Online multiplayer racing game looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by psionic, Jan 25, 2010.

1. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Hi Everyone!

I'm sure you can guess as to the nature of this upcoming game, which is footracing + tactical elements, and I'm wondering how people here feel about subscriptions?

Simply put, we can't sell a game for $1.99 and have online multiplayer w/ persistent stats available.

I understand dinosmash has some of this type but theirs doesn't have any equipment, player rankings, etc. that we'd like to include. We want to have things like worldwide rally modes and lots of other neat things that require a bunch of computation and bandwidth.

So we were thinking of a model like so:

$0.99 gets you the game, and 2 days of online play from when you first log in.

$0.99 would get you a subscription for a week

$1.99 would get you a subscription for a month

$19.99 would get you a lifetime subscription

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris. <Sleek Games>

2. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

#2 jak56, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
    im very muh against subscription for apps. reeks of eliminate

i love the game though. i'd say just concentrate on bluetooth multiplayer, then add online when you have a larger player amount

3. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    If you do subscriptions, it has to be a VERY good game, or no one will want to play :/

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Well I'm absolutely certain a bunch of idiots wont read the description, buy the game, realize that you need to pay for online, then leave a bad review.
    This sounds kind of similar to eliminate's powercell for money system. Everyone knows how that worked out.

Here's my opinion from a financial and realistic standpoint (Or at least I hope it is). Don't invest in online multiplayer unless your games absolutely takes off and can support the servers from the sales from JUST the game alone. Otherwise you'll likely lose more than you make overtime. Hoping to attract enough willing-to-pay customers to pay for the servers probably wont work out with this price scheme. But I don't know the exact price for the servers nor how many will be online at a time. I heard it was $700 for 1,000 players a month.

Just my .02 dollars so don't accept any of that as fact.

5. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I don't think subscriptions will make a great success, unless it's visually appealing. Also, if it has great gameplay, and a great story to go with it

6. jxjja

jxjja Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Yeah, same here. I dont think that subscriptions will work because there are a lot of haters out there, so you will get 2 star reviews of a buch of ten year old kids complainig about your game, so I think that it´s not worth it. If not then make the game 4 bucks instead of 3 and you will win more :). And maybe in a future update you can add multiplayer when you have a bigger budget

7. psionic

Dec 22, 2008
    hmm thanks for the feedback so far.

i think you guys misunderstand the eliminate "experiment" though.. i'm pretty sure it actually did pretty well for itself.

but all in all you're basically saying that unless it's a great multiplayer game, don't release it?

too me, that's a little bit of the problem.. how can you even begin to guess if it's a great multiplayer game without it being released in the first place?

though the sales of our running with scissors single player game have been low (probably due to the strange concept) all of the actual feedback we've been getting is overwhelmingly positive.

I'd like to have an actual discussion here about how to do this sort of thing. Can anyone give some suggestions besides "it needs to be a great multiplayer game before it's released as a multiplayer game"?

Mainly the issues i see are such:

1) the cost of entry for games on this platform is too low to support online multiplayer from indy studios:

You have, in multiplayer online games, call of duty: zombies. That's got unlimited online multiplayer. For $10.00.

No-one's going to pay $10.00 for an indie studio's game.

2) bluetooth multi is not the same as online multi:

One is a local only option, with no ability for persistent stats or game object storage. Lag is basically zero, generally you can communicate well enough since you've got to be in the same basic room as the other player.

Also, bluetooth = 2 peoples.

So you can't really see what an online version would do w/ a bluetooth demo.

@da_shiz_wiz_19:

you're probably thinking of the neutron service, which is about $700 for 1000 players. considering the pricepoint, you couldn't sell the game @ $0.99 at ALL ($0.99 * 0.7 = your exact paying out for just the servers) the lower end of that service is even worse for $/# of players

Piracy is also a concern.. if you don't have a subscription model (ie actual verified transactions w/ apples servers) you can't be sure that people aren't just using hacked copies that send bogus "sure i've paid" data to the servers.

At such a low margin for $$ charged to server cost, any piracy at all will completely break the sales model.

8. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    Price the game at $5 and make the lifetime subscription like 10$, so people will read the description before buying and then won't bitch about having to subscribe

9. ShadowsFall

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Can you message me about this? I've got a great idea to eliminate part of piracy and make great sales (hopefully)

10. Fata1

Fata1 Member

Jan 25, 2010
    First of all, is the online, ONLINE? Or you play with their "ghosts", cuz if its ghost then it's only about 1.99, but if its actually ONLINE, you gotta say the maximum amount of people in one round first.

11. psionic

Dec 22, 2008

fully online.

there's a couple options for # of players, we've found that 6 is doable on the latest devices and 4 is doable on the earlier gen models.

12. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Way to overpriced. $0.99 for a month is a lot better.

13. psionic

Dec 22, 2008
    What would you pay for an unlimited subscription?

14. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt pay for online unfortunately

15. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
    I really like online multiplayer, racing against opponents sounds good. I purchased asphalt4&5,ferrari gt, real racing and nfs shift. Asphalt5 & real racing are the only ones that have online multiplayer.

Asphalt5 mp suxx because of a lot of cheaters.
    Real racing is just time trial with no opponents...suxx also

and the nbest game nfs shift has no mp mode :(

i would also pay additional $$$- bill for mp fir nfs shift, 1€/month, 2€/month or 10€ lifetime....though i allready payed 8€ for the game.

Hope you get the point. The quality of the game decides what you can charge. Rent one server, each uidid can test 3-4 online matches to give us a overview about it.

16. ShadowsFall

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Is it 3D/2D?

17. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I'd definetley need to see some video before I can determine how much I would pay to play. I would also be worried about a lack of other players online due to fact subscriptions scare a lot of people away from games

18. psionic

Dec 22, 2008
    a mix... we use 3d for things like perspective w/ 2d sprites, some of which (like the player characters) are pre-rendered in 3d. you can check out the videos of the single player version on our site www.runningwithscissorsgame.com

19. slick_graal

slick_graal Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Mars
    I personally love racing games but no subscriptions. I would say sell for $5.99-$9.99 for the entire app. You can also do the style of Eliminate Pro (I don't like this style but it is better than a subscription) where every 3 hours or so you get 4 races to get money to upgrade your car

20. slick_graal

slick_graal Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Mars
    I have searched everywhere for how those cheater on asphalt 5 cheat. I think they have beat the game and have full upgrades on the fastest cars.