Topia World Builder suggestions thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JoshCM, Oct 10, 2012.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I don't believe this had already been started so I'm officially starting it here. Would be great to get your thoughts and feedback about Topia so that we can plan future updates! Anything goes (obviously we have to choose what is doable) :)
    Thanks so much for checking it out!
    -Josh

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    A living area people doing work hunting maybe set a civilization date along with the other options maybe adding snow and rain other weather affects.

3. lazynahte

lazynahte Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Student
    I'd prefer it to not have humans. I don't want an Age of Empires but more of a Spore. I have bought the game but haven't played much of it yet.

4. Ajstadel

Ajstadel Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    I'd like community sharing of worlds a la Eden. I know it'd be difficult, it's just a suggestion.

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I didn't think of that. Yeah monsters like that and weird alien type buildings I guess we kinda want a real mobile spore less ea and more greatness.

6. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    My number one suggestion for an update is the ability to save our world/creation in its current state and resume where we left off.

7. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    It would be quite easy to save out the entire world state but, for complex reasons, a dump of the entire world state takes around ten times as much space as a recording of an hour of 'play'. This is an issue because we want to make Topia about sharing worlds. Obviously in it's current state it's a little useless with no fast forward but that's going in right now. I'm pretty sure it'll be able to fast wind at around 50x speed.

8. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    #8 Candykiller, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    Thanks for the explanation, Glenn. I had a feeling there must be some technical reason why we can't save the current state and resume where we left off. The ability to fast forward would certainly help a lot. Glad to hear you are working on it.

The world building tools are excellent, and I could easily see myself spending hours creating and tinkering with one world, but I'm reluctant to do so at present knowing that I would have to sit through the whole playback in real time before I can resume where I left off.

Great work so far, and I look forward to the fast forward capabilities in an update.

EDIT - Another thing Glenn, when you say it takes ten times more space to save the entire world state, how much space are you talking about? Is it unreasonably huge?

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    This is enough for me regarding savegames :) my suggestions for future updates are:

- weather: rain, snow, wind, etc. Randomized if possible.
    - temperature: hot/cold regions, possibility to change temperature. I guess this is directly related to the aforementioned "weather" option.
    - fish: I think you said you're on it.
    - different water level: to be able to make waterfalls, mountain lakes, etc.
    - more animals and interaction between them? I haven't played much yet, so I don't know the interaction between animals that we have.

I like the game idea as it is now: and open sandbox world creator. I don't know if my ideas are programmer-friendly or not, but those are the ideas I had ;) thanks for your work. Even in its current state it's been well worth the 0.79€ :)

10. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    The entire world state is around 3mb compressed, not huge but way more than the 100kb that represents a 15 minute recording. The fully dumped level isn't unreasonably huge but right now we're not sure exactly what sharing mechanism we'll be using.

11. lazynahte

lazynahte Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Student
    Why do you have to go through the playback before you can edit again? Is it not possible to scrap that?

12. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    The game has to run through the replay, it will be possible to fast forward through it or even have a 'start from where I was last time' button that fast winds for you. This is almost working here already and will be submitted very soon.

13. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    3MB is nothing in this day and age. I really feel that we need an option to resume in the world state where we left off. The more I play around with Topia (and it's great fun by the way) the more frustrating the playback thing becomes.

The way I see it, with a creation/sim type game, most people will want to create, reshape, and see how the world evolves over time. (hours) It is going to get ridiculous if we have to play through the entire creation history of the planet each time we resume play.

14. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Glenn, I just read your comment about having a 'start from where I was last time' button, after I posted. That sounds more like it.

15. nremondelli

nremondelli Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Some type of evolution like Spore would be great.

16. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I think I speak for most of us when I say, 3mb is nothing and I would really appreciate a save feature. Oh and forgot to say, I am really enjoying this game. I don't know what is so fun about building your own planets, but man I can't stop

17. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    #17 GlennX, Oct 11, 2012
    It depends how the sharing works though, imagine being able to fly through a galaxy of them, they'd have to be smaller. Not saying that'll happen, just trying to keep options open...

18. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    #18 Candykiller, Oct 11, 2012
    If you were to go down the route of a galaxy of user created planets, couldn't you somehow display them as small snapshot/previews, and only when the user taps on one it would load up the full 3mb file?

Also, if players were able to browse a galaxy full of user-created planets, surely they would need to be displayed in their current state to identify what they look like. There wouldn't be much point in browsing planets in their original form before they were actually designed/created.

19. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    It would probably have a smallish low-res version of the current state stored with each save and that's what you'd see.

20. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    This game is awesome, love the idea. I would like some better animal AI though.. they're a little stupid lol