Is ios your primary gaming device? How many others do you own?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Itchyant, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    i've played games all the way from the atari sytems and the sega master system. Through the snes, n64 and ps1 and 2, jumping across to an xbox, and not long after a 360. Two years ago (maybe less?) i was competely sold on ios as a gaming platform, and an ipad2 became my primary gaming device, which I generally play for 10 to 15 hours per week.

Since then though, the consistent ios and hatdware updates have turned me off ios as a long term platform. The thought of having games that used to work 6 months ago become no longer usable with an ios update (square enix and cave games are recent examples) is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I purchased a 3ds around 12 months ago and I love the fact I don't have to continually worry about os updates breaking games. And don't get me started on gamecentre...working on achievements that don't register...arrrgh! I've upgraded from and ipad2 to a new mini, but am playing less and less games on it. Besides an unhealthy hearthstone addiction (over one week now without a game, it may be broken), there are only a few ios games that I still pay regularly - 868hack, Hoplite, and all time favourite forget-me-not are fantastic, but now my serious gaming is on the 3ds - and I know I cam return to it in years to come.

Between the 3ds and the games I continue to play on ios, my 360 is colllecting dust...so, what other platforms does everybody else use?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This is my only gaming device

Granted 'some' games might have issues in the future but overall i've been alright. All the Cave games work for me and Square Enix i dont pay (ridiculous high prices).

On my phone i'm not jailbroken but have several emulators so i can play a whole host of classic retro games. Tons of comics/magazines/music/films, i've got a 128 gig device and love it.

I've got two kids so its difficult getting a bit of gaming in here and there, got so many favourite games on my phone i just cant get bored with it.

Been iOS gaming for about 4 years and theres only been a couple of apps i've had issues with. I only upgrade my OS if i have to, i'm not one of these people to install it the second it comes out (then surprise surprise some apps dont work !)

Been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and this is the best mobile platform i've ever played on

3. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Besides my iP5, the PS4 is my only gaming device I have atm.

Playing games since 1989 (Atari) and owned nearly every console and handheld at some point in my life, except PS2/PS3.

4. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Not only iOS, but also PS3, SNES, Atari...

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #5 Primoz, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    I've pretty much been a mobile and PC gamer since I can remember (I was born in 1995). Both of those keep switching for the "main gaming device" title.

Interestingly enough I never played any games on any consoles, not even handheld ones. I probably played about 10 hours on all consoles combined in my entire lifetime. The last time I touched an analog stick was about 7 years ago...

I currently have a desktop PC, a laptop (which pretty much replaced my desktop PC for good), the iPhone 5S and the Nokia N-Gage QD.

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    The trick is to get your kids into gaming #

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah to be fair in a few years time i'll probably be playing the latest consoles much more as my kids will want them.

My girls only 4 but when shes older i'll take her to this arcade i go to every saturday now and then. Has 100 arcade cabs and about 10 pinball, be interesting to see what she thinks of them !

8. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    We have two iPads, PC, wii, wiiu, 360, 3ds, ps3, psp and I also have my s4.

Other than my ipad and s4 the rest are my daughters but we all have access to them and I find myself playing on ios more than the others, it's just more convenient, I have so many PC games I want to play and my backlog on steam is worse than my backlog on ios but when I only have ten mins spare the ipad is the more convenient option.

The wii u is set up in living room at the moment as we are having a Mario kart 8 session at the weekend, in which my daughter will slaughter me. She uses the PC the most followed closely by the 360. But everyone and then she switches between them when a console exclusive title comes out. Her bedroom looks like some kind of CCTV hub with all the screens lol. I have to confess though I'm utterly jealous and like her room better than mine haha.

9. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I took my daughter to an arcade a few years ago and she was amazed, she loves actual pinball, she has several pinball games but says it's not the same as the real thing.

We wouldn't have as many consoles if it wasn't for my daughter, as much as I'd want them myself I'd feel guilty spending the money on myself, which is another reason I love ios, the device itself can be expensive but you can get so many more games for the price of one on the other platforms.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    PC and Laptop only strictly League of Legends... Everything else, ipad air. I also have an ipod touch4, an iphone 4S, an ipad mini 1, and an ipad 3, but i've abandoned those, and gave my ipad 3 to my father-in-law.

11. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Currently have a PS3, XBOX 360, PC, PSP and this 5C. Planning on buying a Vita and a decent android tablet for emulation.

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just iOS (for almost exactly the same reasons as psj) although I bought a Vita for TxK, which looks like Atari may make Minter take down. Maybe I'm the curse of Jeff Minter.
    My boy plays Steam stuff now too but I find that all far too complicated.

13. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Is his name the same as Nintendo and here? I'll add him to my daughters friend list and I'll prob have a few codes he can have too.

14. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    It is. He would love if you added him. The games he plays are beyond my comprehension.

15. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I am fascinated by how far video games have come.

I grew up playing arcade games in the 80's. Then there was the ole green screen Apple IIe which had Chopper Command on it. Man I played the hell out of that game. So I was an early PC gamer.

There were earlier consoles, but the first in our household was the Atari 2600, which I think was pretty much the first big time must have gaming console. I kept up with console gaming until the SNES, and then nothing until I bought a Dreamcast. For awhile, the console gaming scene hit a major slump for me and PC games was where it was at.

Oddly, with the Dreamcast, and then a PS2, and then an XBox, I pretty much abandoned PC gaming for awhile.

Right now I DON'T own an XBox One or PS4. Neither seem that interesting to me. In fact, I spend more time on my IPad then I do my PC, XBox 360, or PS3. We also have a Wii that makes a great modern art piece.

My sons also play primarily on their iPads though they get more use out of the XBox 360 than I do. When I visited my in-laws, almost every kid had a Kindle Fire, an iPad, or some sort of other Android tablet.

Mobile gaming has become THE platform of the next generation

16. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Well, my favourite is my iPad mini 2 - obviously! I also have an iPod touch 4, an Xbox 360 and my PC - gotta love a bit of steam haven't ya'! I ain't got kids, infact I AM a kid! If I did, that'd be pretty weird....
    On my iPad mini 2 I love Leo's fortune, on my Xbox, I love skyrim and on my pc, I love this sex game called how do you it - just kidding that game is awful! On pc I just play whatever!

17. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    iOS is my primary platform. Have an iPad Air (32 GB) and iPhone 6 (16 GB). Also play quite a bit of WOW (1-3 hours a day) on my pc. Have a PS3 as well with quite a few good games that I rarely play. My PS3 is basically my blu ray player.

18. QuertzPerLiter

Mar 19, 2015
    I have an iPad Air 2, PC, Xbox 360, 3DS, and a WiiU. I usually play the iPad the most though with a SteelStatusXL. For some reason playing consoles titles on a tablet makes it Much more interesting.

19. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I've been gaming since the beginning! 1972 to be exact! I've owned every single console ever made except the Neo Geo and I forgot what it's called-- you put this ugly monstrosity on the table and everything was red. Also, have had every handheld, some a few times! Never been a PC gamer much, though. Right now, I have an Xbox One, though it doesn't get a lot of use. Most all my gaming is here on the IOS and Android. Wouldn't have it any other way! IMO, the best gaming of my life is happening NOW believe it or not!

20. cthulhufan

cthulhufan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2013
    Systems Engineer
    Missouri
    My mini (first gen) is great. I love it. Great handheld system. I was going to say I am a PC gamer first and foremost but, you know what, I am a gamer first and foremost. No computer, then let's play on a tablet. No tablet? Let's play DS. No DS? Then let's play MtG. No MtG? Then let's roll dice or play some D&D.

I am platform agnostic, I just want to have fun ;)