Surprised Toucharcade Hasn't Warned Supporters About Patreon Hack

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ubisububi, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Apparently, a lot of user info from a hack of Patreon.com has been dumped on the web. Donors should change passwords, etc...

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Look under site news and feedback. My understanding was that it was fairly limited. I changed my password as a safe measure. Daily site hacks are so much fun. :(. I'm sure my data has already been spewed all over the Internet.

3. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Glad it was limited. The tech media is probably playing it up. Site news? Seems a bit obtuse...

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    FYI, the hack was NOT limited, it was actually very substantial. All email addresses, private messages, lists of who's supporting what, real names... basically everything except passwords was leaked.

Source code of Patreon was also leaked, meaning its possible hackers can find a way to unlock the passwords were encrypted, which is what happened with the Ashley Madison hack.

5. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

O_O Well then.

6. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Funny thing is, I thought I signed up for the TA Patreon ages ago, turns out I wasn't for whatever reason. I even wrote an article urging people to sign up!

So anyways, I just signed up to be a silver supporter 2 days before the hack. Fun :/

7. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    If my wife finds out that I'm supporting TouchArcade she'll go mental!

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Maybe I'm being naïve but I'm not concerned about any of those items listed. So what if someone can link my name, address and email to a donation to TA. What is someone going to do with that information?

9. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    I agree for myself, I have no information there I'm trying to keep private. But it's concerning that anonymous doners could be exposed, and people who donate to multiple sites can have those linked together.

So yeah, not a problem for me, but I see there could be serious issues there for others