Universal An Endless Runner and a Word Game have a baby...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by J. A. Whye, Jul 27, 2015.

1. J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Game Dev (tools & tutorials)
    Alaska
    I'm waiting for the beta version to be reviewed so I can TestFlight it out to folks, but Word Jumper is really close to being done. It's a simple game where you create words from letter tiles, which creates platforms to keep the runner guy from falling to his doom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not my first game, but it's my first game using Unity -- I've only used Corona SDK before this. (And honestly, Corona would have handled this game admirably, but due to an upcoming school project I needed to get up to speed with Unity.)

Jay

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
  3. locomoco

locomoco Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    You had me with the title of your post. :) Definitely intrigued and cannot wait to see gameplay videos and more details.

4. MBowman

MBowman Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Always happy to see experimentation in the app market. Cant wait to see the implementation of this crossbreed :D

5. J. A. Whye

Sep 26, 2010
    Alaska
    Almost ready to TestFlight

Thanks for the encouragement!

It's In Review right now (I hate that TestFlight now requires apps to be reviewed before they can be tested. Argh!) so should be available soon. I'm hooking up social/sharing today and also tweaking how "Swap Tokens" can be earned. You use those for when you get a rack of tiles that suck and the guy is about to fall to his death. All your letters get swapped for new ones (yes, which could also suck) and two bonus platforms appear to give you at least a few seconds with the new letters to find something. (The game isn't completely heartless!)

I wasn't planning on releasing for Android (because I hate Google, and so, by extension, anything they do) but I tried a build last night and it worked without extra tweaking, so... Trying to use logic (It's just business! You have bills to pay!) to overcome my distaste for an inferior platform. We'll see how that shakes out.

Jay

6. J. A. Whye

Sep 26, 2010
    Alaska
    I always thought the title Word Jumper was not quite right so I changed the name to, "An Endless Runner And A Word Game Had A Baby..." which, while harder to write and say, is more descriptive.

Here's a quick look at playing the game:

7. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Looks interesting!