Xcode 7 "Free provisioning" & open source emulators

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Non Kay, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Non Kay

Non Kay New Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Just learned that Xcode 7 has "Free provisioning", which means if one doesn't join the developer program, one can still develop & run apps on his own devices. Look like a prefect solution for SNES4iOS and other emulators (or any app else) given source codes available. Discuss.

2. Non Kay

Non Kay New Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Maybe I gonna be more specific. The followings are based on my memory,

Sometime ago, a kid developed a GBA emulator "GBA4iOS"; he didn't intend to make money from the app, and just gave it away. he had a very creative way to distribute it, and it worked, and then Apple fixed the loophole and banned the distribution. Long story short, the kid leaves the source code on git-hub and anyone joined the iOS developer program can grab the project, compiles it and runs it on his device.

It is not a very good solution 'cause most of us are non-developer and the $100 annual fee is too steath for running a GBA emulator. Enters "Free provisioning", now anyone compile and runs it on his iPhone.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you ask in a public developer forum if the next Xcode (which information is under NDA) would be able to allow "anyone" to compile an emulator so you can play your illegal game roms?

the perfect place indeed!

4. RobertDS

RobertDS New Member

Jul 22, 2013

Xcode 7 is NOT under NDA and can be download with a free developer account.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #5 psj3809, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    All ios websites are talking about this. With ios9 it 'seems' like you'll be able to compile your own apps (don't need a $100 dev fee)

Sounds too good to be true. I don't know how easy it is to do it but potentially you could install a lot of emulators

As for roms it's a huge grey area. Do I feel guilty playing a 30 year old zx spectrum game ? Not one bit. If I can buy it for ios I would but I can't. Gameboy games I can't get for my device. Again I don't feel guilty playing 25 year old super Mario land on the gameboy emulator. Surely you have MAME ?