Pocket God - Useless game??

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by man_Alive!, Aug 5, 2009.

1. man_Alive!

man_Alive! Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Just download the game after all the hype and for it being in the top 25 for ages....but i dont get it!! do you just kill them and kicks out of it?

Man_Alive!

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

In before this thread goes down in flames.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yes! We do it for the sadistic pleasure of maiming Mid-Pacific midgets! Muahaha!

4. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    its not a game its an entertainment app with minigames
    basicallly you are the "God" on the world of Pygmies and you do differentthings that can be nice or mean to them its not useless its something to do when your bored

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    yes, it's a fun stress reliever with mini games...and it makes great crossover material

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    You were still too late! :p

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's the epitome of "meh".

8. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    i deleted the game 5 minutes after syncing. Just not my type i guess...I wasn't too enraged tho cuz i got it from a promo code : )

9. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yes.

That is all.

Can be fun... at like small increments. I usually will play it upon a new update for 5 mins and then that's it. But there was a period where I didnt touch it for like 8 updates (like episode 12 - 20) but I still play it here and there.

10. mek

mek Well-Known Member

I also bought it because of all the hype in the first couple episodes, and thought it to be not that entertaining, but the recent direction of mini games in the last couple of weeks has made it worth the 99 cents... The Papi/Doodle Jump mini game is awesome and i hope that they continue to install lil mini games

11. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    /agree

I got it when it first came out (damn you, hype) and felt it was such a rip-off. I mean it was somewhat entertaining but got boring so fast.

Since the past few updates though, and since the addition of achievements, it has gotten to be more of a fun pick up and play here and there timekiller

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Eh it barely scrapes "okay-ish" in my book.
    They have added a lot of content.
    Still I don't understand how people spend hours on this. To date I've probably spent 10 mintues at most

13. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    This.

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Ok 1 off, it isn't a game.
    2nd, does any game have any use other than entertainment? Pocket God is entertaining as are other games. I mean you won't find a game that can do your tie up or give you a lift down to the shops.

Pocket God isn't meant for hardcore gamers, it isn't even meant for gamers. It is just a fun little app to waste a couple minutes.
    The one thing that keeps this game going it it's updates.
    Think of it as a book.
    Say you have only one chapter. You read that chapter and then read it again a couple of times, then you get bored. But all of a sudden, a new chapter is brought out and you have something else to do. Even if you only play with the new update for only a couple minutes before the next update, the frequency of the updates make up for it (If you can understand me, lol).

I think it is a good little time waster, nothing amazing, but it is pretty entertaining. If it wasn't for the frequent updates however, it would be nothing.

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I agree with what you're saying, but there are a bunch of people that treat this like the Holy Grail of the app store. The updates are nice, but kinda a gimmick too. It distracts people from the fact that they're not really doing anything.

16. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Pocket God is mindless fun. When I want more mature I go with Black and White for PC.

17. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    It is not my type of app but there is more to it than some games.

1 1.0 01/09/09 Nowhere To Go, Nothin' To Do You can flick and levitate the Pygmies.
    2 1.1 01/14/09 Does this Megabyte Make My App Look Fat? Several updates to the game engine.
    3 1.2 01/20/09 You Always Hurt the One You Lava Added a volcano which you can flick Pygmies into. After three hits, the volcano will erupt sending lava onto the island.
    4 1.3 01/29/09 Shake That App! Added gravity features allowing Pygmies to be slid across the screen and into the water. You can also create an earthquake by shaking the device.
    5 1.4 02/05/09 A Storm is Coming Added storm clouds and lightning which can electrocute the Pygmies.
    6 1.5 02/14/09 And on the 7th Day, Rest! Ability to change between Day and Night.
    7 1.6 02/20/09 Just Give Us 5 Minutes Added the ability to make the Pygmies dance by tapping the screen. This is unlocked after playing the game for five minutes. The boulder was also added.
    8 1.7 02/26/09 Jump the Shark Added a shark to the ocean which can eat the Pygmies.
    9 1.8 03/06/09 Idle Hands Added top menu and more gravity functionality. Added more idle animations to the Pygmies.
    10 1.9 03/15/09 Hi, Dracula! Added the ability to tap the moon and unleash a vampire bat which turns Pygmies into vampires who knock other Pygmies off the island. It is destroyed at daytime. Also added an eclipse with the boulder and sunrise - hold the boulder over the sun.
    11 1.10 03/24/09 A Mighty Wind Added the ability to create a hurricane which hurl the Pygmies around the island and drop them in the ocean.
    12 1.11 04/08/09 Something Fishy... Added a fishing rod and fish to catch and eat. Also added an open feint with chat rooms and leader boards.
    13 1.12 04/08/09 March of the Fire Ants Added an anthill and magnifying glass to the island. It allows you to burn the Pygmies and release the man-eating ants.
    14 1.13 04/17/09 Say my Name! Added the ability to name the Pygmies and tribe. It also allows you to see exactly how many times you sacrificed a Pygmy and how many gifts you gave them.
    15 1.14 04/28/09 A New Home This update added a new island to explore that contains an outhouse, as well as a mysterious egg.
    16 1.15 05/08/09 The Tyrannosaurus Strikes Back! When player drops the egg three times, a Tyrannosaurus appears and begins eating the Pygmies. Also, the Moai statue is changed to an octopus god and a story about the islands background included that you can read if you press the help button.
    17 1.16 05/19/09 Return of the Pygmy The Pygmies now get to have a spear! You can give the Pygmies a spear to fight off the Tyrannosaurus Rex. There is a health bar at the bottom of the screen and once it is emptied (by hitting the T-Rex with the spear) the T-Rex will fall into the water. There are also buttons for toggling the outhouse functionality and cracking the T-Rex egg. Also, an easter egg was added so that if players press the octopus god statue a few times in rapid succession, the Pygmies that are currently on the island are vaporized and the statue mumbles 'You Know You Like Pocket God'. A god statistic screen is revealed, but doesn't save users changes due to a small glitch. The game is upgraded to iPhone OS 2.2.1
    18 1.17 06/01/09 Surf's Up! Generate a tsunami by pushing the water from side to side. This opens up a new underwater area with a new danger. A mysterious statue protects ancient ruins. Tap the statue and release a deadly spear that 'skewers' the Pygmies. Push the water down to return to any Island. The new god stat screen is fixed and allows users to change their god type and shows user their achievements. Due to complaints the game is downgraded to iPhone OS 2.2
    19 1.18 06/17/09 Fun n' Games until A Pygmy Gets Hurt Pocket God now includes achievements that turn some pocket god activities into mini-games. The achievements are; consecutive coconut bounces, consecutive shark snaps, underwater skewer, pygmy bowling and hurricane zaps. Now, to move water or sky you need to use two fingers. This will avoid accidentally triggering the tsunami or accidentally changing the weather. This was also a cleanup update to correct many glitches and optimize animations.
    20 1.19 07/03/09 Stop! My App Is On Fire! This update gives the pygmies wood to make a fire so they can cook fish and warm themselves. The wood will drop from the sky and the pygmies will carry it over to a bonfire. When all wood pieces are there hit it with lightning and it will catch on fire. You can roast a fish over the fire and players can also burn it. Giving the burnt fish to a pygmy will make the pygmy choke and fall into the water. Players can also cook pygmies so that they turn rock-hard, something called being "marshmallowed". Players can then slap the other pygmies with the marshmallowed pygmy. A new background is added for the area under the sea. The two fingered sky and water movement controls are reverted to one finger controls after difficulties arising from the two finger system.
    21 1.20 07/09/09 Flipping the Bird The island has a new visitor, a flying Dodo bird with the opposite of constipation. Poke the bird to drop bird bombs on the pygmies. There's also a minigame in which the player has to drop the most feces consecutively without missing as possible. The bird will go after caught fish (but can catch a pygmy if one is holding the fish). The birds can also be cooked and hit by lightning. Achievements are now recorded in Feint and a whirlpool and more fauna animations are added into the underwater area.
    22 1.21 7/24/09 Ooga Jump This update has the first ever proper game in Pocket God. It is similar to Doodle Jump. When you Drag a pygmy over the cloud line and drop him, he bounces off the cloud and is propelled up into the sky. In the sky, there are 4 types of clouds: a normal cloud which bounces the pygmy further into the air, a thundercloud which lights a pygmy on fire and shoots him even higher up, an ice cloud which freezes a pygmy and prevents him from jumping as high, and a "fake" cloud which disappears when you try to jump on it. If you fail to hit a cloud, the pygmy falls back down to the island and is squished. New achievements were also added in this update.
    23 1.22 TBA Bait Master In this update you guide Piranha that come in from the side of the screen to eat floating Pygmies and when they are full from eating, you give them a path to take them back off screen. When a Pygmy is eaten, he dies and floats to the surface and you have to add another Pygmy to be eaten and the game ends when two Piranhas touch each other or two Piranhas try and eat the same Pygmy. The more Piranhas you feed, the faster they start arriving.And a spin where you can actually add Pygmies and drag them where ever you want rather than have docks that sit in one place.Also they made two improvements to Ooga Jump, they changed it so there will not be any impossible jumps anymore, and made it so you see Doodler sooner and you'll never see two Doodlers on the screen at the same time.
    24 1.23 TBA Idle Hands 2 This update will add more idle features to the Pygmies when they are not in use. Also they are implementing Buddy Challenges through Feint.
    24 1.24 TBA TBA Announced to update the shark feature and have another underwater mini-game in it.

18. PacSun4dc

PacSun4dc Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Atlanta,GA
    nice from wikipedia :D

19. KevinRyan

KevinRyan Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Computer Game Designer
    Shaver Lake, CA
    You know Pocket God always reminds me of Johnny Castaway which was a screen saver for Windows that came out in 1993. Its not supposed to be a game, just entertaining. And unlike Johnny you can interact with Pocket God.

20. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Hey, it's worth a buck for the art design alone...and they've added a lot, but it's kind of like that saying, "talking loud but saying nothing".