Apple Keynote

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Sep 10, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It's starting soon, here we go.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Doesn't look like they're offering a live stream this time. Strange.

3. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #3 Gov, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    confirmed, iPhone 5C, Apple A6 chip.. bigger battery. Multi-colour design.. more LTE suppport, dual-Band

16GB - $99 32gb - $199, 2 year contract.

iPhone 5S confirmed - liquid metal, definite gold/champagne color! (Silver, Gold, Space grey) NO black.. due to scratching?

It's an A7 chip, 64 bit! The world's first 64 bit mobile phone!! (desktop architecture)!![​IMG]

Open GL/ES 3.0 for gaming...that's big[​IMG]

CPU:[​IMG]

Graphics look on par with xbox 360 & ps3.. playing Infinity Blade 3

M7 chip? A motion co-processor. Enables new generation of Health and Fitness apps.[​IMG]

Equal or greater than the iPhone 5 had." 10 hours of 3G talk time, 10 hours of LTE browsing, 10 hours of video:[​IMG]

It has a fingerprint sensor. Touch ID.!!! [​IMG]

Reads fingerprint at very detailed level...500 pi, scans sub-epidermal skin layers: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You just touch the Home button and it unlocks the phone. "It's a joy to do," says Phil. Certainly an improvement over passcodes!

The fingerprint info is stored inside the A7, deep in some chip sub-section. Not stored anywhere on Apple's servers,
    t's called a "Very high level of security." And there's a secure area as portion of the A7, "accessible only by the Touch ID." It's never stored online or backed up to the iCloud

price: (two-year contract) [​IMG]

You can order the 5C on the 13th this Friday. On the 20th, the you can purchase the 5C and the 5S.

iPhone 5C is $549 off-contract for 16GB version. Not mentioned at event...for good reason.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    64 bit A7 chip.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yup, IB3.

6. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Will it come to iPad 5?

7. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Not sure why they need a 64-bit CPU until they have more than 4GB memory, which hasn't happened yet.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yup, but it makes for a great feature to tick off.

9. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    How long until the first class-action "sleeping parent" fingerprint IAP-authorization lawsuit? :D

10. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I think it just allows more than 4GB. I think that's basically the main thing it does. The biggest difference is the ram limit.

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    on a side note... Hardcore muggers up and down the the globe will be out buying the biggest,sharpest knives/cleavers/hatchets they can find, because now when they steal your iPhone they're going to have to take your finger as well.

12. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    It'll be interesting to see how Apple handles the 64-bit exclusive apps and the resultant fragmentation of the app store offerings.

13. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Hopefully all non iOS 7 compatible apps will be removed at a certain date.

14. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Well that was underwhelming...

15. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    No iPod touch... Do you reckon they are trying to kill it off? iPhone 5(C)hild perhaps?

16. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #17 dclose, Sep 10, 2013
    Certainly the 5c was imho. From Apple's product pages: iPhone 5c is $549 and $649 (16GB/32GB) unlocked. iPhone 5s is $649, $749, and $849 (16GB/32GB/64GB) unlocked.

A $100 difference is pretty minimal, and given the enhancements in the 5s, I don't think it's worth saving $100 for last year's model in plastic.

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Not too interested in the new models, since my 5 is pretty new. Will more likely than not wait for the two-year contract to end before getting another one. IB3 and iOS 7 are going to be great though.

Not going to be very interested in the iPad 5 either, since I just got my iPad 4 half a year ago. Looking forward to the retina iPad Mini though, whenever that will finally be out.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    My question is whether the $99 price for the 5C is the upgrade/contract price or is that the flat price provided you get it through a mobile company?

The stock market was bashing the announcements partly for fear of low profit margins with the low price on the 5C.

I'm curious because if it's still an upgrade from, say a 4S, then $99 isn't a bad deal if you don't need to wait for upgrade eligiblity

19. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #20 Primoz, Sep 10, 2013
    Well, that was a rather disappointing and short representation. I wish they'd present the iOS7 more too. And all the magic is gone, since Apple can't handle the leaks as it used too, and since there's no Steve Jobs.

The iPhone 5C (C stands for Color/Cheap/China) is pretty awful though. It's certainly not designed for the western market... Who would even buy it? I'd rather get the iPhone 5, which has the same specs and you can also get it cheaper. I'm surprised by the price of this phone, because I suspected it was going to be100$ cheaper than it is now. The color combinations between phones and cases are just awful to me (not to even mention the case design!), but I guess it fits the Asian market. It's also a shame that there is a white 5C, since it won't be the "premium" iPhone color anymore. Only black and the new gold (which is a little cliché, but still pretty cool looking model) remain.

The iPhone 5S on the other hand, is wonderful though. Mainly because of the 64-bit A7 chip. That chip should keep the games running for at least 3 years. Touch ID is useless to me, because I never lock my phone. However I do lock certain apps, and I hope the touch ID can be used for specific apps (if iOS7 can't provide that, a Cydia app certainly will). The new button design looks very elegant too. There have been a lot of improvements on the camera as well, such as photo burst, flashlight color adaption, 4x slow motion etc. The camera alone will be fun to play with.

Not too fond of iOS7 design though. I'm glad that there is "the classic theme" available in cydia.

I'm definitely getting the 5S sooner or later, probably in 2-4 months. Either way, it will be a great upgrade from the 3Gs haha

I expected more from the keynote though.