Universal Justice League: Earth's Final Defense (By Netmarble)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iANiMeX, Aug 1, 2012.

1. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Just install Xcon from the Cydia store. I'm playing this game right now on my jailbroken 4S - works fine.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Okay, I've deleted just about everything related to jb/tethering/etc. No more comments related to any of that here unless it's confirmation that Xcon works with the game, thanks.

3. jcifrit

jcifrit Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    graduate student/researcher
    Ontario, Canada
    I doubt DC had anything to do with this game...the translation in the app description is atrocious.

4. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    The presentation in this game could use a lot more polish, but the basic game is fun and works pretty well. I like that there are a lot of skills and things to upgrade, most of the games of this type have simplified and streamlined the RPG elements to where they barely exist.

I was disappointed that the cards turned out to be for buffs and aren't strikers or special attacks or anything. I kept clicking on the card trying to get Robin to come out and kick some ass.

The game also gives you a pitiful amount of the power points you need to buy extra costumes and cards, so it does seem to be steering players toward IAP.

5. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Xcon in Cydia indeed works.

Beat the game this afternoon, a nice little button masher but nothing deep or as engaging as might be thought. No real need for skills, just Passives will do, otherwise I just loaded up supes with attack only and hit the punch button til the game was beaten. Some bosses took some work and mostly it's positioning yourself away from them long enough to recharge health to win the attrition battle.

Support cards were disappointing, I assumed u could call in the hero to help for a bit but it's just a stat boost. No multiplayer? Even streets of rage ports can do coop,this would have boosted the game tremendously.

6. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    It's a decent game but it won't hold your attention long. You have to unlock Flashand Green Lantern, you can not use them right away.

On support cards... You unlock them and then you have to buy them anyway. The other user is correct in stating you don't need skills for the most part. I have most stages to at least a B Rank through Normal and I rarely skill as The Green Lantern. I use the flying skill just to mix it up.

For those dying a lot if you stand still for five seconds or so you will heal up on your own. Sad, this game could have been more. For the same money I would just play Orc.

7. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Great. In that case I'll have a think about buying it tomorrow, since watching the game impression from Sanuku doesn't exactly thrill me...

so far it looks kind of boring, I read someone compare the combat to TDKR:eek: don't be silly...TDKR is miles ahead of this game. I don't like the fact the d-pad is fixed and already the monotonous drone of the combat sound effects as well as the boring music has proven my early suspicion of long term annoyance.

Jheez, I've almost talked myself out of buying it:D

8. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    DC advertised and backed this on their official Facebook and Twitter.

9. jcifrit

jcifrit Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    graduate student/researcher
    Ontario, Canada
    Actually now that you mention it I do recall seeing it on their Facebook; shame.

10. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    Well noted.

Anyway Sanuku helped much with the screenshots and descriptions. Perhaps we can spend our $2.99 somewhere else. It just doesn't do justice (pun intended) to the superhero team :rolleyes:

11. Linebarrel86

Linebarrel86 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Cog in the corporate machine.
    In my skin...
    Wow!

Seems to be quite a bit of complaining regarding a $3 game. I understand people want quality products and don't want to waste their money, but it's only a couple of bucks.

This isn't like spending the cash you would for a Square Enix title.

12. Tomboi

Tomboi Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    It's a hight quanlity game, so that the price $2.99 is not expensive and I like this game!

13. juliocezarmari

juliocezarmari New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Bought.

Damn reflexes. Now lets hope its good.

14. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I guess I missed the part where when you start up the game both WB and DC comics are the first two names you see stamped on it... :rolleyes: I couldn't agree more with the horrible Engrish.

Im not one to complain about app icons but the 'Netmarble' at the bottom is a serious eyesore. -______-

15. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Know they're two completely different types of game but I'm getting Dark Knight Rises over this. Might pick this up on a slow week.

16. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Omg!!!! I almost fell asleep when i saw sanuku's video. Jesus i am not buying it. No way i am staying away.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    This looks terrible, please say I'm wrong :(

18. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    You're not.

I had a chance to play this game yesterday, it IS boring. I just didn't find it fun at all.. The game play is bland, you just go around mashing the punch button...no real excitement, no fancy special effects, no character voice effects..all you hear is the ongoing drone of the 'punch' noises, boring level designs...:(

C'mon, we had better beat'em up scrollers in the 80s and 90s than this pile of ish!

19. whereswally

whereswally Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Is there more than 3 costumes? I dont see the superman beyond costume.
    And where is wally's costume? :D

20. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #100 Echoen, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    Game Impressions

I'll focus on the gameplay from a player's perspective. I played Batman up to level 30 (i think 60 is max, not sure) and beat the game on normal with him using a pure focus / critical hit build. I've also tried the Flash, Green lantern and Wonder Woman. The game can be played with just the attack button but the ideal way is to juggle your enemies with normal attacks and weaving in skills before the last normal hit which would send enemies flying away. The enemies themselves can juggle you and because there is no dodge or block mechanic, you can get screwed if you don't move around. getting hit by the last hit of a combo is guaranteed to make you hug the floor unless you're in the middle of an attack's animation. 2 hits is a pretty common combo and while you're out, you can still take damage. Enemies themselves that are down can't even be hit with skills, which is a big disappointment. it's like the superheroes are trying to be fair, not attacking a downed opponent. Aww... How thoughtful! They can sometimes be hit when they're down next to a wall though. Still, it's frustrating to have chipped away at a boss' health bar when suddenly you're mobbed by all the minions attacking at the same time and you get juggled to death in 1 roll. Wicked!

The skill system is what I love about the game most because of the urge to get that next skill upgrade or character card. Personally, the skill upgrades could use some rebalancing but it's fair enough. They had some pretty good ideas in designing how each character plays such as for wonder woman, she feels like a paladin, tanky with a healing and eventually an attack buff skill in one and another regeneration passive. Batman feels like a thief and is best at critical hits. The Flash feels like a slick sniper that goes into melee range for the kill but can easily run out to safety thanks to his amazing speed. Green Lantern is like a wizard in that he relies on energy the most and hits pretty hard. There is a sense of progression but for no other end game objective than to max out everything by farming on hard mode.

As for using the skills in actual combat? It's crazy fun! Juggling is the key to getting the most enjoyment out of the game. The brawling is what it's all about in the first place. It does start off rather slow but the skill points roll in soon enough. With smart mixing of skills and proper positioning, you will feel like you're actually playing a superhero instead of some scrawny kid with fireworks. It would be awesome though if you could see your character 100% of the time but no, the camera wants to hide you and that brute behind a wall while you do your thing. Not too common, but it happens.

The auto targeting... It's horrible. Kinda random too in selecting who you're gonna aim for. Ranged and lunging attacks miss more often than i'd like and coupled with the invulnerable downed targets, it slows down the pacing of the game. Dead foes also leave an impassable invisible collision size for a few seconds after you kill them and those often get in the way of your next target. Projectiles of any form can oddly go through walls. Given the dumb pathing mobs have, you can hide behind a car and shoot without them ever finding a way around to you. This is a great way to heal up.

Enemy AI. All of the enemies just get a skin change for every stage theme. You basically fight only 3 enemies plus bosses: a trashy melee, a gunner, and a brute. These have varying attack strength and health made obvious by their looks. Enemies DO NOT MOVE unless they're going to attack. That's every 5-15 seconds depending on the type of enemy. That's right. 15 seconds of being able to stand next to an enemy so you can regenerate some health. They'll just stand there facing in whatever direction you're at as you beat em up silly. What a turn off! The bosses and a few of the stronger mobs have set attack patterns that cycle all throughout the battle like in mega man or sonic the hedgehog. They don't get harder as they take damage like in those games though. Knowing their patterns, you can then easily kite bosses (attacking and then running right away over and over again) with short combos and sometimes juggles. When you see a boss moving towards you for a melee hit, you can safely just move towards and then around them to trigger the animation wherever they aimed for you and attack from behind.

Though the AI is dumb, they get harder because they become cheap. Your health bar can go all the way down in a handful number of hits by end game, even on easy. Boss batles would be cakewalk if there weren't any mobs respawning to their aid. This is why I went with a critical hit build for batman since he has a passive that guarantees instant health and energy regeneration on landing a critical hit. Mine has over 50% chance to crit for 300+% critical damage so it works pretty well.

Speaking of health, it's a problem because enemies will land hits on you often enough especially if you don't move around to 'dodge' attacks. Some characters regenerate health and energy better than others but it's a real pain in the beginning for all. Again, even a blocking system would help lessen the down time lying the floor from cheap combos and trying to heal up. It would have been nice if you could regenerate even just energy while in combat and then gain boosts with the various passives. Instead, you have to rely on out of combat healing that works after standing still for 3 seconds or randomly finding restorative power ups in crates. No potions here, folks. I'd advise you to get the regeneration passives maxed out as soon as possible to keep things Always going at a constant pace.

Given the game was made by a Korean group, I'm lead to believe IAP isn't needed. Farming is no big deal for Asian players. However, since the IP is better known in the western world, IAP becomes rather attractive because it will take a long time to unlock every playable character, support card and costume. Green lantern and the flash can be unlocked shortly after a single playthrough. The support cards are shared across characters and are made available for unlocking by doing boss battles with each of the DC charcters. Each character has 3 costumes with different attributes so it's worth unlocking the one that suits your build.

I like the game enough to at least try the other characters. It's far from outstanding but the RPG elements and skillful play satisfy. Facing the enemy AI is repetitive and boring and has a lot of quirks but overall, Justice League: EFD might work well enough for some die-hard DC fans, probably at least for one playthrough with a favorite DC character. Otherwise, steer clear from this.