How to get started and learn to program?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DPP13, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    I have been wanting to do this for awhile. But I never quite know where to start. I am considering seeing if my school has a class next semester for this but I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books or share any experience they had on learning?

2. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I suggest you to check beginners tutorial on youtube for c/c++

Goodluck!

3. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

You should check out the stanford(iOS) courses on itunes u they are the best!

4. antireality

antireality Member

Mar 11, 2011
    graphics driver monkey
    Kingston Upon Thames, UK
    1) just remember it will take a while, and don't try and write a world-beating epic of a game on your first attempt. You wouldn't sit in 2 or 3 Spanish language classes and then try and write something Cervantes would've been proud of and coding is no different. Start simple. If you want to do games try a pong clone, the old Nokia snake game, Tetris, something like that.

2) Until you get the hang of it you might want to try writing something that runs on your main computer first (using visual C++ express for windows, xcode on the mac, or whatever someone more knowledgeable can suggest if you are using Linux) - that way you can step through your code much easier and get a feel for what it's doing without having to worry about the limitations of the devkit/device. Once you know the theory you just then need to learn the quirks of whatever other system you would like to code for.

3) Don't feel stupid about asking questions. so long as you've at least had a bit of a google around the subject and come up blank (or not fully understood wherever google took you) people will be perfectly happy to help.

4) When I say 'happy to help' remember of course that this is the internet - there's always one smug annoying git wherever you ask. Ignore them and don't let it bring you down or make you want to quit. everyone else will help :)

5) Everything I learned in a programming class has somehow applied to what I do - it just has a way of looking dull, meaningless or irrelevant but don't let that fool you and stick with it. or maybe that was just my classes...

6) Enjoy it. Make something because it's something that you want to have and screw what you think everyone else wants. You can worry about coding to a specification another day, but in your own time building what you want for the simple reason you want it is a great motivation.

That little lot worked for me anyway, but I grew up coding on Commodores in the 1980s and for me it was just like Lego or Meccano - just building something to play with for a while afterwards with the coincidence that it actually turned out to be a useful skill.

5. gerball

gerball Member

Mar 2, 2010
    C++ and Objective C can be slightly overwhelming for a beginner.

Why not try Monkey?

A more streamlined, simplified language that translates to other languages. So you write your Monkey code, run it in Monkey, and have it running on iOS, Android, Flash and various other targets without even changing your code.

6. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Try thenewboston on YouTube

7. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
    Start with C. It'll give you a strong foundation for programming. Practically all programming languages are C like. I'd say all languages are just an extension or improved version of C. Once you are comfortable with the core language, you can learn any other without difficulties.

http://www.cprogramming.com
    Book: Progamming in C by Stephen G. Kochan Third Edition

8. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    I decided to go this route with an intro class then the iOS one. I may also take an intro class at school next year.

Thanks for all the help too people. I definitely know this will take awhile, but I would like to learn, and I have realistic expectations.

9. jogo

jogo Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    In German I would quote "Im Anfang war die Tat!", translated "In the beginning was the Deed!".

If you want to program Apps you should just start doing so. Do not overcomplicate this by hindering you with plain C/C++ or strange other languages. iOS-Apps are Objective-C and this is the easiest way to go.

10. Drenguin

Drenguin Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
  11. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Holy ****. I got an intro book and was starting to do some really basic coding and I am so lost XD. This is going to take me a few years to grasp this I can tell.

12. Cor

Cor Active Member

Jul 29, 2011
    I am currently using an sdk called the "app game kit". So far I have liked it pretty well, and it allows you to code in a BASIC language (which is fairly easy to use in my opinion). Once you get more advanced you can code in c++ as well. You may want to look into it. Whatever you decide stick with it and you will get the hang of it.

13. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    I actually got lost in the book I was doing, so I plan on watching all 30 of these videos on YouTube that basically hold your hand through Xcode. Then I'm doing those two Stanford courses, one on intro programming and one on ios. I hope those give me a foundation from which I can learn more because I know jack now. I don't have hopes of ever making anything like you guys do. I'm just a passionate fan of ios and would love to make something small to call my own someday! :)

14. antireality

antireality Member

Mar 11, 2011
    graphics driver monkey
    Kingston Upon Thames, UK
    Relax - it's a bit daunting to start with, but once you pick a few things up it has a kind of 'snowball effect' and you learn faster and faster. It's not like this all the time

15. FWSAaron

FWSAaron Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Lead Developer
    San Francisco, CA
    If you want to get into iOS game programming, www.raywenderlich.com is a great resource. But make sure you learn regular computer programming first. I'd recommend starting with C/C++ and working your way up to Objective-C. It can take years to get good, so don't get too frustrated if you're not writing top-100 apps overnight.

16. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Wow! This looks really good. I may consider this. Is it a video series or an e book?

And I have a somewhat naive question. How do you learn what the programming language actually means? I've been following along with a tutorial for a few hours now and I don't understand how you actually learn what the words mean you're typing.

17. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Also, is that website good that was listed above? It sounds like it, but I just don't want to spend $50 for something when I'm low on cash.

18. Stafaa

Stafaa Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I can't stress enough the importance of being familiar with your environment. Download Xcode and some code off a tutorial. Fiddle with it. Change it. Break it. Make it yours. Reading a book does nothing until you dick around a little.

19. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    #19 DPP13, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    I've only been in Xcode for 4 hours so far and I agree. I read a lot and tool literally jack from it. But once I starting doing things while watching video I started to understand (a small bit).

I messed around a bit more tonight. Not going to lie, I feel incredibly discouraged. I seem to not be able to pick up anything nor where to start. :(

20. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Guys, one more question. Would it be useful for me to learn Java? I know iOS apps are programmed in Objective C, but I literally no NO programming at all, and Stanford has an Intro Programming Class on iTunes U which I think could help me learn some terms before I go to the iOS development course.