Universal I Am Level (by Smiling Bag)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Sep 14, 2013.

1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Just wondering if you've considered getting some attention on speccy sites such as http://www.worldofspectrum.org ?

I think this'll be right up their street!

Q =D

2. I voted for this as gotw cause nothing really struck me that much this week, this is an underdog but does everything well, be sure to vote for it everyone!

3. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    A really good game

What a lovely game!

This is one of those games that goes usually unnoticed, but that, once you start playing it, can't put it down.

I'm glad it received a proper review, it deserves more attention.
    Kudos on the developer, a man of word, who made it free till October. My advice would be: if you enjoy playing this game, comes october, buy a copy to gift to a friend (that's at least what I'm planning to do).

We need to help this developer get a full copy of Unity, so he can build a better game. He's commited to a no-ads, no-IAP policy, so he'll need all the help he can get.

As Tuxedosteve said earlier, the Jet Set Willy/Manic Miner inspiration is great, and if you've played on a Spectrum, this game reminds you of those good old days, but with a modern iPhone touch that makes it really fun.

If you've never played on a Spectrum before, go to World of Spectrum, get an emulator and play some Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Bruce Lee, Skool Daze, Jetpack, Sir Fred, Abu Simbel Profanation, Saimazoom, etc.

I'm still unlocking new levels and save points. Really great game!

4. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Interesting metroid-ish pinball platformer thing.

Issues:
    Can't flip screen orientation. The position of the headphone jack on iphone 5 makes it more awkward to hold the phone horizontal with the home button on the right. (Which is how this game is.)

I don't like motion controls as much as touch controls.

Somehow, the music stopped when I left the game temporarily when I first tried the game, and I had to close it to bring the music back... but it doesn't seem to be losing the music now. *shrug*

5. Robot:String

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    Happened to me too, when I locked the phone and returned to the game. :/
    Weird.

6. Looks like the screen rotation is now fixed!

7. CartoonDan

CartoonDan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I just got this game and it is a really good hard game. It is really well made and has a good save system.

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Woke up this morning and checked my Twitter Feed to see from QS here that Stew Hogarth passed away recently. Whilst I didn't know him personally at all I absolutely adored I Am Level and I always find it incredibly sad when someone younger and more talented than me passes away.
    Proper good game and a proper decent bloke. Condolences to all who knew him.

9. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    You know, I came here to mention this, worried that it might have gone unnoticed and that a talented developer would just be forgotten.

And here you are, Slam, beating me to it and restoring my faith in humanity at the same time!

Thank you for posting this. I'm sure his family and friends will take comfort that he won't be forgotten.

*sheepyhugs for everyone*

QS

10. Robot:String

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    #50 Robot:String, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Yep, I'm deeply saddened by the news.
    I heard it from "Fist of Awesome" developer Nicoll Hunt.

As you can see from what I posted in the past, I really liked the game.

It is trully a tragedy. Such a young guy. :(
    He left a mark in this world. And I'll keep honoring him by playing his game for as long as I can.

Farewell, Chicknstu.

11. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    So sad to hear, my condolences to his family & friends.
    I love I Am Level and I was hoping to see more from this young, talented guy.
    Makes me cry, but I will keep on playing his games.
    Farewell Stewart...