Does anyone still play Tower Bloxx?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eobet, Sep 7, 2009.

1. eobet

eobet Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #1 eobet, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    I bought the original Tower Bloxx back for my Sony Ericsson phone, and it was a brilliantly simple game which was very fast to get into and addicting to play.

Later, they released Tower Bloxx 3D, and it was the same game only with 3D graphics which didn't add anything at all to the gameplay experience. It was sluggish (on the w880i I had) and only drained more batteries out of the poor phone.

Now, they have Tower Bloxx 3D Deluxe on the iPhone, and even with the "update", there's only more bloat added to the once slick and simple game:

1. There's an intro which cannot be skipped.

2. It takes over 30 seconds to get into the game from launch.

3. If you have to quit, the game doesn't resume where you left.

What does this mean?

The game is a 1-click distraction game where a level can be completed in a minute or two, which makes it very suitable for micro-breaks. But if a level can be completed in a minute, that means you will spend 33% of your time waiting for the game to load.

And for such a simple game as this, do I really have to click "Play" after I launch it? Did the developers think that I only launched it to watch the intro again? And equally annoying is the Facebook Connect" question. I see the button, and I ignored it. I do not want a pop-up asking me if I missed it every time!

I've e-mailed the developers about this three times, and only received an answer once (and it wasn't a very good answer). I've also noticed a bug that nobody seems to mention, but perhaps I'm picky here (see attachment, but you need to view it full size).

So, my question is:

Does anyone else find this annoying to the point that you've stopped playing the game even though you want to?

I actually still have my SonyEricsson w880i, and will probably keep it for a very long time because of a superbly brilliant Advance Wars clone called Ancient Empires, but also because of the original Tower Bloxx, which still is the best version.

Also, people might wonder why on earth I put the effort in to write such a long post about a simple 1-click game. Well, to me it seems that Digital Chocolate doesn't care at all about their customers, since they released two "sequels" rather rapidly after the original which indicates a pattern that they want your money, but doesn't really care about your continued satisfaction with the product since you already paid them (the Facebook "update" reinforces this, imo). And since they make casual games, the casual customers might be too casual to complain, so they get away with it. (For the interested, Digital Chocolate is headed by Trip Hawkins, who founded EA... a company which as you may know, isn't known for being very nice.)

Attached Files:

2. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    "Does anyone else find this annoying to the point that you've stopped playing the game"

Yes.

Will not be buying another DC game.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I was considering buying this until I heard about what they'd done (also crashes in recent versions), but now there's no chance. I just hope they don't ruin any of the games of theirs I already own because the games themselves are pretty good.

4. eobet

eobet Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Just to find out if I'm the only crazy person or not, could someone please launch Tower Bloxx (if you can stand the loading times ;)) and see if they can spot the garbled graphics from my screenshot posted above?

It should be immediately visible from the starting position (telephone pole and wires, unless I'm mistaken)...

5. Kiwii

Kiwii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    #5 Kiwii, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    Digital Chocolate sucks. All there games are crap on the iphone. I liked Tower blocks and Johnny crash on other mobiles but on the iphone they suck.

This is what I hate the most.
    Two player mode you and a partner share the same device and see who can stack the towers the fastest, what is so crappy about it is because nothing happens if you drop a tower. So you can just tap and drop 100 towers and finish in 6 seconds. (exaguration but you get what I mean.) This makes playing two player stupid.
    Also the stupid intro.

I will not be buying any Digital Chocolate ever again.

6. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Digital Chocolate blows. Their latest update for tower bloxx basically ruined the game across all idevices.

7. Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Slaving peon.
    Not here; not there; not anywhere!
    Oh, please. That one little facebook bar, which can be easily ignored, destroyed your enjoyment of the entire game? Oh, no! It's the end of the world, Jimmy! ... Get a hold of yourselves.

8. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I still play this from time to time. I have a version of it on my Nokia phone and I used to play it all the time I don't have a huge problem with facebook bar, although I agree they should have hidden it better. One thing that does get on my nerves is that I am asked to join facebook every time I start a game. If I said "no" once I shouldn't be asked everytime I play.The game is still a lot of fun and I am prepared to be a little annoyed to enjoy this excellent game. I hope that they will fix the facebook invasiveness in the future though.