Behind the scenes of the TouchArcade Game of the Year and Best Games Posts

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Eli, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We always get lots of flak from people for "forgetting" or "missing" games in these best of posts, so I figured we'd post our huge list of what we considered and discussed for our GOTY and "Best Of" posts.

An insane list, for sure. We argued over all this for what felt like forever to come up with the final 25 and the GOTY. When you look at this master list, it's hard to really say we missed anything substantial... But, a "Best of" post with hundreds of games sort of loses its punch, which is why we stuck with the 25 this year- Figuring less is more.

I'm glad it's all over. :)

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#2 Bronxsta, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    Nice list

My only gripe with that free list is that so many games are IAP-heavy/unfairly freemium, while there are free games like Deadly Bullet who go unrecognized. Nice to see Smash Bandit on the list though, especially now that they removed the timers

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Will you guys ever come up with GOTY on the podcast again? That was really interesting and fun to listen to last year.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The idea behind that was specifically free to play-ass free to play games, and not games that simply were just free or running a freebie sale. I hate timers just as much as the next guy, but it's hard to argue how big free to play has gotten this year so it felt worth a special nod. *shrug*

Also, from the looks of it, having "free iPhone games" in a headline is like your SEO dreams come true.

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#5 Bronxsta, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    Yeah, I could imagine.

Also might I suggest something? Maybe for next year? IMO, the majority of the Best of lists here and other sites pretty much highlight the most popular and well-known games of the year, while recognition for smaller indie titles on the App Store is confined to the forums, not a place more causal browsers will look. So maybe next year, alongside the free list and the overall list, there could be a list of the best hidden gems/under-the-radar games of the year

6. Nice list, thanks.

I do think Ridge Racer Splitstream deserves to be on the driving list. It is really fun, just like Asphalt 8.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If you listen to the latest TA podcast, you'll know why Ridge Racer isn't on this list.

8. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Was kinda disappointed to not see KD on the article.
    Oh well.

9. Why, cause framerates could be improved?

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's certainly tough with so many great games. I was a little surprised to see Ridiculous Fishing win -- not that it isn't a great game -- just isn't in my top 10. And, before any flaming begins, THAT'S ALRIGHT and it along with many other games I would have been fine with. It was also Apple's GoTY.

I have a difficult time narrowing down the games to even nominate. It was a great year indeed. The only thing that will help with our GoTY forum threads (overall and indie, which will see if the latter was even needed) is that when it comes to voting our choices will be narrowed for us. Choosing from 10 games is a lot easier than choosing from hundreds. :)

11. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    Whether a game won an award or not, this is a huge list of games most people should own. An easy reference list of how big iOS has become, and how far along mobile game design has come.

12. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Definitely. The fact that I could probably add another sixty to it and so could many others just shows how seriously iOS should be taken as a gaming platform. I'm a hardcore console gamer (in terms of number of games I've finished, not the awful elitist meaning that seems to get thrown about) but I've found that I've moved away from them and spend about 60% of my gaming time on iOS.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Didn't look through the list thoroughly but the only one I was surprised to see on there was the new Leisure Suit Larry. I thought that got pretty dismal reviews.

14. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I guess I should say a huge list, filled mostly with games most people should own. I personally don't own all the games on the list, and I'd say Leisure Suit Larry is one I'll skip.