My launch experience wasn't good

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Planetman, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    So I launched a drawing type game very popular with 60 installs free game with inapp purchases and Chartboost and all results are zero earnings in Itunesconnect and zero earnings with Chartboost

ITs flippin depressing when you have a $180 million dollar game under your belt

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

It is a sad market, I don't know anyone making decent money right now. The market is so full of free games being free doesn't even equate to downloads anymore.

I would suggest you put a link to your game in this thread though, people might check it out.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yes it seems very strange when after a lot of threads/posts here he doesnt even create a new thread for this in the games section or ipod apps section

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I'm not surprised. The kinds of questions you are asking tells me you're a beginner to the industry, with no experience. Use this project to learn how to build, how to market, how to design and most importantly how not to make the same mistakes you did on this project.

I find it super strange that you asked how hard it is to make a drawing game yesterday, and then tell use you launched a drawing game today! Why did you waste our time if you already knew?

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    put a link so we can make intelligent discussion.

By the way you don't have a 180m game under your belt, someone else does.

6. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    That was drawing tools How hard to code them not game

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    are you going to post a link or just try to let your game die as quickly as possible?

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    For the amount of marketing you did, 60 installs is pretty good. I mean you couldn't even bothered doing the simple free things I am not sure what makes you think it would end up in anything but a few people. 60 is more than I would of guessed.

I have read in general less than 1% of people buy an IAP (for my games that have a premium and free version I have about 1% of my downloads being paid). With only 60 downloads zero IAP is an expected result. Also do your stats tell you people are playing or are they just downloading saying boring and closing the app?

On chartboost, you tend to not make much until someone clicks an ad and installs, then you make a lot. How many impressions have you made? Is anyone clicking?

Also comparing yourself to 180m app is clearly ridiculous. It sounds to me like you are mainly focused on getting rich quick than making a quality app. You aren't in the right place for get rich quick schemes. It takes hard work, talent and a bit of luck.

Congrats on finally releasing a game/app however.

The only correlation I have seen for success is the number of apps released which tells me experience is important.

9. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    multi

10. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    multiplayer requires a good player base....

11. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sadly, this is no longer the 2009 goldrush. Mobile games are a very hard market to crack. As Destined noted: 60 installs for no marketing is very decent. You really need to get the word out about your game and decide if you want to continue pushing it or make something else.

I am curious what you mean by having an 180 million dollar game under your belt? Is this your perceived worth of your game? is this what your developer's previous game made? etc

12. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    Well its drawing type game like Draw Something

I have 169 installs now but still depressing stats say $ zero

13. Alda Games

Alda Games Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    So, are you going to share with us the link or not?

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i'm starting to give up. He hasnt posted a link here when it was out, and despite 33,000 people asking him for the link hes still not posting it. Dont get it

15. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    #15 Destined, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Based on what you have said/posted I assume your app is rather poor in quality, compared to something which is popular, well done and has the market cornered. I wouldn't expect you will make more than a few dollars from it over the lifetime of the time. While it obviously won't be a profitable experience for you it is good to of actually released something.

Again 169 is good based on what you are doing.

I doubt he has any clue. There are people here who would install and share if it was good. When you have an app and you aren't willing to tell people you are dooming it. When you have no/little marketing budget you have to take every chance you can get.

16. ben_pxlplz

ben_pxlplz Active Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I can sympathize. We just launched Star Saver a couple of days ago, and I'm a little bit disappointed (quite a bit actually) with the launch numbers. Although the reception has been fantastic so far.

Just to give some perspective, we had a small team working on it for over 3 years (there's a Kickstarter thread around here somewhere from like 2011), and we have several ads running on different sites.

If you're interested you can check it out: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-saver/id829013676?ls=1&mt=8

Mobile really is a hard nut to crack, and I sure haven't figured it out. And this IS coming from someone who worked on million dollar games. There's a heck of a difference between production and marketing though and I have no idea how to market or sell for mobile.

In any case, don't get discouraged. I'm really trying hard not to.

17. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Your game looks fantastic. Trailer is very well put together. I hope it does a decent return for you. I see you have gone a shareware model so I will have to check it out tonight. I empathize with your long development time: our tiny team have been working on a somewhat ambitious game for nearly 5 years - and we still have another 6 months to go.

18. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Agreed, interesting pricing with the large (in mobile games) unlock fee. I will download tonight and if good tweet about it to try and help.

That is a long time to work on a mobile game!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hate hearing stories like this. Devs work for ages on a game and then have minimal downloads. Played your game a fair bit last night, its really good (left an honest opinion in your thread).

We're in danger of having tons of freemium crap or clones if people just dont help out good indie devs. You even have a good system of people can try the game for free then unlock the rest, love that 'shareware' type of system. Hopefully word of mouth will start to help

20. ben_pxlplz

ben_pxlplz Active Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I really appreciate the feedback! We just submitted a couple bug fixes and, to your point in the other thread, we're working on trying to speed up that intro (without breaking anything).

Launches are *so* hard!