Universal ORC: Vengeance - (by Chillingo Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

I suppose I kinda get what the buzz-fuzz was all about, after purchasing ORC at a ridicously cheap price for the content. This is a very polished and qualitative title, of a kind I hope iOS sees a lot more of.

But I must also say that Heroes Call stack up quite well against ORC, now that the patch has removed the timers and the other freemium aspects, with a more intuitive movement scheme (I cannot fer the life of me understand why the devs of ORC has not implemented hold to move, instead requiring new taps for every new movement location), a combo system that makes combat at least a tad more involving than in ORC, a choice between virtual buttons or gestures (which are quite similar to ORC's) to activate abilities, a more advanced equipment system (with more special abilities, effects and stats for armor and weapons), possibly deeper customization and character development choice thanks to skill trees, not to mention several classes, and more competent writing (yep, the dialogue writing in Heroes Call is actually quite good, in a quirky and even sometimes non-cliched kinda way, even if the overall narrative and plot is even more blah than in ORC).

So, while ORC looks better, and certainly feels more polished in some areas, with more interesting level design, a greater sense of context and world, and much better production values (and for all these reasons, probably offers a greater sense of immersion), I think Heroes Call is the superior title mechanics-wise, in terms of both combat, gear and character development.

Perhaps my sentiments will aid someone who is looking for their Torchlight fix for iOS (for surely Torchlight is the pioneer of the genre, right? :p ) to choose between the two. Though I'd say get both, as Heroes Call is free, and ORC is worth both 1 and 3 (and more) dollars.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I bought this on the first day of release, thought it was a very polished game but couldnt stand the controls. I'll really start to play this once the update kicks with the new control system. Looking forward to finally getting into this, just wish devs went with standard controls (or as an option) from the start

3. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #343 gemineye62, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Well...I for one, am finding Orc's Vengence to be way more enjoyable to
    play than the Heroes Call game.

If I find a shield or weapon in OV, I can actually use it right away.
    In HC you can't use that crossbow you just found because your class can't
    use it or you need to level up more. This kills the fun a bit for finding things.

The fighting in both games is pretty good. I deam it a tie in that department.
    Thought , right now, I really like the Orc's lightning charge attack that
    cause the baddies to explode.

Where OV knocks HC call down for the count is in the immersive world it
    brings to the table. Pillars and walls crumble as your character runs by
    Gargoyles spewing water from their mouths and fire embers float in the air.
    Many times I stopped playing , just to look at the wonderful scenery.
    The little touches of skeletons scailing the walls with grappling hooks or
    spiders scurrying down the hanging chains , really made me utter 'cool'
    more than a few times.

In OV the world seems very large scale. HC feels like you are playing tiny missions in a tiny part of town.

HC feels like a game made for the IPhone. OV feels more like a console game.

For me, Orc's Vengence is , hands down , the best top down RPG IPad game I have played
    to date.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Bastion and Anomaly Warzone Earth HD says hi. :D

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Yes, I'm sure those are both great games. I have yet to play them though.

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You havent? Oh dood... Get those... You'll be in for a treat!

7. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    You need to play bastion. It's the best game I've played on any ios device to date.

8. TheXion

TheXion Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Student Physiotherapist
    Leonel's creepy roommate
    You need to play Volt, I heard that game is da bomb ;-P

9. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Heroes Call and Orc Vengeance

Hello all. Frisbee10461 here.

I think Heroes Call removed many of the issues people had with the game, including removing the time limit, and adding a fourth character. Also, the Hard mode is fantastic for those who crave a challenge.

As for me, I completed the game with the Warrior, Wizard, and Shadow Assassin characters in both Normal and Hard modes. I love playing that game.

Orc Vengeance is also a nice game for me to play, and I hope the developers are as responsive as those are for Heroes Call. As an example, the circle and zigzag moves are difficult to implement.

Also, I do hope the devs do not plan to charge for the upgrade, considering we already paid for the game. To me, that would be disastrous, similar to what happened with Dark Meadow.

In short, I would say that Heroes Call and Orc Vengeance complement each other nicely, and you should play both of them.

Just my two cents,
    frisbee10461

10. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Is there a release date for the update yet? I can't wait for the iPhone 5 widescreen support.

And how long does the sale last for?

11. robertto

robertto Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Man if this game was on the vita even for 5 or 10 bucks it would sell to almost everyone that owns one.

fantastic little game, but plenty to improve on in a hopeful sequel in terms or variety, more depth in loot, and controls ( why not have swipe up, swipe down, swip left, and swipe right all as different spells?).

12. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    This game is fantastic

13. hey guys... thanks for the nice comments :) We love reading them. We also read the negative comments, and we think we've addressed most of them in the update we're finalizing now. Just a few more things to add and some testing and we can get it released soon.

As for why we might not have done <insert your favorite RPG feature here>, you should know Big Cave is just two guys and some great contract help so we have to keep the game's features focused or we'd never ship anything heh. If the game keeps selling well ( and people throw some IAP purchases our way every now and then to support us ;) ), then we'd love to be able to keep adding on to the game and making it even better with each update.

As for how long the sale will go on, we're guessing through Halloween but we're leaving that up to Chillingo to determine.

A quick summary of some of the new features in the update:

• virtual controls! thumb stick + 5 buttons.. (attack + the 4 gesture buttons)
    • Five hidden sub-levels that you enter through the existing campaign maps.. they are HARD and likely you'll want to revisit them after finishing the campaign (Note I believe the game shipped with 17 combat levels so that's quite a few extra levels)
    • 3 Difficulty levels
    • Auto-run ( for tap and virtual controls )
    • New rare/unique weapons and shields only found in the sub levels
    • native iPhone5 support
    • some new monsters inhabiting the sub-levels

-andrew

14. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    It's very impressive how such a massive game can be made by just 2 guys, Unity3D, and a indie publisher. Great job on this upcoming release! Thanks for working so hard on this, Big Cave Games!

Also, do you guys need any more beta testers, especially those with iPod Touch 4G models?

15. redcoat

redcoat Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    student
    las vegas
    would be pretty awesome if there was a survival mode

16. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Nah. I have a Vita, and enjoy it. But I only buy big games for Vita. For small, casual and indie games, I'll just get the much cheaper iOS versions. You just know this game would cost at least $10 on Vita. Case in point, Plants vs Zombies. $15 for the Vita version. CRAZY.

17. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012

I think this proof of how much you guys are trying to improve this game. You Gus are doing a great job! The controls were a weakness of this game, and your trying to fix it. I'm unsure if it is the limitation of the touch screen or what makes it so hard to pull of the circle or zigzag.

Keep up the hard work.

(Also think if there is a sequel there may be more "RPGs features"before the game to have. With two men building this game this is a great game. Some teams with massive teams don't make a game with this much flavor to it...game loft......)

18. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    #358 GSJ1977, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    Great news. Re: IAP donations, you should add a donate button, seriously. A one buck IAP that gives the player nothing. I've seen it in games before (Solomons Keep). Some people (like me) would be happy to give you a little extra cash but don't want any additional in-game advantage, especially in a game that's already a bit too easy.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    +1 to this. Most games i never buy IAP for because of how it could potentially ruin the game.

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woh... I love you man.