Targeting iOS4

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by khangtoh, Jul 9, 2010.

1. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #1 khangtoh, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    Hey developers,

Just wanted to get some feedback on anyone submitting apps just targeting iOS4? We did that and Trash of the World is getting featured as New and Noteworthy but the download numbers were not super fantastics.

So I'm just thinking many users haven't upgraded to iOS4 so they can't download. Is that a fair assessment?

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Yes, I know a number of people who haven't upgraded to 4.0. So yes, it would be fair to say that iOS 4.0 is not fully adopted by an overwhelming percentage of the iDevice community.

I have a question that is related to that and I hope that someone can help me out :) So I have the 4.0., 3.2. 3.0, and 2.2.1 SDKs, but on 4.0, I only have the option of baseSDKing (improper term?) 3.2 (which is what the iPad runs) or 4.0. I want to base target 3.0 (if I can), is there any way that I can do that?

Thanks guys!

3. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    You want your Base SDK set to 4.0, and your Deployment Target set to whatever you want your minimum OS to be.

4. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Thanks Little White Bear! I have been using the iPhone SDK for almost 2 years now, but I never knew that. Sometimes you just have to laugh ;)

5. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Don't worry, you're not crazy. They only started making that the standard way of doing things a couple months ago. :)

6. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Even though Apple is now happy with me for using the iOS 4 SDK, Xcode is screaming bloody murder at OpenFeint. Ho hum, here we go again.

7. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    You need a newer OpenFeint SDK. It wasn't 4.0 compatible a month ago.

8. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    And 3.0 is the new "minimum". If you set lower than that, Apple will reject your App.

9. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I just downloaded the latest OpenFeint SDK and put it in there (before I posted on this thread). All of my frameworks are red (which I assume means that they are only there in name), but some of the basic frameworks (like UIKit) aren't in the list when I select Add/Existing Frameworks.

Ok, good to know :)

10. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Sounds like your installation of the SDK may be wacky. I can see UIKit in the add frameworks list. In mine, I have a couple red ones, but if I hover over them, they say they are from the 3.0 SDK instead of 4.0.

Try making a sample project, and see if you can get it to work before trying to get OF to work.

11. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Yes, it works without OF, only a few errors where I am referring to OF though. FYI, I am using Unity 3D, although it isn't a huge difference when it comes to OpenFeint, still the same general idea.

12. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I had that after I upgraded to 4.0 - however they just went back to normal after hitting compile, try that before reinstalling or anything drastic.

13. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    What do you mean by compile? Build? You are talking about in Xcode, right? I tried building/debugging it, that's how I know that I have the errors ;)