Universal DARIUSBURST SP [by TAITO]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. #221 Connector, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    Sumosplash, you have done your homework well. But the text is so small, it is not as noticable as it may seem. I didn't even notice til you mentioned it.

Also there may be copyright issues, I think there was a game called Darius in the past, even though I am not sure.

The screen does not rotate, but on both my ipad and iphone it is in the correct orientation (meaning headphone up) so I don't notice.

As for retina, it looks retina on my iphone. Even on my new ipad it looks very good. Doubt they would ever make this ipad retina since it is a port. The bosses look awesome graphically. I think the best on ios shmups since they are slightly 3d.

These guys in this thread got me to buy it since we got all the shmup fans here. And now that I bought it, I highly recommend it.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This is the latest in a line of Darius games going back to the original one which was also made by Taito, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues ;)

3. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Yeah Darius is Taito all the way. I think the only issue with changing the title would be that it would be changed on the iPad too since it's Universal, but that's fine with me since I only have an iPhone :D Darius SP would be more accurate anyway.

I wish Taito had more time for the forum. It would be nice to talk to them.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha yep was gonna say someone needs to do their homework if they think Taito is stealing the name of an old game ! Taito have been around for years and have done many great games in the past, wish they would re-release some of their old classics (Eg a Bubble Bobble app with the sequels).

Just hope they release more

5. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I'd pay a lot of money for a re-done version of G-Darius. HD, Retina, the works. It would be more than worth whatever the asking price would be.

6. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I hate to keep taking up room on this thread with my title hang up, but this makes no sense to me. Dariusburst is 11 characters, and Darius Burst, if you count the space in between, is 12 characters. I have three games on one page right now that have 13 characters in the title and they aren't abbreviated or done using ellipses at all.

Zombieville 2 -- 13 characters including the space
    S.CrossfireHD -- 13 characters including the period
    Project 83113 --13 characters including the space

So, why is it that Dariusburst/Darius Burst in either form could not fit? Is Taito using ellipses on purpose? If so, why? It looks retarded!

7. You are right, we should start a revolt! I think part of the problem stems from them using all capitals, which use up more pixel space. But maybe with this font, even using all lower cases, Dariusburst wouldn't fit. Maybe one of the developers here could try it to see if it would fit.

Looks great on my ipad, so guess the ipad allows more characters which makes sense since it is bigger.

I found another one on my iphone, Toast the Chicken is Toast...icken, and a new long name is Velocirapture which is 13 characters.

It is a little strange now that you mentioned it.

8. Sumosplash,

Check out the "Non-cave shmup" thread under the general gaming section for some answers to some of your questions. Attached to that post are screenshots of some of the best ios shmups!

Hope it helps in determining if you will want to buy Dariusburst or any of the other games. See ya!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=142098&page=4

9. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Well, if I was putting a game out and realized that my title wouldn't fit because I had it in capitals then I surely would change it to lower case. There is no point in having it read DARIUSBURST just to have it cut down to DARI...URST. I would personally title my game so it looks exactly the same on both. In this case it just so happens that DARIUS SP would not only be a shorter title to fit, but would also be the most accurate since the SP is unique to only iOS.

I wish Apple would have a setting where you could turn off the titles of the apps completely. This would also fit Apple's style, recognizing something by label instead of title.

The whole thing is just a pet peeve of mine. It just seems contradictory to make a beautiful game and then have it presented with ellipses.

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I was just watching some YouTube videos of G-Darius and R-Type Delta and Final. Would you guys give one of both testicles to have updated versions of these games on your iDevice? :D

11. Uuhhhhhhhh, no!

Think you've been playing a little too much Angry Birds...

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #232 SumoSplash, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
    Bought it. HOLY FLUFFY BUNNIES this game is beautiful!!!

First off, if this game was Retina I think my eyes would bleed. These graphics are absolutely mesmerizing. They actually do look HD to me. This is the kind of game where I do NOT want to kill the enemies simply for the fact that they are so gorgeous. I try to let as many of them appear on screen at once and THEN blow them up. The production value behind this is stellar and the 3D is like a top shelf dessert--you want to stare at it longingly before you take a bite. The screenshots truly do NOT do this game justice. Not even close.

I think the gameplay is too straight forward to top G-Darius, which is so hard to oust as my number one due to the ability to lock onto enemies and use their abilities as your own. But this game is up there, WAY up there on my list.

-I wish there was an additional level of difficulty beyond the Hard setting. It's a little on the easy side in general. It's the king of the 'traditional' shooter, but could benefit from a slight injection of bullet hell.

-Like all great desserts, the experience is outstanding but somewhat sad when you reach the last bite. I wish this game never ended and it definitely leaves you wanting a lot more considering it is so short (especially the first level which is painfully and entirely too brief). I wish Taito would add some kind of endless mode, or something that would prolong the longevity of the game beyond just the campaign.

-And the icon title, which I've been shooting my mouth off about. It definitely seems not to fit on the iPhone because of the capitals. This is just sloppy. The best shooter available on iOS deserves a clean look on each device. Please change it to DARIUS SP.

This game is NEVER leaving my iPhone.

Taito, in the immortal genre of the shooter, you are Gods among insects. Please give us more and keep up the great work.

13. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    you can play for highscores, the scoring system is simple but yet it provides some challenge too.

14. Glad you concur with my statements on the graphics in this game. The 3d bosses are just awesome, wish more games could have this 3d look. Icarus X kind of does, but it is not close to the level of Dariusburst.

When I first bought Dariusburst, I too was disappointed by the difficulty level. Especially because it is hidden in the settings menu instead of choosing before the game starts. So I was thinking this game is so pretty, but way to easy.

After I found the hard mode, it was much better. But personally, I wish there was a hell mode like Cave games do, I always play my shooters with the difficulty as high as possible since most games are not very long.

I would recommend for you to buy one Cave Game and Space Tripper. I would recommend Bug Princess 2 for $7, for the price, it 's the best way to see if you enjoy Cave games. Even though the graphics aren't as good as dodonpachi hd, the file size is much smaller, and the bullet patterns may be funner due to being a little more random.

Space tripper while not a true shmup is a side scroller like Dariusburst played in an arena setting. It cost $4, so if you bought both of these games it would be around $10, and would make your collection more complete.

Hopefully, you got toon shooters and icarus-x on sale last month for free, while they are not as good as the heavy hitters like Dariusburst or cave, they are fun nonetheless.

Glad you are enjoying Dariusburst, when I was making those screenshots for you, I kept hearing that music in level 1 of the original mode, now it keeps ringing in my ears and brain even when I'm not playing it.

15. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #235 SumoSplash, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    I've spent the last three hours playing this game with headphones on (which I had not yet done) and really sat down and listened to it, dying on purpose multiple times just to hear each track play all the way through. This is absolutely, without a doubt, the best sound track I have ever heard in a video game. Ever, hands down. It even beats out one of my all time favorites, Dracula X. Honestly, I think it might be TOO good, in that it almost overshadows the gameplay. I even think the sound track to G-Darius may fit the game better, but in terms of straight musicality, this is the best ever.

Between the first half of Zone B (Board Music), Zone C (Boss Music), the percussion of Zone F (Boss Music) and Zone G (Boss Music), the hypnotic trance of Zone I (Board Music), I am having difficulty picking my favorite. No, scratch that... My favorite music is the second half of Zone J boss, Dark Helios... No, my music favorite is Zone K boss Great Thing :D

Sorry to bump the thread again, but for anyone that comes across this game, the music is worth the 10.99 in itself.

16. mrfu55y

mrfu55y Member

Dec 8, 2012
    On sale £2.99 still no support for iPhone 5

17. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    worth this price?

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    If you're a shmup fan, it's worth the original, plus some... so yeah.

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    It was on my wish list for too long a time -- but at last!

It was a bit on the easy side (as Easy mode), the arts style is definitely different from CAVE things. But so far, I like it so far.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I just got Darius II for my SEGA and Darius Twin for my SNES in the mail a couple days ago, and I have to admit, I'm enjoying Dariusburst even more now. The oldschool titles are crazy good, and I'm kicking myself for not getting them sooner. The only Darius title I use to have was Darius R on my GameBoy.

Anyway... just wanted to say that I'm still loving this game. It was an easy addition to my top 10 favorites of the year. =oD