Games which are repackaged and have become Successful.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by emc2r, Jun 27, 2012.

1. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    I want the list of games which have not been successful, and which have been repackaged and then become successful.

Basically more examples like Ninja Parachute repackaged as Cut the rope etc.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    lol, what... u serious?

did you even play your (extreemly bad) examples?

they have pretty much nothing in common. another pointless thread.

why not onstead of others searching for information you seek you do it yourself..

make a gdocs list.. make it public.. share your work, instead of asking others todo it for you..

pointless anyway..

3. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hey Ugly,
    They have. May be I haven't communicated properly. Play both the games, and look at the assets. A lot of have been common. eg, rope, fences etc.
    I am looking for games who have re-used their entities and assets, and repackaged them with a fresh gameplay with some power tweaks.

4. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  5. shariq

shariq Member

Feb 18, 2012
  6. emc2r

emc2r Active Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks shariq...
    That was what i was asking...
    Ugly... Do you get it now?

7. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    since the "example" is made by different developers i fail to see your "reskin" theorie.. thoose are copies, clones..

reskin means to keep the underlying code, tech, etc. and just to change the "textures" to something else..

angry birds is not a reskin of crush the castle

angry biard -> angry birds season is not a reskin either.

8. ruiznick

ruiznick Active Member

You pretty much want proof that better graphics sale? That should already be a given, instead focus on the polish of popular games. Graphics isn't always the X-factor, I see stick figure games or abstract games at the top of the list all the time.

The reason we see those highly saturated farmville graphics in most top games is because companies spend a lot on advertising or have publishers that push the game.

I think the "examples" you are going to see are just going to be clones and not necessarily repackaged/reskinned. I came across 1 example before, but I can't remember the blog, where he hired a graphics artist to redo his art and it looked soooo much better. But, we already know better graphics is always better than bad graphics.

9. shariq

shariq Member

Feb 18, 2012
  10. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i fully understand what a reskin is.. but "where's my perry" is not.. at least not in my book..

its new levels, new mechanics so more or less "where's my water 2" ..

faar from a simple reskin.. except you think angry birds, seasons & rio are just reskins..

or any other sequel..