Perfectioneering?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by EfratBarTal, Dec 19, 2011.

?

Perfectionist?

1. No, just running towards the finish line.

8.3%
  2. Usually i just try to beat the game, but sometimes if it there are nice rewards i'll redo 100 times.

50.0%
  3. Yeah, i gotta 3/3 stars every level before i move on to the next one.

41.7%
  4. i only play endless runners and solitaire.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other, and i will elaborate..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Are you a gamer perfectioneer??

when you're playing, are you aiming for the completion of the game even if you only get "1 out of 3 stars" at all levels, or do you only allow yourself to progress after you aced a map?

because i'm the kind of sicko who never half-asses or third-asses a map. i always save all my "skip-level"s to only when after i pulled out all my hairs and down on all fours crying from frustration after not being successful at getting A+ at the level.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Used to do this for iOS games, but with the dramatic increase of new releases every week with each passing year, it's become impossible to find time to hit "100% completion" for games and still keep up with all the new games.

3. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
  4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I got to learn from that. I tend to get obsessed with 3-stars/gold medals etc. for some games which really slows down my game following. On the other hand, games themselves are so easy these days that simply finishing a game doesn't give me any sense of achievement. For games that I really like, i want to ace every level. I have gold stars on every level of Dark Nebula 1 and 2, for e.g. I completed PIZZA challenge for every Pizza Boy Level. Similarly, Motocross Madness, Nyx Quest... etc. etc. You get the point. I am still struggling with Jet Car Stunts Gold medals. It's been a year now! Bike Baron's another devilishly difficult game. As is 1-bit ninja big coins challenge.

An exception to this probably was Bug Panic. That game itself was such a joy that I never wanted to find all the secret pieces (whatever they were called) to get a sense of a level being aced.

The exceptions on the other end are where your Donut games kind of games which have 3-star goals but I don't get the urge to 3-star every level. Only exception to this exception is Angry Birds, which I have 3-starred. But mainly because this is my go to game in that 2-min breaks I get.

Problem is not that I miss some other casual games... but the OCD of perfecting a level comes at a cost of playing deeper games like Ravensword or Civilization or the games which usually suck me in for a couple of hours.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    With tons of games on my ipod i just want to complete games, not bothered by getting 3 stars on every level, just want to get to the next one.

The second i complete a game i deinstall it to make room for the next one

6. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    wow i couldn't agree with you more on these. some of the games today would be just too easy / short if you wouldn't try to ace all of their levels. also, i feel you on the whole donut games thing. the reason for that, at least for me, is that some of their games require skills in the "place an object on the EXACT right pixel" and i don't get much satisfaction from successfully moving my finger a millimeter on the screen surface. that, of course doesn't mean that these games are not great (example: cat physics)

7. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    It varies widely depending on the genre of game for me. When I play a physics-based puzzler, I don't care too much whether I get 1 star or 3. I'm usually just playing to pass a little time and I'll only go back to earn extra stars if I'm really bored, or if I think it will be really easy to get a higher score. On the other hand, when I play RPGs, I'm super careful about how I go through the game and if I realize at some point that I permanently missed an item or a quest, I'll restart my game even if the item is useless. I really like RPGs with an NG+ option for this reason. I always know that even if I miss something, I can grab it again in a future play-through.