Is it possible to have IAPs work on both regular and HD versions?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Jamvert, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Jamvert

Jamvert Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    I am wondering, if you have a game with in app purchases and the game has both a regular and HD version, is it possible to make it so that if a user buys an in app purchase on the regular version and later updates to HD they can download the in app purchase on their HD version for free?

2. jpang

jpang Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    You would probably need to do some syncing with a server.

3. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    yeah, unless you use a server to track each user's purchase, you can't link the 2 versions, because they have 2 different app IDs.

4. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    That is a bit of a shame. Makes me somewhat hesitant to have IAPs and an HD version.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    ? if you have 2 different versions and not a universal that usualy means you want todo different things with the 2 versions like different prices, content whatever..

so if customer x buys the hd version why should he not pay also for the hd iap?

like stated before iap works is bound to the iap and if you don't want to place your own accounting layer ontop of it (collecting user data, managing accounts etc.) then there is no way, no..

still i don't see the point here.. maybe you want to elaborate a bit more on your actual situation regarding it

6. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    Well, what I was thinking of doing is releasing an IAP or two for Tactical Warrior. I figure, down the road, I might also think of releasing an HD version of it, which would be a universal.

I worry a little that people who have been yearning for an HD version but buy the IAPs for the basic version might be a bit miffed, if later the HD version comes out and they have to buy their IAPs again to use them in the HD version.

7. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    Just make your game universal.

8. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well he wants to make an HD version thats universal.. so he has an iphone version and a universal hd version..

well i assume that if you have a fan who buys the iphone version + iap and then goes to buy the hd version he probably won't have much of an problem to buy the iap again.. since he obviously needs to be much of a fan for your product to even consider spending money again on the same stuff but in "big"..

i would not worry about that much, of course there will be always a moaner here or there.. but unless a majority of customers burn down your house.. its safe to say most people don't care and stick to one version.. especialy if the hd release is so much down the road..

9. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Seeing how the HD version is pricier, I think it would be fair to include all IAP for free. Why?

1) Provides incentive to upgrade to HD version
    2) Makes people feel happy and more likely to support you
    3) Doesn't make those who bought the IAP on non-HD version angry

For me, would I upgrade to HD version if I already bought it on mobile?

If I haven't bought IAP:

"Hmm, I get all IAP, and the game would work better on a larger screen." Chance to purchase.

If I had bought IAP:

"Crap, I already bought IAP. If I upgrade I will have lost money." Very low chance to purchase.

10. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    how would you have lost money? you got your money worth with the iap and your time yo've spend playing the game and its content on the device of your choice

so there is no money lost but the hole experience gets more expensive..

maybe a better choice to differentiate the both version is to not make the HD version universal.. this gives you and your customers a clear cut between devices

i find the "HD + universal" and "iphone only" one only makes sense if you start right ahead with both versions on day one.. releasing the universal at a later stage can always look oddly, because with one version you can share the content and iap and with the other not..

at the end i doubt much customers will really care.. if people played your game they already invested time and money into it.. on mobile devices or in 2x mode on the tablet..

so by the time the ipad version comes along most customer will see it as a new game rather than just the ipad version..