Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    If you played mc4 on newest devices, it's a joke how apple gaming has become

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    How would touch controls "actually make graphics lower"?

3. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    To make it short: touch screen requires lots of optimization. More complex the control gets, more power it requires for the device.

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

With todays devices I'm quite sure the processing power required to controll a touchscreen really won't have that big of an impact on the devices performance.

Also, I kind of feel like buying something, preferrably somethign on the Vita for up to 20 euros. I was thinking about getting Unit 13 (costs 20 euros) or Oddworld (13 euros), any recommendations?

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Uhhh...no.

6. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    It's all depends on your personal taste. If you like online co-op shooter by that. Or if you want kind of adventure fps, go with odd world

7. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    Well then I was completly wrong and graphics can't get any far better right?

8. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I don't think the iPad 4 will reach the same level the Vita might. A few reasons-
    1. It has to compensate for its resolution with more power, and the Vita has a significantly lower resolution, and isn't much weaker (stronger in some areas).
    2. Developers will have a lot of time to optimize games for the Vita in order to achieve great results, but with the iPad, developers only really have a year until the new one comes out, so we likely won't see the full potential of the iPad 4.
    3. Budget is also an issue- the bigger the budget an iOS game has, the more risky, and less likely it is to make any money back (which is true of any game on any platform, but iOS is more risky, as the market is pretty much dominated by a handful of developers/publishers with random breakout hits, and pricing is low for the average game).

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well we'll see how killzone's multiplayer compares to MC4's.

I disagree with a few of your points but some, especially the budget one, are valid.

10. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    1. Sure I agree with that statement
    2. Nope minor vita titles are doesn't have much times to optimize and shits.
    iOS devices uses same coding and everything. Only differences is the chips inside. They don't change the programming or anything else around. It's like a pc. So they are using full potential (obviously not 100% but alot). Because iOS devices gets really hot when you play so-called-high graphic games on them.
    3. No... Not at all. To publish app you need like $100 contract and that's it. Lets say about Gameloft's game. They spend lots of money into development. And takes their time. But they are greedy. Devs see iOS games as quick cash. For ex: gearbox who put cheap borderland game on AppStore. Budget is not an issue at all when it comes to big company like Gameloft, rock star, ea, epic. It's them thinking "oh, we think this looks good enough. So lets not waste any money from this point and put this on AppStore and make quick cash"
    And literally most games on iOS have this iap BS. Sure people say its not a big deal doesn't harm the gameplay, well I find more than half of time it does.

11. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    And one thing to add. iOS gaming is becoming ridiculous. Apple is getting greedier than ever. Putting new device every year. Seriously, $500 for new tablet every year is damn expensive. And because they change up chips so fast after 2 years whatever device you have becomes really old. Ex: iPhone 4S
    And now apple is making 128 gb iPad... It's going up to like $800, that's insane. I think apple needs to burn down. People are just spending money on their products like no-brainer. I do love apple products but its getting worse every year.

12. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    A new device every year.. that's how it's been for years. Not sure how that makes them 'greedier than ever'. And no one is forcing you to buy a new device every year, nor is anyone forcing you to buy the 128gb iPad. However, if they do plan to release devices like they did with the last two iPads (within a few months apart), then I agree. Though, I'm just not going to wish ill will against them. I'm just not going to buy their devices. Plus, it's not like I buy their products every time they release something new. I don't really see any reason to get angry about it.

13. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    As a gaming side*

14. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    2. While it is true that all the hardware upgrades iOS devices see are somewhat based on similar architecture as previous models, the boost in power allows developers to get things to work easier without having to heavily optimize it for the platform. Overheating is not indicative of fully utilizing hardware- that may even suggest that the game is poorly optimized for the device, depending on what is going on. Didn't really understand the Vita bit at the top. Your comparison to the PC was pretty weak, because there are so many examples of poorly optimized PC game engines (and plenty examples of mods to the coding to make the engine run even better). PC based consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 also kind of disprove this point, because you'd have a hard time finding a game that looks as good as the best looking game available on a PC of equivalent specs.

3. You're right- some big companies do see iOS as a way to make quick cash. But, they normally don't go and develop a multimillion dollar game for the platform. They might sink thousands into development, but not huge shit-tons of money into them (and even then, some big companies have admitted that the gains were less than desirable compared to what they have the potential to make on console/PC games). They have a hard enough time making money back even on full console titles- and a lot of those sell better than the iOS spin-offs, while being sold at a higher price. If you develop an iOS game with a budget of 15 million, with a selling point of $5, you have to get 3 million sales just to break even. The only reason I brought up this point in the first place, is the better the graphics are, the more expensive the game is to develop.

15. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    Back to playstation news. Sony has released new teaser video got feb 20. I think we will hear more about ps3/vita games

16. Most likely, but I'm willing to bet that the big news that we'll be hearing from the PlayStation Meeting 2013 is the announcement of a new hardware... probably PS4/Orbis.

17. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    I don't think I really need ps4... Well, if it could read ps3 disc, I would buy it right away

18. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    @KillzoneDotCom: @NeoTechni "Demo" in this case refers to an incomplete, early build of the game created for demonstration purposes, not a downloadable demo.
    Sounds like final product could be even better

19. Isn't that obvious? Guerrilla Cambridge still has over 7 months to polish up the game, after all.

20. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

So after two Years of crap Gaming except a few Gems we are finally starting to get the Games we should have got from Day One. Still don`t know what to think about Sony in that case after such a long, long time.