iPhone dev program enrollment wait

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by petes117, Apr 2, 2009.

1. petes117

petes117 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    3D Animator
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi guys
    I've just created my own company that I am the sole Director of, and have attempted to sign up to the iPhone development program as a company.

Ive yet to pay the $99, but I got an email from Apple saying: "Thank you for your interest... your enrollment request has been received and is being processed..."
    and then further down:
    "We will be contacting your legal representative you provided for verification purposes"

So I have two questions

Am I on the right track to being enrolled?
    I've read horror stories of people receiving similar messages and never being accepted.

I stated that my legal representative was me, seeing as I'm the sole Director of my company.
    Was that correct? Will Apple actually contact me about this and what documentation will I need if any?

Thanks for your time

2. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    That all sounds correct, and Apple will contact you. You'll get an email asking to Fax some documentation for proof of your business (Ficticious Business Statement or Business License/etc.) They make it pretty clear as to which documents they'll accept as proof and how to get the information to them.

The only bummer is that the entire process (for me at least) took a month. It was a few weeks before the initial email asking for a fax.. then a few more weeks while they process it.

Definitely get this process going at the very beginning.. then it's no problem to have this going in the background as you develop your app. (Although you won't have a certificate to install the app on your device until your approval goes through..)

3. lithiastudios

Jan 9, 2009
    BTW: The $99 payment comes at the very end of the whole approval process. That's a whole new waiting process where you pay and then wait to hear back again. :) (But much shorter - took about a day from sending my payment to actually being approved to the Developer Portal)

4. luis

luis Member

Paying is the last step, after you've done all the paper work.

Just filling the form doesn't actually start the process. You need to fax one of the forms of identification they require. I sent the articles of incorporation.

Yes, you are correct in listing yourself as the legal representative of your company. Initially I listed the lawyer that keeps or corporate books, which ended delaying the whole thing. What they want is a person that is authorized to speak on behalf of the company and verbally confirm you want to enroll.

In my experience, Apple won't contact you about any missing documentation. But they will contact you once they have everything to get a verbal confirmation.

The whole thing took 3 weeks for me, included a couple of phone calls to sort out who is supposed to be the legal representative.

5. petes117

Mar 18, 2009
    3D Animator
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for the replies, that is a huge relief for me! :D

Good to know that everyone else has had to go through this too

Though I can't imagine Apple will want to call me over the phone seeing as I live in New Zealand.

6. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    petes,

I would have just signed up as an individual. Did you actually create the company?

7. petes117

Mar 18, 2009
    3D Animator
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yes I created the company.
    I'm hoping this will turn into a long-term thing, gotta start somewhere ;)

8. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008

Last summer I signed up as a company.. It took about 2-3 months until I got approved to even pay my $99.

My friend who signed up later than I did, signed up as an individual and got into the program much faster than I did.

Not sure what the wait is like now a days

9. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Took me about 3 hours total.

10. petes117

Mar 18, 2009
    3D Animator
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Was that as a company?? How long ago was that?

11. BJamUT

BJamUT New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    How long does each step take was a big question for me. Bottom line was 18 days from start to finish (for a Standard Program company enrollment.) I logged each step (including emails received, status changes, etc.) along the way and how long each step took on my blog:

http://iphonedevex.blogspot.com/

12. iGame

iGame Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    What do you mean by starting your own company o_O Do you have to pay $99 to sell apps? Thanks~

13. petes117

Mar 18, 2009
    3D Animator
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Interesting blog thanks for the detailed breakdown of the enrollment process.

I hope my enrollment goes as smoothly as yours! I'm approaching Day4...

14. BJamUT

BJamUT New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Thanks. I'm glad you found it to be helpful. I hope it goes smoothly for you as well. :)

15. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    Very quick!

Well it seems my experience of registering as an individual was pretty quick.

I completed my registration and added the $99 program package to my cart at around 7:00am this morning. At 8:46am I received my activation code ;-).

It wont be as fast when I registered later on with my company I guess (it wont be until a few more months).

Fred

16. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I've been waiting for weeks after submitting my 99$!

17. lithiastudios

Jan 9, 2009
    Have you contacted Apple? That seems excessive after paying your $99 fee.

18. kcaz

kcaz Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I was thinking of signing up to testmy apps n the iPhone. So how does the whole thing work? You send the forms, then what does apple give you? I know the code needs to be signed, so how does that happen?

19. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

I just registered my company with Apple and I guess I'm going to have to wait for a few weeks (if not month) for the process to be done...

Has anyone got any more recent turnaround & timeframe from Apple for their company paperwork acceptance? is it still around a month?

Thanks in advance

20. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    a friend of mine requested it yesterday (as individual) and got it activated today