DOOM RESURRECTION 4 iphone!!!!!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nizy, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

#1 nizy, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    YUCK!

I want original doom and doom 2. The rest are just weak sauced.

3. aboll2009

aboll2009 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    You don't want the new, updated doom but you want the old one? That makes sense

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    precicely. Why want something new just because its new? Why not desire something because its good and tried true?

I still play Doom II to this day, its great for staying up late with a big jug of coffee :)

5. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not a big Doom fan, but this actually looks kind of cool to me. If they work out the controls pretty decent I might actually get this one.

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #6 LBG, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    I am not a doom fan either, in fact I have never even played doom before :eek::eek::eek:.

I do have to say that this looks really good though. The fact that it will be specially designed for the iPhone is usually a good sign.

@dogmeat - don't worry, the article also says that 'Doom Classic' is also coming to the iPhone (which I assume is what you want)

'Doom Classic still in progress

Carmack said that another pet iPhone project of his, Doom Classic, is still firing on all cylinders. He anticipates that for release on the iPhone and iPod touch in the coming month, as well. That game is a recreation of the original Doom game designed to run on the iPhone.

Carmack is very enthusiastic about Doom Classic’s forthcoming release on the iPhone. He said he’s learned a lot from Wolfenstein 3D’s release on the platform, and has made some enhancements for Doom, including support for downloadable content.

What’s more, Doom will be released as open source code. Combined, this means that game developers and hobbyists will be able to create their own levels and add-ons for Doom Classic for the iPhone.

“People will be able to use this as a reference for developing new iPhone games,” said Carmack. He hopes that Doom Classic’s release on the iPhone will lead to a new age of custom level development, specifically for iPhone games, much as their was following Doom’s enormously successful release on the PC over a decade ago.'

7. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

yes exactly. The originals were the best

8. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Good find nizy! Well worth a front page post. This is a repost and I recommend you read it if your an FPS fan. It mentions a bit about graphics stability and intuitive controls for the iPhone.

Id Software co-founder and CTO John Carmack has hinted in recent months about a “secret” project that was happening in parallel with his own efforts to bring his company’s “classic” titles to the iPhone. That project was unveiled Wednesday: Doom Resurrection.

[​IMG]
    Doom Resurrection offers accelerometer-based aiming and shooting.

Due for release in a month or so at a price still to be determined, Doom Resurrection isn’t another retread of a classic Doom game. It’s a completely new effort, a first-person shooter designed exclusively for the iPhone and iPod touch. The game uses assets originally developed for Doom 3, Id Software’s 2005 reboot of the legendary first-person shooter franchise.

“I’ve made a few veiled references to a mystery iPhone project,” explained Carmack in a recent interview with Macworld. “We did this as a very speculative thing and we weren’t sure if it was going to work out.”

Carmack intimated plans for Doom Resurrection in a blog posting that surfaced when Wolfenstein 3D for iPhone was introduced. The project ran into problems with a previous developer.

Doom vet takes over development

“We built a completely new play style for this game,” said Carmack. “We have no worries that we’re going to do something utterly not fun.”

But striking the right balance at first proved to be a challenge.

Doom Resurrection was ultimately developed in cooperation with Escalation Studios, whose previous credits include the Ngmoco-published iPhone game Dr. Awesome. Escalation Studio’s Tom Mustaine is no stranger to Id Software games; he’s the co-founder of Ritual Entertainment, and worked on more than a dozen Id engine-derived games.

“We sat down about seven or eight months ago and decided we wanted to bring a Doom experience to the iPhone that was unique,” said Mustaine. Mustaine explained that it wasn’t until they settled on a control scheme that combined accelerometer-based movement and aiming with tap-based firing that Doom Resurrection really gelled.

Mustaine is impressed with the iPhone OS as a gaming platform. “Getting visuals up and running was a lot easier than we expected,” he said. “It’s a lot more powerful than people give it credit for.”

“The game features brand new levels created using Doom 3 content,” said Mustaine. That includes artwork and core engine technology that cost $10 million to develop originally, according to Carmack.

[​IMG]
    Doom Resurrection is an entirely new game exclusive to the iPhone
    that uses Doom 3 assets.

Id and Escalation emphasize that this is a new game that will hold new challenges even for experienced Doom veterans. It’s a parallel storyline to the original, essentially: A space marine must protect Earth from invasion from hellish, demonic monsters that have somehow traveled through a dimensional rift on a remote station located on planet Mars.

Carmack said the project will run on iPhones and iPod touches running on iPhone OS 2.x; the company plans an update in the future that will exploit some iPhone OS 3.x features, as well.

Doom Classic still in progress

Carmack said that another pet iPhone project of his, Doom Classic, is still firing on all cylinders. He anticipates that for release on the iPhone and iPod touch in the coming month, as well. That game is a recreation of the original Doom game designed to run on the iPhone.

Carmack is very enthusiastic about Doom Classic’s forthcoming release on the iPhone. He said he’s learned a lot from Wolfenstein 3D’s release on the platform, and has made some enhancements for Doom, including support for downloadable content.

What’s more, Doom will be released as open source code. Combined, this means that game developers and hobbyists will be able to create their own levels and add-ons for Doom Classic for the iPhone.

“People will be able to use this as a reference for developing new iPhone games,” said Carmack. He hopes that Doom Classic’s release on the iPhone will lead to a new age of custom level development, specifically for iPhone games, much as their was following Doom’s enormously successful release on the PC over a decade ago.

Id has big plans for iPhone

Carmack said that from a hardware perspective, the iPhone is even more capable than Sony's handheld system, the PlayStation Portable (PSP). He added that Apple has "lots of room for improvement" for game developers, but said that it's "a good phone all by itself as a phone," as well.

He's particularly excited about the promise of future hardware, such as the iPhone 3G S's support of OpenGL ES 2.0, a 3D application programming interface (API) that will introduce new features that Id will be able to use to render 3D graphics natively "without smoke and mirrors."

“In general, I am super-excited for the iPhone as a platform for Id to be involved in,” said Carmack. He said that he hopes to bring the entire “classic” Id Software game line — Doom, Quake, even Quake 3 — to the iPhone and iPod touch, along with updated versions of Id Software’s mobile titles, Orcs & Elves and Doom RPG.

9. Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cool. I'm perfectly fine with this. I'm sure they will bring the old dooms and there is nothing wrong with getting a new Doom.

10. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Why don't they stop work on this and work on bringing the legitimate Doom Trilogy out? I just want my favorite FPS on my iPhone. I don't care about this new stuff which will most likely fail just because of a terrible control scheme and ridiculous lag. Why!?

11. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I absolutely agree. Doom II is my all-time favorite game.

However, I'm all about a new version too. This looks awesome.

12. Although I really want Doom I and II (or better yet Ultimate Doom), this looks pretty cool. As long as half the game isn't in the dark, I think this could be pretty killer.

13. Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    It's a completely different team working on it from a completely different company.

14. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Follow Up Story: More info and Screenshot

One of the true next-generation games on the iPhone debuts next week. Doom Resurrection from id Software will be available in the AppStore and give gamers what they’ve been waiting for: much better 3-D graphics than most first-generation iPhone games.

[​IMG]

It’s the pet project of id’s technical guru, John Carmack, who led a team of six people at Escalation Studios to get the game done over the past six months. With Carmack’s endorsement, Apple has one of the leading game developers in the whole industry on its side.

“I love the iPhone,” Carmack said in an interview. “It’s a real game platform, not a tiny little toy.”

The first round of iPhone games have been phenomenal in many ways. They’ve driven the excitement about the iPhone as a true gaming platform. On the 40 million iPhone and iPod Touches sold, games are the No. 1 application. Games account for more than 10,000 of the 50,000 iPhone apps created to date. Many of the games are cool, particularly for non-gamers or casual gamers who have some time to kill. But I’ve been waiting for true hardcore games to play seriously, not just as a diversion. Doom Resurrection is the beginning of this trend in second-generation iPhone games.

Carmack said the project wasn’t easy. He hit a road block and had to go back and redo the core shooting/aiming mechanic of the game. But he said the team was able to take much of the textures — core art work — of the PC game Doom 3 and use it for the iPhone game. Carmack said he was pleasantly surprised that the team didn’t have to completely redo the PC game art for the iPhone. The art is “downsampled” to fit in the iPhone screen. He played a few tricks with the graphics in order to make sure everything ran smoothly.

The game has eight full levels and about five hours of game play. The team expects to be able to use various iPhone software 3.0 features once they are released, but Carmack said the game was built to run fine on the current iPhone operating system. The game runs at 30 frames per second on the latest iPod Touch, and perhaps half that speed on the earliest iPhone handsets.

“If you look at it in raw hardware horsepower, the iPhone should be better in performance than the Nintendo DS and the PlayStation Portable,” Carmack said. “But the truth is you can’t exploit it all because of software inefficiencies.”

The plot of the game is similar to that of Doom 3, but it takes place in a different part of the space station as the Doom 3 story. You are the sole Marine survivor on a remote research facility on Mars where all hell has broken loose in the form of demons from hell. Hence, it’s a completely original game in that sense. Players can talk with scientist characters in the game. And they can use all of the same weapons and fight the same monsters as in Doom 3.

Carmack said he is meeting with Apple to offer advice about how to improve the iPhone as a game platform. He is happy with the faster iPhone 3G S that Apple announced Monday, but he said that he is also focused on making sure that his games run on the widest number of iPhones.

So far, Carmack said he is watching how demand unfolds for other smart phones such as the Palm Pre, but for now he is only focused on making games on the iPhone (as well as id’s traditional game platforms such as the consoles and the PC). It would be more convenient, Carmack joked, if the iPhone crushed everyone else.

Carmack said that the game has features that could be unlocked later with the release of iPhone 3.0 software. That includes peer-to-peer cooperative multiplayer, where gamers can connect with each other and play in the same multiplayer game, said Tom Mustaine, managing director of Escalation Studios.

Source

15. jeepster2982

jeepster2982 Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Im sorry but im more amped for Doom classic, where i know what im getting for my money, if not more. This looks like a watered down version of Doom3, which wasnt that hot in my opinion.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Watch the launch party stream tonight, this will be demo'd live. I just played what you guys are going to see in the hotel lobby. Prepare to have your minds absolutely blown.

17. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    A unique doom like experience for the iphone, That's cool in my books.

18. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Already blown.

19. 140000541

140000541 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    :(wheres the trailer??? can someone post the link, i couldnt find it.:(

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold