Paid -> free = ?!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Carlos, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    #1 Carlos, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    Toucharcaders have *always* been notified first when I made Libra Balance free. (Also this is the place where I give away nearly all promo codes.)
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately this proved not to be a too smart move. I was happy to see that there were over 2000 downloads / day when the game was free, however I've got many 1 star reviews after this action.

The game was 4 and 3+ stars before, but now it's only 2.5!
    I've updated the game 3 times, trying to implement all the requested improvements.
    However, due to the poor ratings, sales dropped drastically.

My other game, 3D Jingle Balls got only 4 and 5 star ratings.
    It has never been free.
    [​IMG]
    Based on the same engine as Libra Balance, the only difference is that it has seasonal themes (Christmas trees, snowman, teddy bear, etc.). Check out the user review here.

All I ask you is to support me with some honest ratings, or even a better, a review. :)

The best reviews will be rewarded with a promo code for our upcoming game (top secret right now ;), will be published in february). Just don't forget to PM me.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
    Carlos

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I can't tell you why, because I know they're the same game engine, but I have a lot more fun with 3D Jingle Balls than I ever did with Libra Balance (and you have definitely improved on the original version...) I think the Christmas theme fits the game very well.

Might be a little late for Valentines Day, but maybe a green, shamrock and leprechaun-laden version might to well for ya...

What else could you do, billiards? :confused:

3. bleeper

bleeper Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    The concept and graphics are great, but the accelerometer calibration issue makes the game more difficult than it should be, IMO.

My guess is that when you made the game free, the downloads were mostly from casual gamers who wouldn't put in the time and effort necessary to overcome the lack of calibration before giving it a bad rating.

4. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    #4 Carlos, Jan 7, 2010
    @drelbs: Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, I must admit, the gameplay is way easier in 3D Jingle Balls (it was mainly intended for kids ;). The holes are bigger, the balls are flyweight, and the plate meshes provide lot of help by not letting the balls fall down easy off the edges.

@bleeper: I think you are right regarding the bad ratings. Same happened to another dev who made his game free for Halloween.
    Regarding the calibration issue: I assume that most players don't get it that you actually do not control the balls like in Labyrinth-style games.
    Actually you control the platter by tiliting / turning / shanking your iDevice, and not the balls directly. Once I explained this to a guy he managed to get into the top 10 instantly.

5. Drkdstoyer

Drkdstoyer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Artist for a developing game
    Tennessee
    i've been trying to leave u a review :) but itunes is messin up :( So ill post when i leave u one:)

6. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I have said this before and I think the same applies here too. When a game is free many people download it for the heck of it - just because its free and it might interest them. They might play the game for a bit, decide for whatever reason that they don't like it, then delete it off their device. The problem there is that whenever you go to delete an app, apple puts up their little - would you like to rate this app before you delete it screen. That is the WORST time to have someone rate an app! They are in the process of deleting it - of COURSE they will rate it a 1 or 2 just out of spite! People won't be deleting an app if they think its 5 star worthy! I think many ratings get skewed that way because of the impulse buy and delete. When someone has to pay for the app they have something invested in it, even if its only 99 cents. I think apple has harmed devs in their quest for more ratings in that way.

7. Drkdstoyer

Dec 11, 2009
    Tennessee
    Hey man i rated it finally :) my apple reviewer name is Hunt.14 :D check it out!!!!!

8. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    #8 Carlos, Jan 7, 2010
    @New England Gamer: Indeed, that sounds logical.

@Drkdstoyer: Thank you! Hope will show up shortly. :)

9. Drkdstoyer

Dec 11, 2009
    Tennessee
    I hope it helps :( sry your game is biting the dust :( I have been trying to convince all of my friends to get it sooo i hope it helps :)

10. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    The more you pay, the more it's worth.

11. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    It's true that the rate on delete feature caused the average rating for many apps to plumet. It has a particularly harsh effect on free apps. But despite this, there are still many free apps that manage to hang on to mostly 5 star ratings. The game has to be mainstream and appealing enough to not have people impulsively deleting it.

12. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Thanks! Fortunately this is not my only income, however it would be nice to at least get back the initial investments. No problem, the AppStore is still the best place for indie devs imho. I want to believe! ;)

13. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    IMO it's the PEOPLE who are doing the rating. The cheap-skates who dont buy anything and dont understand the work the devs puts in, and what an app is REALLY worth.

14. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    This is an axiom. (I will rise the price! ;) )

15. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Hard to anticipate: sometimes the best intentions turn against the dev. In my case, the simplistic process of creating an offline (or online) user profile made some people angry. However, this was actually a feature, which allowed more players to play and manage highscores on the very same iDevice. Lesson learned...

16. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Thank you very much for the help so far!

17. bleeper

bleeper Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I always knew that you control the platter and not the balls... However, after reading your reply I revisited Libra Balance and focused on the platter a lot more than on the balls, and there was a subtle shift in the gameplay experience for me. The game simply became very challenging, rather than frustrating. I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Mea culpa. :eek:

I still think a bit of accelerometer sensitivity calibration would be nice, but I no longer think it's a necessity. You might want to include a tip to focus on the platter in your help screens in-game... I think it would help a lot. I hadn't rated the game before, so I just gave it a 5 star rating.

18. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Thanks, bleeper! Especially for shedding some light on the importance of emphasizing that you actually control the plater. PM'd you.

19. minorpane

minorpane Well-Known Member

Notice how free games are always lower rated?

20. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Mostly all free games have low ratings, it's straight bullcrap. Especially for games that are challenging but fun. Freeloaders don't get the challenging part and rate it as such. Especially when the game isn't from a big name publisher.

Libra Balance is FUN!