Small Space by Giant Moto Dev

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by meanstreak, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meanstreak

meanstreak Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Independent game designer
    Toronto
    #1 meanstreak, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Hello everyone! Rocket 5 Studios is proud to announce our 3rd game for iPhone, Small Space is nearing completion. This is our first game to include OpenFeint integration & we're taking full advantage of Leaderboards & Achievements addictive qualities with 31 Leaderboards and over 30 Achievements! Small Space also features a trippy dynamic ambient audio system.

Update2: Added a new touchArcade thread with some Small Space XL for iPad screenshots

Update: Here's a first look video of the gameplay where I'm mostly trying to keep my fat finger from blocking the camera. :cool: This shows just the first 2 or 3 transfers, after each transfer the difficulty increases.

[​IMG]

In Small Space the goal is to make your ship as big as possible by eating little green guys (Yummies) and then delivering them to the yellow space station (Hungry). Small Space is all about risk vs. reward - by getting bigger & bigger you increase the risk of having your Yummies stolen or worse! But the bigger you are when you deliver the Yummies to Hungry, the higher your score will be!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you'd like a copy for an early review, be sure to PM me.

www.rocket5project.com

-Tim

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    This looks awesome. Congrats on your new game!

3. meanstreak

Sep 18, 2009
    Toronto
    Thanks sammysin!

4. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

looks cool!

5. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    My pleasure! Very much looking forward to seeing more on this.

6. meanstreak

Sep 18, 2009
    Toronto
    Thanks! And thanks for the awesome Giant Moto review you did a while back! Let me know if you're interested in a preview build.

7. meanstreak

Sep 18, 2009
    Toronto
    Added preview video.

8. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

looks quite neat actually!

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If I caught that right I love how the black hole's size increases according to how big you were when it last sucked you in...so if it picked you off early it would be no greater threat but if it gets you late in a stage it will be a huge pain to avoid for your future selves in this session. :D

10. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    looks really neat! when is it submitted? i'd like to review it.

ps: don't stop updating giant moto!!

11. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    looks like it could be quite addicting. Wanna get my hands on it already.. when should this be submitted?

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I was given the honor of test driving the iPad version (as far as I can tell the exact same games as this iPhone version but given iPad native graphic support) and it's awesome!

I think the dev already explained the gameplay but I could try to sum it up again. The game is all handled by simple one touch control where you simply tap on the screen to have your big big bad self try to fly right at that point in a straight line. Your mission is to grab as many yummies as you can before docking but the game has a pretty clever progressive scoring system. Once docked you'll get so many points per yummy swallowed but the points gained per yummy seems to be somewhat tied into your size. Pick up 3 guys before docking and you'd get about 75 points (3 x 25) but manage to snag 30 guys and you could make 9000 points (30 x 300)! The catch being it is pretty hard to maneuver around hazards when you're taking up 1/3 of the screen. The game has two type of hazards to thwart you. The meanies (looking like red bombs) and black holes. Bump into a meany and the game is over, simple as that. Bumping into a black hole is not fatal but instead empties out your ship of yummies and will enlarge to essentially whatever size you were before it shrunk you back down making it much harder to avoid for the rest of the round and practically guaranteeing a craptacular score for the round (each of the game's 30 rounds have their own scoreboad as well as one combine score scoreboard). Each level gets successively harder by throwing in more meanies and black holes to avoid.

5/5 Cute and Stupid (stupidly addictive, that is)!

13. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Would you say it's more pretend stupid, as if to attract the Stupids but engage the more strategic and tactical players as well ( e.g. like tilt to live), or stupid-stupid, like ign stupid?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Errr, I guess I'll go with the first option?

It's one of those games that is incredibly simple in concept where you're really seeing all there is to it in the very first round (with the exception of there being MORE baddies to avoid in later levels). Grab all of the goodies you can without bumping into baddies even though the more goodies you grab the bigger you get and therefore baddies are harder to avoid.

Kind of like when I first saw Flight Control. Draw a path for the planes to the runways while making sure they don't hit each other. That's pretty much it. It didn't sound to me like there was enough variety there to make much of a game but once you start in on it you're addicted by it's additively cute and stupid nature.

15. meanstreak

Sep 18, 2009
    Toronto
    Thanks for the great feedback and first impression, LordGek! You pointed out a few important bits about the scoring that I hadn't mentioned in my description. I'm happy to hear you like Small Space!

I just added a new touchArcade thread with some Small Space XL for iPad screenshots

16. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    How far into development is this game?

17. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    It has been submitted this past weekend