Games Like Fire Emblem?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ludka33, Apr 21, 2016.

1. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I feel like I've played them all. FFT, XCom, Ravenmark, Wesnoth, Kingturn, Partia, Eustrath, et. al. I've loved each of them, but none have quite scratched that itch, although Partia and Eustrath have come close.

What I'm looking for is something more true to the source, or an actual port. Perma-death of the individual characters, good story, tactical combat, the whole nine yards. Is there some hidden gem I'm missing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    If you've tried Partia and Eustrath, you've played the closest, and I agree, neither one quite has "it". You could also give Princess & Knight a go, or Swords Of Anima, but honestly, I doubt either of those will scratch the itch either.

For all the fairly good Advance Wars clones there are on iOS, I wish one of them would take the same step Intelligent Systems did and use their engine to make a Fire Emblem-like. But it's a much more difficult project, I'd imagine, and I think it's out of reach of the average indie plying their trade on mobile.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    How about warbits?

4. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Not really Fire Emblem, but Banner Saga puts strategy together with a nice setting. For more no frills strategy, there's Skulls of the Shogun.

5. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    #5 ludka33, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Thanks guys. I've played Banner Saga (twice now), and I loved it.

I'm sure I'll give warbits and the other three you all mentioned a go, and I'm sure I'll love them. I'm also sure they'll not be quite what I'm looking for.

I agree, Shaun! I think a true "spiritual successor" would do very well on ios. That, and it almost seems a perfect fit for a touchscreen build. It is a major undertaking, though, fraught with a lot of risk, as the developer for Partia can attest to.