Random SciFly II screenshot (it's so shiny!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jshmrsn, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    #1 jshmrsn, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    Edit: This post is old and a lot of links/images are broken. I'll post most recent content up here:

YouTube video from TA

TA article: http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/04/e3-early-gameplay-video-of-scifly-2/

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Original post:

This is totally random, but I had another one of those development moments where I was like "wow, that looks awesome...", so I wanted to share a screenshot just for fun.

I've been working on the aircraft's paint material material since I got back from GDC. I've always wanted it to look like a sports car, but I don't think I had it quite right until (perhaps) now. I decided to pick a photo of a red Ferarri and try as hard as I could to replicate its paint.
    On gaming console hardware, this is possible using all sorts of dynamic reflections and such. These abilities are not available on the iPhone yet, so shiny materials are not too easy to implement.

Okay. So, this is the photo of the Ferarri I was using as a reference:
    [​IMG]

And this is SciFly II
    [​IMG]

And, just for comparison, this is what the original SciFly looked like:
    [​IMG]

I would love to hear your opinions on how it looks to you. Does it look final-product worthy, or should I keep working on it?
    [​IMG]

2. IAmAlive

IAmAlive Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Intern.
    Austin, TX.
    Amazing job on the plane. It definately looks ready to me. Especially when compared to the SciFly original. Again very nice job on the lighting and coloring.

3. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Turn the gloss down slightly on the ship and raise the graphics level for enviormrnts

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    The plane itself looks great, but imho, it doesn't connect well with the cartoony environment. You must have 1 overall style to unite everything in the game, from the planes, environment, terrain and interface.

Would it be cartoony like Clusterball, or realistically glossy like Fastlane, or dark robotic like Transformers posters with less vibrant colours and more moody colour palette?

Huge improvement over the previous one though, huge.

5. Scott30

Scott30 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Pretty much agree with the two posts above, me personally I would take a crappy lookin ship and prefer more interesting and better looking enviroments. And the plane is a lil too shiny as it is.

6. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    oh man this looks great! I love the blue and green world you've created there, islands are great!! Remember Clusterball? That turquoise water and landscape would have been great to fly around in, and this looks pretty good!

7. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I really hate to say that it really is a bit too shiny x.x

Maybe less shiny, and more shiny in the environment? Then there'll be shiny everywhere! :D

Shiiiinnnyyyyy ._.

8. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    please tell me that there is auto-locking onto targets in this version, because I found the original impossible to play because i could never aim on the targets.

the screenshot looks very nice though.

9. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    I think I'm getting this game the moment it comes out.

10. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I'm with you on that. I could never aim on targets. Maybe there's something we don't know.

11. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The plane looks... 100 x great!
    I am sure i will buy the game when it's out. (Will it be released soon :p?)

But the enviroment doesen't look that good. (The land looks bad, The see is good)

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Plane looks too shiny, almost like a plastic toy.

The environments could use some sprucing up. I'd go with better quality textures for the land, and maybe use some of that "shiny" on the water.

BTW, I had no problem with the dogfights in the original SciFly. Especially since the last update.

13. vip-freak

vip-freak Member

Mar 20, 2009
    none(being a teenager)
    belgium,brussels
    great

a few more aditions like more levels and bether interface could be made(sorry but the the previous interface was/and still is verry crapy)a nice adition could be to integrate the old planes and buy aditional upgrades(different sorts of rockets,... and maybe armour options.but these are just sugestions.
    new modes like survival or mission would also make a great adittion to the the game

thanks for reading i hope this reply was/is verry helpfull

14. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    i like the landscape as much as the airplane! its so much brighter than the original

15. jshmrsn

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Wow, thanks for the great feedback!
    So, some definitely like it, but others have issues with it being too shiny and the world looking to basic.

Terrain
    I didn't realize that the terrain stood out as being basic, so I'm glad to hear that. Makes sense actually, I've spent way more hours working on the artwork for the aircraft than I did on the planes.
    I'll try to come back with something better, terrain wise, sometime soon.

Shininess
    For the shininess, I'll just have to continue tweaking it, but it's difficult because some say it looks, others not so much. At one point it might just be a matter of opinion, since technically it's not "realistic."

Controls
    There will definitely be auto-locking on missile based weapons. Currently, I don't plan to have auto-aiming on projectile weapons. But here's the thing... Most of the targets now will be turrets and slow moving battleships. Enemy aircraft are sorta the "elite" enemies. Turrets and such will be much easier to aim at, and the enemy aircraft wont appear until later in the game (when you're more use to the controls).
    I'm also spending a lot of time working on the general control scheme, so hopefully those changes will help out. PM me if you would like to beta-test the game whenever the beta comes out.

For general info on SciFly II, here's STP's initial coverage.
    http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/scifly-ii-first-look

Sweet, well thanks again for the great input!

16. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Will the shine on the plane correllate with the position of the sun, as is demonstrated in Freeverse's Top Gun preview video. Will the top be in the shade when turned away from the sun?

17. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
  18. jshmrsn

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    #18 jshmrsn, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    Well the shine is created using a specular highlights overlay. To my knowledge, TopGun does not do this. The darkening and lighting depending on the direction of the plane relative to the sun is standard diffuse lighting. The original SciFly did this as well; when you fly upside down, the top of the ship will become darker. However, the texture quality of TopGun is much better than the original SciFly, which is why it looks very good.

In SciFly II, I'm taking a very different approach. On the aircraft, I've almost removed the use of basic textures entirely. Without any lighting, the aircraft would actually be perfectly solid blocks of color. This would look terrible if only diffuse and ambient lighting was used. However, with the addition of specular highlight, a very unique look can be achieved.

This is important when trying to model a material that resembles a sports car. Compare a standard material, like a brick wall, to a sports car and you'll see what I mean. A brick wall can be easily simulated by overlaying a photograph of a wall from real life. Lighting does not have very much affect on this, other than tinting and shading. A Ferrari, on the other hand, is very different. It's impossible to simulate a Ferrari's paint job using only a texture. The look of a Ferrari is almost entirely derived from specular lighting, not texture. The paint is all just a solid color, it doesn't have any of the detail that a brick wall would have.

An F22 has considerably more texture than a Ferrari:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heheh well I doubt very many want to spend the time to read all that, so I'll stop there :)

19. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Wow, it looks great and, yes, rall, itit is very shiny. Although I agree with many, that the environment could be improved just a little. Overall it looks like a big improvement from the first SciFly.

20. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    looks awesome