Coming Soon, Project: MiniGame Madness inspired by: Wario Ware

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by butterbean21, Jan 9, 2010.

1. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    #1 butterbean21, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm an indy dev and solo developer of this game with the help of a handful or graphics artists.

This game was inspired by the Wario Ware series, one of my favorite games since the GBA release.

I wanted to create fast, and fun mini games where you rely on your intuition or hunch to get through each puzzle

You will drag and drop, touch, tilt, and shoot your way through 55 levels, and I will be adding more and more levels with future updates.

Here are a few screenshots, and expect this game to hit the App store by the end of next week! The game will be under a different name, I'm just calling it Project: MiniGame Madness until it releases. I will post an update here, and a link to new iphone releases when it debuts end of next week!

I will also take suggestions for updates, and be adding more and more games (I'm trying to keep this under the 10mb limit which can be hard for a game like this with the various graphics, and puzzles)

2. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    hmm.. good idea, but the graphics aren't similar. Some looks good,
    but other seems to be made with paint.

I'm not judging the beauty of the artworks, but the graphics of your game looks like different artworks, pasted together.

3. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    #3 Chapperz :D, Jan 9, 2010
    sorry but those graphics look pretty bad IMO
    EDIT: different screenies now don't look as bad.

4. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

that's not necesarily wrong! I have warioware touched fo the ds and all the minigames have a different art style to hem! Though it is true he graphics aren't that impressive...

5. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    Maybe your game is good, but you'll probably lose lots of potential buyers
    with that graphics. Graphics of a game is like the cover page of a book. Many people will choose a book with a beautiful cover page even if the story is bad.

6. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    #6 mattll, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    Pass and play is definitely very important

7. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    #7 butterbean21, Jan 9, 2010
    I remember playing the very first wario ware, mind you it was on the GBA, but the graphics were not great even for the GBA, they were very basic and simple, but the gameplay was great, so it was easy to look past all that!

And the graphics did look like a mixed bag too! I think that's what added to the charm of the game, at least for me, cuz some where great, and some were "okay"

I will try and go back and polish the game up and maybe get some better graphics added to the sprite ones...

But I thought having played the Wario Ware games myself, that I remember, especially with the first installment, that they had a variety of minigames, and a wide variety or graphics.

I know other wario ware releases have better graphics, and the cut scenes are nice, but this is a game catered more to gameplay, mind you, there are some scenes where the graphics are really nice!

3 of my games in the app store have pretty nice graphics, but I decided to tighten the budget in that area, and work more on the mini games themselves

And some of the levels do have pretty good graphics, these 2 are probably not good samples, I'll post up some different levels :)

8. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Liking the new screenies!

9. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks! I'm going to change it up a bit and take some of your suggestions :)

I thought the mixed bag of graphics would stay true to the series, but I'll try to make the other graphics look better, and replace them with "pretty" ones, much like my other games

Thanks !

10. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Can't wait, I love WarioWare!

11. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The thing is though, with WarioWare it had a distinctive, rushed (and intentionally chaotic) art style, which really spoke to you.

The games primarily comprised of just the objects you were going to interact with, usually displayed on a patterned background.

This style had two benefits. 1) with no other details the distinctive drawings were really 'loud' with regards to catching your attention, 2) It was clear what you had to do within a second, as only the objects you were interacting with were displayed.

I would suggest perhaps styling the game via pixel art? Or better yet, a combination of pixel art micro games, actual photos micro games and drawn micro games?

Or failing that, just use actual, loose sketches as assets. That rushed, hand-sketched look can be very appealing and distinctive.

12. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    I totally agree with you GDsage, and I remember the original Wario Ware for GBA, which is probably one of my top ten favorite games, really had that chaotic, almost sloppy art style, and the very simple graphics were there for a purpose, to engage the player in that level, and how to move on to the next, and it also spoke in terms of gameplay, that a game doesn't necessarily have to have great graphics to be a 10/10 game!

But it sounds like a majority of users on the iphone want pretty, they want pretty graphics, and great stuff to oogle at.

So I might have to change the art style around that, or at least post screenshots that are pretty, and keep some sprites and other bizarre graphics in the game, and hope that they like it!

I'll take any suggestions, and I'm already working and taking your suggestions, and polishing some of the pixel like graphics with prettier, vector-like ones.

Thank you all!

13. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    I added some nicer graphics to the shootemup portions of the game, I'll take any other suggestions! Polishing the game up and hoping to submit over the weekend!

14. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It's a damn shame that a large amount of users expect something like that... makes me wonder how Wario Ware would have fared with its almost sloppy (that's a good description of it) art, if it was first released on the App store.

It is certainly a difficult decision to take...

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the game, but the Rhythm Heaven games for GBA and DS are the spritual successors to Wario Ware (made by the Wario Ware devs) and those too have a distinctive art style albeit with a little more appeal. It follows up on WarioWares look but with more coherence, and with a little more neatness with regards to the drawings. I think that style may sit well for you, as it balances 'something good to look at' and 'crazy / distinctive' styles quite well.

Here are some vids of that series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYboxlPIWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSQgTDn2-cc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMrlxFryUIQ

Anyway, good luck with it. I hope you will be able to utilise your own ambitions for its look whilst you try and make something that will appeal to a wide enough audience.

15. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks so much GDSage :) I have played Rythm heaven, another favorite game of mine even my mom, a non-gamer played, and did better than me in it!

I love the art style in that game too, unfortunately I'm near the end of development, so the graphics I used, a majority, are pretty nice vector images, and will appeal to those looking for a nice looking game, along with great gameplay

So I will finish polishing it up, and if it does well, perhaps will release another installment and/or add more levels to the current one with various graphics

We'll see how this one plays out, and how well it does to fund another installment of this type of game

Thanks again!

16. Slothy

Slothy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    I love WarioWare, and i've played every game in the series and the new one coming soon for DS (WarioWare DIY) looks awesome. WarioWare had games that had good graphic and games that had bad graphics, but it was just oozing with nintendo-quality charm and was so crazy that it all fit so well.

You get moments like 'Did I just shove dentures into an old ladies mouth?' or 'Why am I squirting ketchup on some fries as a mini-game?'

I say make it your own, and don't limit yourself. Get crazy and do anything with the graphics. Each minigame should be looked at as its own game. Warioware is just very polished...so it works.

The only suggestion I have is giving a little vauge descripton as to the goal of the minigame while it is being played, like how Warioware did. For example: in WarioWare you have to make a nose sneeze by tickling the nostril with a rolled up tissue, and it simply says 'sneeze'. Another game where you have to collect coins to put in a purse, it says 'gather'.

Warioware also cleverly categorized their game themes together so you knew what to expect. For example a set of all touch screen games, a section of all tilt control/shake games, then a set of a mixture of the two.

Good luck, I can't wait to buy it!:D

17. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    That's what I need to do slothy, is go back to the puzzles, and give vague descriptions.. I did that for most of them, but there are some where I probably gave too much info, so thanks for the tips!

I don't want people to have too high of hopes on this game, as it's still a work in progress, but I wanted to keep it fun, frantic, and under 10mb! Which can be hard to do, and limiting with graphics.

I will continue to do updates, and create more fun levels and take suggestions!

18. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
  19. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    Contest has begun, still have promo codes left!

I also submitted an update for the game to fix the shoot button so you can tap to shoot instead of holding it down, which means more promo codes to come in a day or so!

20. 3rdamention

3rdamention Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    What happened to this game? It had a name change to Blink or Die I believe, got released the end of January, then just disappeared off the Itunes store. The developers have not commented about the game at all. Pretty weird.