Dungeon Defenders Suggestions & Patch Details

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PMasher@TrendyEnt, Dec 18, 2010.

1. PMasher@TrendyEnt

PMasher@TrendyEnt Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #1 PMasher@TrendyEnt, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    Hey guys! This is going to be a thread where we compile your DD:FW suggestions and let you know what's making it into the next patch. Feel free to leave more suggestions here, we'll be updating this first post regularly!

Confirmed Changes

*Raised Max Item level to 15, and Max Hero Level to 70
    *Eliminated low cap on Speed stat and changed how the results of this stat are calculated
    *INSANE Difficulty is much, much harder (and so is HARD)... good luck
    *Rebalanced item drops to make super items harder to get
    *Fixed some levelling & item farming exploits
    *Adding GameSpy for multi-platform iOS-Android gameplay! GameSpy supports Private Matches, Game Naming, Game Browsing, and an array of search filters.
    *GameCenter support for private matches, and fixes for Inviting
    *Better voice chat stability
    *Many GameCenter & iOS crashes eliminated
    *iOS 4.1 support
    *Various new item drop types
    *Big performance boost due to media optimization, and some code optimization
    *Various gameplay tweaks for a better balance
    *New Tutorial video explains the game in a minute, by default replacing the former interactive tutorial (though that's left in as an option)
    *Performance scaling option for iOS, user can now reduce resolution and detail to further increase performance even more as they see fit
    *Replaced on-screen Pause button with Character button which allows fast-healing, moved Pause button into character submenu
    *Rebalanced item value ramp so that super-items don't sell for ridiculous amounts
    *A brand new Campaign level & Challenge mission created specifically for high-level hero teams... because we appreciate the support of you hardcore defenders
    * Lots of minor bug fixes and game tweaks too numerous to list here... (among the many, Targeting Dummies now print DPS as you're attacking them haha )
    * Familiars re-added to iOS version
    ** Items now have a level requirement based on their quality, and also tell you which class is necessary to use them in the popup overlay

Will update this list as more is added. Looking forward to submitting this patch around the end of the year and having it in your hands as 2011 newly rolls in.

Now get back to playin'... you're gonna need mad stats to conquer the new INSANE mode missions!!

-Jeremy

Suggestions/Errors (bold means already fixed/improved):
    4.1 Support
    Swipe Camera instead of button based killercow
    Respec Option gospel9
    Horizontal Levelling/Equipment Menus AchillesReborn gospel9
    Less Crowded UI dyscode CyberData4 clarsonx
    Fixed angle camera gospel9 BazookaTime Axidrain NoThru22
    Ability to close/hide tutorial text gospel9 Gabrian h1976
    Pinch Zoom CyberData4 Axidrain
    Enemy icons instead of minimap CyberData4 Qordobo NoThru22
    Crashing at loading screen while connecting to GC Masmo
    Low Framerate GBX Caprone
    Scrolling UI Item Box gospel9
    Smaller iPad UI Qordobo
    Custom UI Qordobo kileriukaslektuviukas Caprone
    Bubble pop ups with arrows instead of semi transparent boxs in Tutorial JCat
    Semi Transparent menus in tutorial are hard to read badmanj
    Option to choose language in-game Caprone
    Italian, German, Spanish translation fixes Caprone tblrsa
    Game Center issues
    Scaled down UI with smaller buttons Eng
    PDF tutorial trystero
    Crash after losing Arcy

2. kileriukaslektuviukas

kileriukaslektuviukas Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Lithuania
    Control scheme needs more customization!

3. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    Why does this game require iOS 4.2?

4. thewolf16

thewolf16 Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Please make it playable on iOS 4.1.

5. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    1) VoiceOver volume slider as well as sfx and music
    2) the buttons don't deselect if the finger slides away whilst still pressing down, if I click on delete, start game, options etc, it should allow me to unpress the button.
    3) option to set transparency/opaque level of GUI
    4) smaller GUI features on pad so the action isn't obscured
    5) swipe camera controls

6. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    4.1 compatibility is already bolded.

(Release it nowww! I'm pretty sure you'll double your sales with that one "feature"!)

Also, I'm reading complaints on a drastic slow down, especially with 4th gen devices?

And tap the tutorial to close it imo.

7. Arcy

Arcy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    College graduate
    If you put in a respec option, it should cost mana to do so. Don't let people have a free ride for respecs.

When it comes to selling looted equipment, the dialog boxes cover up other dialog boxes. Maybe instead of 4 items per screen, reduce the amount or make the pictures smaller? The way I had to get through the screen was memorize the placement of each button. Thank goodness there is a confirmation box for selling items.

8. Revlisoft

Revlisoft Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    #8 Revlisoft, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
    Great game but they really need to fix this on the iPad. It gets really jerky after a while and crashes a lot even after a reboot. I have an iPhone 4 but it's definitely much easier to play on an iPad. It's unfortunate the iPad has 1/2 the memory of an iPhone 4. Please optimize the iPad version so it's more stable.

Some suggestions

- Buttons: Move the store in bank and equip away from each other. Sometimes I want to store the item and press equip which is really bad if I equip a really bad piece of item! Maybe make a default where if the item is equal or thumbs down automatically store and if it's a thumbs up automatically equip.

- Separate buttons for repair so I can repair right away. When it goes into the repair mode and the view changes to zoom in I can't see which one I want to repair. The same goes for upgrade. All TD games lets you click on your tower and click upgrade. It makes no sense having to go to a menu to select upgrade and then click on your target tower. Make it so that you click on your tower -> pop up options to upgrade, repair and possibly sell (with confirm)

- Move the jump button farther away from the attack button

- I really hate how the wall changes your angle. Can you make it so that the angle is always the same but when it comes to walls make it transparent so you always keep the angle?

- a menu that shows the current people in your online game with the ability to add them to your GC friends list.

- Also fix the item menu. It's always so hard to look at the items because they block each other. Separate the items into categories or something and when you select an item put the current item you are wearing in a separate window so it doesn't block the view of the other items. Maybe change the item icon to be much smaller until I select it.

- Skip the loading movie if I have already seen it. It just wastes precious memory which can be used for the game on the iPad

- Listen to my own music playlist

-ability to rejoin a game I dc'ed from either due to connection issues or the game crashing if the spot is still open.

- when upgrading items show me what attributes can be upgraded since not all attributes can be upgraded.

- I would LOVE to play this on my iPhone 4 too but I don't want to start over my characters. If there was a way to sync my iPhone and iPad accounts that would be AWESOME!!!

9. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Yeah also what framerate are u guys at?

10. X-Frame

X-Frame Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    What about the Hero Info screen .. how it automatically shifts and locks to portrait mode (and sometimes upside down).

Anyway to make it work in widescreen so I don't have to turn my phone ever?

11. MrJo

MrJo Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2010
    I bolded what I care about most/have had most difficulty with. Thanks for being active on here PMasher! I'm loving the game :)

12. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    It keeps on crashing on my ipod touch 3G, I cant play it at all. Please fix.

13. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #13 Dazarath, Dec 18, 2010
    As already mentioned, I'd also like to put my vote in for a way to respec. It's too much to expect players to play through another 60 levels just because they want to try a slightly different spec or move a few points around.

I'd like to suggest the removal of the pick-up + equip button. Honestly, it wouldn't kill people to just wait until the game is finished to equip their new gear. As it currently is, it's stupidly easy to accidentally swap out your gear for some junk on the ground, leaving it available for anyone else to grab. Also, as we can tell from many of the current complaints, screen real estate is very precious on the iDevices. On a computer, adding an extra command would be as simple as binding a key, but here, we have to give up space in order to have that command. A side benefit of this would be freeing up some extra screen space to reduce the clutter, while also removing an unnecessary action.

Banking your mana could be streamlined a lot. It's really inconvenient to have to run to the forge just to bank your mana. I know this would change the game mechanics a little, but what if any mana you gained past the max was auto-banked, and at the end of the game, all of your remaining mana was auto-banked as well? I don't have a better solution in mind at the moment, but I do think it would help speed up the game.

Lastly, while I don't have a good solution for this, I wouldn't mind seeing the time between waves sped up in some manner. As it currently is, during the build phase, we have to run around and grab chests that are spread out all over the map, and then if we're in a multiplayer game, we often have to wait for the one guy who doesn't activate the crystal, forcing us to sit around until the wave auto-starts. The chests seem really unnecessary to me. Maybe just auto-awarding the mana to the players would be better. As for the second issue, maybe the wave could be started when half the players are ready, or at least reduce the countdown.

I really appreciate the devs taking the time to listen to the players' inputs. You've created an amazing game, and I'm sure with a few tweaks, there is no doubt in my mind that this will easily be one of the best multiplayer games on the iOS. (The best in my opinion, but everyone is entitled to their own.) Thank you very much.

14. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    I agree/ second the following:
    Swipe Camera instead of button based
    Respec Option
    Less Crowded UI dyscode
    Ability to close/hide tutorial text
    Pinch Zoom
    Enemy icons instead of minimap
    Crashing at loading screen while connecting to GC
    Scrolling UI Item Box
    Smaller iPad UI
    Custom UI
    Bubble pop ups with arrows instead of semi transparent boxs in Tutorial
    Semi Transparent menus in tutorial are hard to read
    Scaled down UI with smaller buttons

But the MOST important is the UI craze, the CRAZY LAG during boss, smaller buttons, and of course the crashing on iPad while starting up the game :(

15. X-Frame

X-Frame Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I agree with everything Daza said about.

This game needs more streamlining.

16. javahawk

javahawk Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I can almost guarantee that re-speccing will never be a feature in Dungeon Defenders. We'll think about it though.

Having a mana cap is an essential part to how the game is balanced, so auto-banking mana past your cap is also something that will most likely never happen.. Sorry hehe!

The time in between wave speed up... Well, let me ask you, have you played on insane yet? Maybe you should try! You might be surprised!

17. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #17 gospel9, Dec 18, 2010
    Thanks for listening to us and putting up this thread! I think if you had to fix one thing, it would have to be the fancy auto rotating camera... It really gets in the way. I tried showing some of my friends the game and they couldn't play it because of it.

I would also like to see the ability the customize those buttons on the left side of the screen. Say, if I wanted a Repair button instead of Mana Bomb since I tend to use that a lot more. Most action RPGs let you assign buttons this way. Also these buttons can be a lot smaller.

Edit:mad:javahawk: Why not respec?!! I don't understand. Why would you want the players to grind up all the way just to test a build?

18. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Cool to open up a thread about it and try taking care. About this point I have changed my mind now I have play about 15h of the game.

Unlike minigore the action isn't totally centered on character player, which means that what is very cool in minigore would be pointless for DD if not a nuisance.

Ho and a quote, stunning game thanks for all the sweat and imagination and talent put in it. :D

19. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Here a few more quotes of what I would wish, not sure any could fit even a later fix/update but if not, look at it as suggestion for DD 2 or DD first addon pack. :)

• An in game encyclopedia (or help) to provide the tutorial information through an option that you can check during pause.
    • Allow select a tower and then see its range, at least during the time between waves but if possible during waves too, for example through a double touch.
    • When a tower is out of range to repair and you try repair I quote once the same icon is shown than if you attempt repair a tower with full health, that can be confusing.
    • When my finger release the tower to be build often there's a small movement shifting last position I choose, this should not happen, many game use similar controls and don't have this problem.
    • Don't block a tower building because it's too close to the character player, it's ok for other characters but not the the player character.
    • Show the place free where you can place the tower to build.
    • Manage multi touch when a tower is drag to a place ie ignore other touch until the drag started is finished/released.
    • Advanced pause in single player:
      • Pause when map is shown until the character moves.
      • An option to pause when you position a tower for building (not repair not during building time), or allow position a build during pause.
      • Allow check all towers health level during pause.
      • Allow a fly through the map during pause.

Some comments about some points already listed:
    • About the smaller gui information I agree but please without to make texts too tiny and unreadable for old eyes.
    • About the swipe and pinch for camera control, that's fine but please let an option to still use the current button, don't know why but like it.

20. mandiller

mandiller New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #20 mandiller, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    The game is a lot of fun but in drastic need of a patch. Thanks for listening to the community and keeping us updated! I'm sure the game will be even better when a patch comes out.

I'm playing it on my iPad and I agree with everything on that list. If you did all those things the game could be perfect.

- My biggest issues are that the UI on the ipad is pretty bad. The buttons are huge and take up a lot of valuable screen space when they could be a lot smaller. To me it seems like the iPad version is just the iPhone version running at 2x, which is not how it should be. The UI needs to be streamlined, menus need to be uniform and buttons need to be smaller.

- Framerate is another big one. Its just so slow and jerky. I would prefer toned down graphics if it meant a faster framerate.

- And a new request. I would like the ability to zoom the camera out even more and have a more top-down view. I'm sure the game runs fine with those camera angles on the PC, but the game is difficult to wield on the iPad with such a zoomed in view. I never know what's around me.

- One other thing is could you include some options for the minimap? It'd like it on screen all the time but a lot smaller, perhaps in the top corner. Just so i can see where all the enemies are and what they are attacking, it doesn't need to be big at all.