Game Center Cheating

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by shawnbuddy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Does anyone else find it annoying that so many of the Game Center leaderboards are dominated by cheaters and hackers? It's not even a grey area where there is room for doubt, the top score will usually be millions above any "legit" score. And there is no way freaking finalark scored a gazillion points on every runner that I play.

Why isn't more done about this? You think they'd at least delete the obviously hacked scores.

2. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    That's why I only compete against friends. There is just no way to beat those sad, sad hackers and their impossible scores on the worldwide boards.

I don't think there is a way to moderate that. And even if there were, hackers would still find a way through it. It's just better to focus manpower in making games than spend time weeding out the cheats. That's a never-ending battle not worth fighting.

3. Dx_0628

Dx_0628 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Creating ideas for future gaming.
    yeah i don't think they really care about the high scores. it's sad it should be fun and a competition to get to the top.

4. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Worse are fake just out of reach scores if the fakers are clever about it.

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Devs can set an upper limit to the score... but that might cut some legitimate super players scoring something that they never expected.

There's no way to remove individual scores though.

6. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    I sort of cheated. I didn't spoof the Game Center score, but I hacked my Tiny Tower file to have 9,000 floors and a ridiculous amount of money and bux

Kinda regret it though, since I kept getting Game Center friend requests, and now I've reached the 500 friend limit. I suppose I could delete them all and start fresh, but I'm guessing since I've got 9,000 floors I'm gonna continue to get a barrage of friend requests anyway

The sad thing is; when someone goes to view my tower, it will kill their app due to too high memory usage, unless they're using the iPad 3 or the iPhone 5

So I guess it's kinda pointless.

I still run it from time to time and build something whenever they update it to have more floor types, but the game really isn't optimized for thousands and thousands of floors. Doesn't scroll very smoothly, and of course elevator rides are a big chore. If I accidentally tap the elevator, I may have to sit there pressing up for 8,000 floors. Either that or crash the game.

7. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I seriously cannot fathom why they can't make GC cheat proof.. People are always demanding GC support, but in almost every popular games high scores are hacked within hours, making GC all but pointless...

8. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    It's really bad. I don't play games enough to ever become highly ranked, but I am curious often how good other people get. Too bad it's impossible to tell.

9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    As mentioned, make it among friends if there's to be any true competition at all as the hackers rule the GC board.
    Surprisingly GC is what many clamor for when a game doesn't have it.:rolleyes: If not among friends it's not worth much (imo).

10. bluescrn

bluescrn Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Indie Game Developer
    #10 bluescrn, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    iOS has been so thoroughly hacked by the jailbreakers and pirates, there's not a lot Apple can do. On a jailbroken device, game code and savegames can be modified.

I suppose Apple could try to block jailbreakers from Game Center entirely - which is a bit harsh, but that approach helped for Microsoft and Xbox Live, when everyone was modding the Xbox 1. They should at least do some better authentication, to prevent pirates from using Game Center - although even that is technically tricky for them. But in my case, there's about 4x as many Game Center scores posted as there have been sales of the app, so around 75% of the scores are from pirates...

Another problem is bugs in the game themselves. My game had a bug at launch, that could be exploited to let the player score ridiculous amounts, and a couple of players found this. One let me know, though, and it's been fixed with only one blatant cheater at the top of the leaderboards...