Mobile Game Art

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by emc2r, Feb 15, 2012.

1. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi Folks,

Finished with the GDD. Handed over the development to my friend. I am in charge of game art delivery. We have an artist and plan to also outsource to a freelancer. Would help if you can help me with these questions.

W
    1. hat should I keep in mind for creating graphics?
    2. Is there a style followed while doing for mobiles?
    3. Which software and tools do they use to create characters like Angry Birds, Cut the rope, etc

2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    1. You should keep in mind the resolution:
    1024 X 768 for the ipad
    480 × 320 3G et 3GS
    960 × 640 px for the iphone 4/4S
    Android: probably several resolution.

The ratio Height/width are not the same, and the resolution are not the same.
    I ask my artist to work with resolution of 2048X 1536 (double of the ipad) for a fullscreen. I can scale everything without losing in quality.

You can make canvas picture, to help your artist simulate different ratio and resolution (that's what I do).

2. Keep your UI simple like ios.

3. You can use photoshop, or illustrator (or other..) to create something like angry bird.
    Illustrator is probably the best tool for the kid of graph, but my girl friend get a good vecto style with photoshop. But I think you should find an artist, and let him decide what tool he will use.

3. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
  4. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hey. Thanks for the info. Will keep in mind 2048X 1536.

I found this software - http://inkscape.org/ - which is a cool vector based software for graphic work.

We have not been successful in getting a good and reasonably priced artist, and hence decided to jump in myself.

Any1 has any info/links on how to use Highlights?