Big Shot Boxing, looking for testers

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ColinL, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    haha, anti climax, yeah there will be a champion of the world scene when you first win the belt, confetti and everything.

2. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    #22 ColinL, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Thanks for the detailed feedback, you are correct on most points. Apart from the health update one, It does actually increase the size of the health bar, maybe not super obvious when its happening gradually.

In terms of the logic behind stuns and what I call "flash" knockdowns is quite subtle and has randomness to it. Basically I have decided a certain range, For example, If you throw a right hand from a good distance, and your opponent is moving forward at the time, there is a 1 out of 70 chance it will flash knockdown, depending on your power upgrade and opponents chin etc. Its something you can get a sort of feel for but I don't want you to be able to learn it so it could be done every time. So I want you to try to throw the punches at a good range and try to catch the opponent moving forward just after a upper cut etc, but it will still be random whether it actually stuns etc.

Im a big fan of random events, I know its not for everyone. I love the shock when you are losing a fight and then in the last round you flatten them with 1 big shot. This wouldn't be a shock to you if you could see they were stunned, or you could see they had low health.

Fighters do have a higher chance of being knocked out the more times they get knocked down, but again its not predictable. You will most likely get up from the first knockdown but every now and then, you won't. Technically a fight could be won with the first punch thrown in the first round, and I love that.

In terms on the 3 knockdowns = TKO. I decided to go with the Unified Rules of Boxing in which the 3 knockdown rule is not in effect and you can't be saved by the bell in any round. The main exception is I don't enforce the standing 8 count rule, the fight starts again as soon as you get back up.

Yes your right I need to find a good way to explain the upgrades, you guessed most of them correctly. Yeah I will improve the buttons for upgrades, UI stuff is being worked on now. Thanks for finding the typo :D

3. neilsarkar

neilsarkar Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 9, 2017
    Founder at Super Serious Company
    Baleal, Portugal
    Yeah cool, I had a feeling that the randomness might be intentional in order to make it more realistic but wasn't sure.

Also, all of this feedback was based on beating the Beginner difficulty level. last night I played through pro and started losing when I got to be around 35. I now realize there are many more subtleties to the game than just jabbing and crossing your opponent into a corner and then uppercutting them a ton. I'm back to refining my tactics now and am engaged again trying to determine strategy.

So I'm digging the realism and not missing the guessability/gameability now that I get the decision...I think it probably leads to deeper gameplay. Maybe my expectations of determinism were because of associations with Punch Out and Super Punch Out. Speaking of realism, that sinking feeling you get when your boxer starts aging out. Man.

4. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Nice! I'm glad the pro mode forced you to re-think the strategy a bit. I think a lot of people will be annoyed by some of the randomness, especially if you are coming from other fighting games where the law is 'If you still have health in your health bar it can't be game over'.

But I'm happy with my decision and hope people will get into it eventually.

Im just sending out a new build, mainly tweaks to the menus and a bunch of new character starting options. Some with different starting stats that will need to be unlocked in the actual game.

5. neilsarkar

neilsarkar Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 9, 2017
    Founder at Super Serious Company
    Baleal, Portugal
    Nice, been playing it a bit. I chose Savage, the youngest guy with the most power which seemed like a steal or obvious choice but I guess by playing more I will figure out how they are all balanced. Thanks for fixing the touch targets on the upgrades! And I like the input from the trainer between rounds.

6. justobot

justobot New Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Am I too late to test ?

7. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    After 2 years of on and off development I have finally got a release date for Big Shot Boxing!

Its coming to iOS and android on December the 7th. A big thanks to all the beta testers, I'm really happy with the final result. Its not going to be a huge hit with casual fans but I hope that the few people who do take the time to get a feel for it will enjoy it.

8. TurboSmoke

TurboSmoke Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Looks good, like a digital Rock um Sockem robots... always a great moment to release! Good luck!!!