iOS --> Mac (Portrait/Landscape)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ovogame, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Hi,

I would like to release Jump Birdy Jump on Mac (it is already working). But the game was designed to run in portrait mode. So, in fullscreen I have massive black (or textured) bars on the side. Is Apple ok with this? Is there any other exemple of such game released on the Mac App Store.

thanks

JC

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    why can't you just render more of the scene? even if it shows only bg, or what lies ahead of the level.. i can't see a problem with just showing "more".. ?

as for black border.. there are games like plants vs zombies who draw black borders left and right in fullscreen on non 4:3 monitors..

but assuming you want to go 1:1 (which i would not suggest) you get huge borders and use around 1/3 of the screen on a 16:10 screen..

in general as a paying customer i would expect a proper version for my platform of choice and not "just" a blown up port.. no pun intended..

cheers

3. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    The main reason was mainly because of the secret hidden stars... they would be visible now if they are on the right or left side of the screen. But may be you are right :) I should simply redesign some of the levels and display them in 4x3 res...

JC