A comment on the Fright Fight article got me thinking....

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MrAlbum, Jun 28, 2013.

1. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    What iOS-specific characters would make for a good Super Smash Bros.-styled arena fighter, if it was possible to make one? Out of curiosity's sake, I came up with a small list of potential candidates, and would like help in filling out the list, just for fun and giggles.

From that simple question, I knew I needed to narrow the possibilities somehow. So I came up with the following guidelines:

1.) No characters from ports. As cool as it would be to pit Sonic against Velocispider, that would defeat the purpose of "iOS-specific characters". Thus, characters from the Final Fantasy games/TWEWY/TMNT/Pitfall!/etc.... are not gonna work.

2.) No player-customizable characters, unless there is a good reason. If a character can have their abilities/capabilities tweaked to a player's individual desires, then that character would lack a skill set that makes them unique. This means that such a character would not live up to player expectations. So no playing as the hero of Aralon or Ravensword or the Knight from WazHack or the main character of Infinity Blade, just as a couple of examples.

There are exceptions to this guideline. For example, Horn would make a good candidate even though he can be seriously tricked out with a wide variety of gear and abilities, because Horn has a basic set of abilities that he relies on no matter how you customize him: slashing with his sword, dodging, zip lining, arrows, you get the point. The same would go for the likes of Barry Steakfries, or The Fisherman from Ridiculous Fishing. They have a core set of abilities that every player will effectively use at least once.

This also means that this guideline is the one that is broken the most. :/

3.) No non-combat characters as core fighters. This should be self-explanatory; after all, if, say, the Bird from Tiny Wings has no offensive abilities, then how is he gonna defend himself against The Blockman from The Blocks Cometh? That doesn't mean that they cannot make cameos, though... like, say, a Final Smash-alike ability that turns the level into a level of Angry Birds, and the player who activated it gets to fling the Angry Birds at the other players for a few seconds....

I would personally disqualify the Angry Birds from the core roster, though, because they can't do much unless someone else like the player slingshots them toward a target, which means they would have little chance in a one-on-one fight on the ground.

4.) Characters must have some kind of official name, and have a personality that distinguishes themselves. The little dude from 10000000 has no defining attributes or personality; he's a blank slate that the player projects themselves onto. Temple Azure from Spiral Episode 1, however, has a name and a clearly-defined personality, which helps him stand out from the other characters in the game. Thus, Temple Azure would be a candidate, while the dude from 10000000 would not.

(Kinda) 5.) Be careful with games that have multiple main characters, like Maximus or Combo Crew. If there are a lot of distinct characters with differing playstyles independent of character customization within a single game, then they could swarm the roster and overwhelm other characters from less character-numerous properties. I personally avoided dealing with this issue for the most part, but I do think the Maximus characters would make a good fit for the core roster.... it's something to think about.

SOOOO, with all that ballyhoo out of the way, these are what I came up with:

Barry Steakfries, from Monster Dash/Jetpack Joyride/Age of Zombies.
    The Agent, from League of Evil.
    The Pygmy, from Pocket God.
    The Fisherman, from Ridiculous Fishing.
    Nina, from Supermagical.
    Hardik, from Towelfight 2: The Monocle of Destiny.
    The Scythian, from Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP.
    John Gore, from Minigore.
    Hook Champ, from Hook Champ.
    Lexi, from Mage Gauntlet.
    Velocispider, from Velocispider.
    The Bandit, from Beat Sneak Bandit.
    Whoever the main character is of Zombieville USA.
    Wimp, from Wimp: Who Stole My Pants?
    Belle, from Project 83113.
    The Spellsword, from Spellsword.
    Cornelius, from Don't Run with a Plasma Sword.
    Graham, from Storm the Train.
    The Skateboarding Chick, from Cool Pizza.
    Hector, from Hector: Badge of Carnage.
    Max, from Apocalypse Max.
    Horn, from Horn.
    Gizzard, from Escape from Age of Monsters.
    The Robot, from EPOCH.
    Blockman, from The Blocks Cometh.
    Ayden, from Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden.

This is nowhere near complete, mainly due to the fact that I ignored the villains, which is a big no-no. And, this ignores the possibility of Gameloft throwing together a bunch of their own characters and making an arena-spectacle fighter of their own. Come to think of it, WHY HAVEN'T THEY MADE SOMETHING LIKE THAT YET?!

*fume*

Ah well, discuss this folks!

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

2. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Isn't Ridiculous Fishing a remake of a PC game?
    The problem of making a game like this with iOS characters is that characters wouldn't have the same... "style". Think of Snake in SSBB. While it's a cool character, it didn't match the style of the game.
    But anyway, I think that Tempus from Spiral, Baron from Bike Baron, John Slade from Shadowgun and Siris/Ausar from Infinity Blade would suit a SSB-like game.

3. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Not too keen on Siris/Ausar, because his basic attacks change with whichever weapons you wield. Dual Wield is very different from Sword and Shield, for example. And don't even get me started on the magic rings and whatnot :p Unless he's designed in such a way that he can effectively switch weapons in the middle of a fight and only uses magic as his Final Smash-alike ability, probably at the cost of speed and maneuverability... maybe.

I guess I can see him working after all.

.... Huh. Must have missed that fact.

*facepalm* Is his name really Tempus, not Temple? ARGH, me and my schizoid memory recall DX

Is Baron a combat character? Haven't played the game myself so I wouldn't know.

Oooh, John Slade's a good choice. Nice catch ;)

As to the change in "style", I can see where you come from. I think the best solution would be to make the game multiplayer-focused like the original, with the single-player tacked on. Thus, the player doesn't have to worry about who "fits" in the world/universe/etc.... All the player would need to worry about would be if the character was fun to play.

At least, that's a theory. :/

4. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Jason , from gangstar Vegas
    The golfer from stickman golf
    The scientist from league of evil?
    Mikey shorts
    The Other Brothers characters.

5. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    #5 Alister, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    This is a very interesting idea!!How bout the indies do a game jam about this?!?!

My character wishes so far:
    The characters from Maximus
    The main character from quadropus rampage(forgot his name)
    Cordy
    The punch quest guy

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #6 Primoz, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    I shall choose my mutant alpaca.

Second choice would be Enviro-Bear.

7. mejjos

mejjos Cancelled

Jul 26, 2012
    I saw this picture on twitter awhile back, seems fitting to share it here :)

Attached Files:

8. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    More Enviro-Bear

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Well the obvious start is one of the Angry Birds. I'm thinking the red one!

And then Om Nom from Cut the Rope.

The King from Infinity Blade.

The Rain Droplet from the Quell Series.

Doodle Jump Guy/Gal!

One of the Chaos Rings characters.

Pygmy #4 from Pocket God.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Pretty much just Enviro-Bear on his own. Maybe in a car. Collecting food for the winter.

11. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Basically instead of a SSB game, just a Enviro-Bear 2013 sequel.

I vote Swampy from Where's my Water and someone from Super Crate Box

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Siris should use the equipment he had at the start of IB 2. And yes, magic rings should be used for specials.
    Baron isn't a combat character, but since Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer and other chars from SSB aren't action characters, and Baron is a very known character in iOS, well, he should match the... "game".

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #13 Exact-Psience, Jun 29, 2013
    Cool topic!

My picks:

Serenity from Demons' Score - Scantily clad warrior who changes and VOICE costume in almost EVERY MOVE. Wields a sword, and an automatic pistol.

Kid from Lost Winds - Plays like a mage and uses wind to his attacks, as well as for his mobility. Can Triple jump. :D

Guy from Saturday Morning RPG - See his attacks in his game? He brings it into this game. He is made for this game.

The Commander in Anomaly Warzone Earth - His moves are similar to Rolento's (from street fighter) flips and maneuvers, but his attack animations are pressing buttons in his remote, calling on his armwatch/phone and setting markers on the ground. After these animations, rockets, machine gun fire, lasers, and even plasma shields are summoned in front of him in different ranges.

The Stone from Indiana Stone - He rolls on you. He squishes you on walls and the ground. He grows bigger. And he can call on other Rolling avatars from his game. IT... I mean IT...

The Cell from Perfect Cell - Exactly as he does in his game.

The huge green Block from Dream of Pixels - Drops blocks on enemies Tetris -style. Grows stronger as the fight goes on as his blocks drop faster later on.

Crazy Dave from Plants Vs Zombies - Defensive type of character. Moves around leaving pots. After a few seconds, different types of plants grow and attack enemies. Plants have duration, and have HP so they can be attacked.

Pizza from Pizza Vs Skeletons - Kinda similar to The Stone from Indiana Stone, but waaaay bigger, high defense, and leaves cheese trails to slow enemies. On the other hand, he is made of dairy, meat and pastry, so he cant dish out much damage.

Devil Guy from Blood Roofs - Very mobile with high jumps, multi jumps and a natural runner speed. But HAS NO NORMAL ATTACKS. Random Females-in-distress appear on the map screaming "HAAAALP!!!" and the Devil Guy has to pick them up to gain their attacks. Each chick has a duration before she says "Thank you!" and the Devil Guy loses attacks again, until he picks up another femme.

14. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    #14 chimpman252, Jun 29, 2013
    I think that instead of Master Hand from Super Smash Brothers, the final boss should be Siri on a giant evil iPhone

Also, to add to the list:
    Blockman from The Blocks Cometh
    The Leaper (laser hand thing) from LOE
    The Duck from Gunman Clive (or ya know, Clive himself. But the duck would be more fun)

We should really get the Mikey Shorts team working on this...

15. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    I also vote for Lili,a character and game found nowhere else but the AppStore..:D

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Max from the Devil's Attorney

Rolando from Rolando

The Bird from Tiny Wings

The Hero from Swordigo

The Crab from Crabitron

The Hero from Sworcery

The Cat from Techno Kitten

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Heaps of great characters listed already. A few more
    Crazy Bill
    Agent - LOE
    Skater Chick - Cool Pizza
    Pixelly dragon thing - Pix'n'Rush
    The Survivor - Zombieville

18. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Ok iOS devs this is a gold mine waiting to happen..Someone please make this a reality,hehe..:D

Added to my list:
    The main character from Nihilumbra
    The bear from penumbear
    The first character/skin from temple run.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    His name's Guy Dangerous. ;)

20. Alister

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Hahaha,thanks..I can't believe that I forgot his name..:D