Modern Combat: Sandstorm or Nova

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bobweasal, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Bobweasal

Bobweasal Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Hey guys. With the new release of N.O.V.A, it has had outstanding reviews and claims to be one of the best fps' ever on a mobile device. I own modern combat sandstorm and took great delight in taking out terrorists with an array of guns and that COD feel that made me feel as if i was on my Xbox. But for some reason i don't get that lovely hype from the N.O.V.A trailers and previews... Maybe it's just my love for everyday combat games with AK-47's and flash grenades rather than a futuristic fps or maybe there's something I'm missing. Is a there a key element that makes N.O.V.A so much better than sandstorm. My experience with Sandstorm online has been perfect where as others, frankly rubbish, is this why people prefer it? I have been reluctant to buy N.O.V.A and would like to know, what do you prefer: Modern Combat: Sandstorm or Nova and why?

2. jxjja

jxjja Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    NOVA, because it has great graphics, replay value (with the multiplayer thing), it has more levels than Modern Combat: Sandstorm and the online multiplayer is great

3. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I put them about equal honestly. Depends whether you like a war setting or a sci-fi one. I prefer NOVA because I've yet to get MC:S multiplayer working even for a single game..

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I much prefer Nova. Graphics are better, there's more to it than just shooting enemies, and while the story is pretty trivial, I find that less offensive in a SciFi shooter than in a game that's supposed to be "realistic." There's also the matter of enemy AI: it's pretty much non-existent in MC:S. In Nova, there's at least some sense that enemies are behaving independently (and not just running a script).

Of course, all that maybe moot if the setting doesn't appeal to you.

5. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    ^^

NOVA's graphics are better, I agree. to be honest, i didn't know there were more gameplay elements in the campaign beyond just shooting... i still haven't even touched the campaign, been having so much fun with multiplayer lol

6. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Just go with NOVA. It's much better, and worth paying that extra 2 bucks for. Sandstorm was one of my favorites for a long time, but it's kinda died out since the release of NOVA. I think I even play NOVA more than Eliminate. It has a great single player campaign and an awesome (WORKING!) multiplayer mode that once I start I can't put it down. Just go buy it now.

7. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Nova is best, I will post a gameplay vid soon

8. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    i had both, but deleted sandstorm the second i played nova. Its funny, because i always prefer war type/ Call of Duty games rather than halo types, so i was very reluctant to buy nova. But after seeing how nice the multiplayer is, i game it a shot and was amazed. The single player campign alone is better than all of sandstorms features. I cannot get bored of playing online in nova, and in the times where i dont have internet access, I really enjoy the campaign missions. Do yourself a favor and just buy it.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There are simple platforming bits, a few destroy-the-spawning-portal missions, and decent mini games to hack into electronic boxes. Nothing major, but it does add variety to the gameplay.