Universal Max Payne Mobile (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 11, 2012.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Alright, I've made up my mind: If this is in fact released in Lebanon (as both GTAs weren't, yet Beaterator was), then I'm deleting both Infinity Blades to both make space for it AND to avoid downloading a 700+ MB update (ClashMob) for a game that's honestly on my phone for the sole reason of showing if off. I'd take a game I've loved and played forever over one I really never gave a damn about in the first place.

2. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Dude it is MAX PAYNE!
    It was an awesome game back in the days, and to have it on your iphone, ipod or ipad to play anywhere you want, will make a lot of people happy including me!

3. yyhakusho

yyhakusho Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    smashing buy button (if available in us store)...

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ahhh fair enough, sorry didnt realise what it might be like over there. Still - Max Payne - on your iOS device ! For not that many dollars ?! I've just cleared up space for it, roll on tomorrow (well actually friday for me as i'm away tomorrow - doh)

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Uhh... 1.3gb is kind of a deal breaker for me... (8gb iPod)... To get that amount of free space I'd have to remove either MC3 or NBA Jam, Fancy Pants, CreaVures, Swordigo and Reckless R 2, or at least some of those... I'll wait until I have space, definitely looks awesome tho!

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Read my last post. :) Yep, I want it that ****ing bad.

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    See, GTA III I could understand. But this? "Classic?" "Gameplay?" This is a game that predominantly sold itself on its super pretty (for its time) textures. The gameplay was par for the course at best, and I thought that was pretty much universally agreed upon once the dust settled.

8. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    #28 PugLover, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    I'm too am excited especially since it has Retina display support, can't wait to see this on my iPad 3. Great price too.

I used to play this game back in the day when it was new. I have an 16 gb iPad 3, so not excited about the size of The game but I still have space left.

9. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore

It's call the nostalgia effect, all the old games/movies are really good. Still, Max Payne is remembered more for the storyline and bullet time mechanic, not much for graphics.

10. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Loved Max Payne when it came out but I'm unsure of how well it'll fit the touchscreen controls compared to GTA 3. I feel like I should buy it just to support Rockstar re-releasing classic games. Read : GTA VC

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep thats the one i really cant wait for ! 10 year anniversary this year so perhaps we'll get GTA later this year

12. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    ^ This is one of the few times i'm skipping your vid, for the pure sake of keeping the experience fresh for myself when I fire it up for the first time.... :D

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^+1 to that.

This is definitely something i'd play over again. Roll on midnight.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, it wasn't, as the excitement/fear over Max Payne 3 shows. For many, many gamers MP is an action game classic. As someone who has played through the game about once a year (and who no longer has access to it is since I upgraded to Lion), I'm obviously pretty excited about this port -- old-school graphics and all :).

15. beast_skillz_86

beast_skillz_86 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I know that feeling. Kinda cuz i have ut right now. :(

16. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Well, I for one can't wait to see Max Payne's constipated face all over my iPhone. I worry about the controls though, I hope it's been tweaked for iOS........maybe even more bullet time :)

17. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    In absolutely no place did I ever see Max Payne advertised for its graphics over and above the other specific core features that have remained memorable to this day. In fact, the only real thing about the graphics anybody actually remembers is Sam Lake's constipated portrayal of Max's face (warmly called back as an Easter egg in Alan Wake).

The gameplay wasn't hugely ground-breaking, no, but no contemporary title was offering the same hooks at the time. Not only did no other game have the same BT mechanics (but boy did they copy them afterwards), but MP also had its deliciously overwrought and appropriately evocative pulp noir story woven in as more than an afterthought, something many other games weren't big on back then.

You thought wrong: the Max Payne games have always been looked upon fondly, with almost universally positive reviews from both players and critics, and a metric puddingload of awards, and it was this position as fan favourite that lead Rockstar to bring this title to mobile devices.

I understand that this is a game you don't like, and clearly never did, but I'm not sure what's up with this weird revisionist history where Max Payne was somehow universally reviled and scorned, and was apparently just scraped from the bottom of a refuse pile to be slopped onto iOS devices even though nobody really wanted it.

18. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    I'm unable to tell if the left thumbs tick controls are similar to chaos theory ? Also can we customize the UI/control screen buttons? Either way my decision ain't whether to buy but which device to put it on! Does this have cloud support for saves?

19. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    max pane rocks

been playing with this for a little while since downloading it from nz appstore and its pretty cool. reminds me of the old days of action gaming. i like the graphics although they could be better and the controls are about as good as you can get except for the shooting. that is a little stiff and clunky but it doesn't take away from the fun too much. well worth the money and the space on your idevice.