NEO GEO should take the iphone more seriously

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Orlandosan, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Orlandosan

Orlandosan Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    College Student
    Somewhere in the US
    I recently saw their trailer for Metal slug touch and I must say, it sucked pretty hard. There is so much that they can deliver, but little effort to do so. They might as well import their games because if CAVE can do it so can they.

2. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

#2 Beto_Machado, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
    SNK's gaming division had to downsize and cut a lot of corners due to their most expensive game ever, The King of Fighters XII (the most expensive 2D fighting game ever).

How expensive the game was? Well, production was planned for 3 years (same as SF3, the most expensive until then), but they didn't even get close to finishing it for the early 2008 release. They took another year (meaning the contract with Taito had to be reworked)... and the game still wasn't finished, despite people getting fired and three other games (Iroha, KOFMIA2, KOFMI3) being cancelled to redirect resources to KOF XII.

After 4 years, the game was released incomplete in 2009, and only now the "real" game is 90% done, to be released as KOF XIII, in July:

[​IMG]

The producer has already said that if KOF XIII flops, then they're done for.

Specially when SNK fans have been complaining about too many straight ports of Metal Slug, KOF, etc for almost a decade. I wasn't surprised at all to see the crazy control-scheme for MS. I've been a SNK fan since the 80's (Ikari Warriors), and i know how damned if they do, damned if they don't things are ("OMG, it's too similar to the last game", "OMG, they changed it!" - that has happened to every SNK series since 1995).

More information about the production story and the complex, all-new development process can be found with any easy google search and has been beaten to death already in dozens of forums.

3. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    yeah, would love to play some neo geo on the iphone. Well some neo geo with "good" controls anyway. I've actually been thinking of grabbing a Neo Geo arcade box off Craigslist but the wife would kill me.

@Beto_Machado - that animation is just a little distracting. lol

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    What the hell? How many more KOF games do they need to make? Ok I am speaking as someone who's never been been into that stuff (not even a fighting game guy) but I completely respect SNK for how they've managed to maintain their creditability as "2D forever" developers. But how much $$ have they been needing to sink into what, I will presume, essentially is another rehash of a very old series anyway? I normally would brush all of this off but when you go on to say it's the most expensive 2D game over, threatening (again) the closure of one of the better old-school companies, it does make one's head spin, just a little.

But then, mismanagement in a game development company is hardly a new thing. Anyway, good luck SNK.

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    SNK, not Neo Geo.

What you said is pretty much the same as saying, "Playstation should port their games to the iPhone"

You're talking about a console, not the company that is actually behind it.