NOVA revisited

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by helmania, Feb 19, 2010.

1. helmania

helmania Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    #1 helmania, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    I previously review this game here and all the gameloft fanboys came crying afoul. However, after playing this game some more and comparing it to the true masterpiece that is CoD:Zombies, I couldn't have hated gameloft more for ever charging anything over $.99 for such a boring game.

If you want to talk about great graphics, controls, and amazing gameplay, CoD is where it's at. Gameloft's pathetic attempt at putting Halo on the iphone is a massive failure. Not only was this game nothing like halo with the exception of the stolen gun designs and environments, it did not have any of the fun/interesting aspects of Halo.

At the end, NOVA is now at the bottom of the most grossed list in the app store while CoD continues it's relentless assault even with a new, rather expensive map.

CoD shows gameloft how to make a real shooter. Hopefully they learned something. :D

2. tylertv

tylertv Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I think that CoD is thriving due to name recognition. Call of Duty is one of the hottest franchises right now. When you see that name come up, even if you don't play games, you have some idea of what it is. It helps to drive the impulse sale.

Nova is a fine game, but isn't called Halo. If it were, you'd see it higher on the paid apps list.

3. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Uh.... Okay. Wrong place though. Should go in game discussion.
    I personally like NOVA more. That might just be me though.

4. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Hmm, the whole N.O.V.A. is gonna be HALO for iPhone pre-release hype was a bit of a misconception though, wasn't it? And personally I found the game to be hugely enjoyable in its own right.

Anyway each to their own, It'll all be about BiA 2 versus CoD soon...

5. helmania

Dec 18, 2009
    I'm sorry but NOVA was a complete waste of the entire 2 hours total I put into it. I found the game horrific and only those who are easily impressed apparently like it. No offense to anyone. The trailer for BiA2 looks terrible. I will make sure I stay FAR away from this one.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    100% on target.

7. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    i only agree on BiA2... the graphic looks worse then N.O.V.A.! But i like nova. blasting off those small turtle robotic things.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The juxtaposition of those two thoughts just makes me laugh.

Hey, helmania, you can go f*ck yourself. No offense.

9. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    If your impression hasn't changed, why make a new thread? Other than that you're a troll.

I think the games are comparable in quality.

10. helmania

Dec 18, 2009
    squarezero, fancy that! I knew the gameloft zombies would eventually come out. Where did I put that ray gun now?

11. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    well those who like NOVA are still going to like NOVA..

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Calm down bud.
    Gameloft has been criticized enough for making 'clones' and has explained flawlessly why that is so.

But to call nova trash is honestly too far. You may not know it, but gameloft is the company that made the idevice world know that the iPhone or itouch were capable of these 'console quality' games. They've honestly done more for this platform than any other developer has even nearly so.
    Yes, many of their games are quite linear, but play through them and you'll see that all the polish is there.

Their games aren't only appreciated by idiots. And honestly there is a significantly greater amount of people that consider nova's controls to COD.
    I'm excited for BIA 2 either way.
    P.s. Squarezero is no fanboi.

13. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Easily impressed? What gameloft did was ****ing impressive. Name one game that has as much detail in that many maps with that good of controls.
    No offense to CoD, but it only has 2 maps with less detail than NOVA, and the controls aren't as good.
    Haha and what has a better story? ;)

They are totally different games, and shouldn't be compared except for Graphics and Controls.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Hey, instead of starting a pointless thread, why do you go and buy Catacombs. It's cheap, pretty freaking awesome, and not made by Gameloft.

Or how about Space Miner. Or Across Age. Or Samurai: Way of the Warrior. Or The Infinity Project. Or any of the many indie games I've reviewed, plugged, beta tested, or otherwise supported?

Yeah, didn't think so.

By the way, Activision just laid off a huge chunk of their workforce, even as they racked up record profits. Nice guys.

15. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Space Miner and Infinity Project FTW!!!! I disagree with you though, BiA 2 looks like a disappointment to me, and I have a feeling that MC:S will still reign supreme as the best military FPS on the iDevice even after BiA 2 is released.

BTW thanks for helping me so much with app selection :)

16. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I must disagree with you- i think these games are very comparable, as they are both high quality FPS's that have been compared to their console counterparts. And while I agree that NOVA has an overall better gaming experience, Cod only has 2 maps-but those maps are larger, better designed, and more dramatic than NOVA's 5. Not trying to take away from NOVA- it is just important though that we acknowledge what a great game CoD Zombies is

17. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    i agree

18. helmania

Dec 18, 2009
    It doesn't matter what everyone thinks. It all comesdown to fun, cod is fun
    nova is boring.

19. David7

David7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    South Dakota
    It doesn't matter what people think, but you think it is fun so it is?

I prefer NOVA just because you can actually win. Also, COD looks fairly dark on the lower brightness levels.

20. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    True, they're comparable, but only so far. CoD does have better map designs, but NOVA has more gameplay variety. CoD has sweet multiplayer, NOVA has ok multiplayer. On the flip side, single player is a lot more fun on NOVA. NOVA has great animations and framerates, CoD has pretty good animations and better sound.
    They both have different goals in the games though, and that's the biggest diff. One you're on the front line moving forward trying to save mankind and in one you're locked in a house trying to save yourself.

Both good games. NOVA is more of my style of play though.