seems like this time around the mini isn't cut down on hardware so much as to make it a hard purchase. I don't need the Air.

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My thoughts exactly.

15. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Honestly, I am also highly elated that the new ipad mini is on par with ipad air both in resolution and processing power. I have always hated the big ipad for gaming as I use iOS devices primarily for gaming (and my Note II) for every other thing and I have come to terms that the mini is the perfect gaming machine because of it's size, weight and compactness.

I am so glad about this honestly and have put my iPad Mini 32GB WiFi up for sale already and will be picking up the Retina version 32GB WiFi & 3G.

Can't wait.

16. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've got an iPad 3 and I'm going to buy the 128 GB iPad Air as soon as it arrives in Denmark.

The iPad Mini looks great, but in the end I don't think I'd use it for anything else than an ebook reader...

Surfing the web and playing games, for me, requires the bigger screen.

I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't get Touch ID this time around, and I'm crossing fingers and toes that well get at least 2 GB RAM.
    It sucks that Apple never reports the amount of RAM in their devices and well have to wait for reviewers to reveal it to us.

17. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Hold back the specs of new iPads to make the mini seem more appealing. Genius.

18. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    It's definitely a better idea than taking two gen old hardware and making the mini. This should be better for devs to if the end hardware is pretty much identical to the Air as they don't have to fight as much trying to support so many platforms.

Whatever the case. I'm excited for the mini with retina (why couldn't they just call it the Mini2 or Air Mini). Seems like it'll be good for reading and gaming and will be pretty easy to carry around.

19. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I am thinking if I do most of my gaming and net surfing at home I should just go ahead and get the full sized one. If I don't plan to be all that mobile with it that seems like the more logical choice.

20. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    I'm shocked and pleased that the specs are going to be the same, it makes the mini a slam dunk IMO. For anyone who games on ipad but hasn't held the min, u need to try it out. The size is perfect for holding in both hands and even landscape feels like a natural controller. Throw in the cheaper price and its simply a no brainer. my mini is perfect but ill just sell it for 250 or so and get the new mini...altho ill prob wait for the JB of course.