Monument Valley - A game about beautiful impossibility

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ustwogames, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    #1 ustwogames, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone,

We're incredibly proud and excited to share our new game with you guys, get you playing our beta build and listen to your feedback. To kick off this thread we've created a short teaser trailer that contains a glimpse of what you can expect from the world of Monument Valley. This is the first time anyone from the public have seen this in motion so we hope you enjoy it;

Now that your apetite for a beautiful and engaging game experience has been has been piqued, we urge you to contact us via our beta page to have the chance of playing this week!.

[/size]
    Just pop us a mail with your full name and device model​

There's a good amount of stuff in there right now, but obviously there's still a truck load more work to do before we're finished. But if you're looking for beta access here you're probably a seasoned pro at this whole thing anyway :)

[​IMG]

Current status of beta release:
    Art: First few levels to a decent visual standard, with the rest of the levels at a placeholder standard.
    Audio: Audio disabled from the game at the moment.
    Interactions: Polish still required on touch interactions (especially iPhone/iPod)
    Narrative and Story: Animation and set piece work to better portray story

[size=+1]The ustwo games team[/size]​

We're a small team who previously made a little game called Whale Trail and a puzzle game entitled Blip Blup (Both have free versions so check them out sometime!) Previous to the creation of ustwo games, we'd also had experience on a whole bunch of different sized and shaped games, from AAA to indie, hardcore to casual. Notable titles have been Alice: Madness Returns, the Fable series, Joe Danger, Hackycat and Aftermath

We've left all that behind though and the only thing that's mattered to us over the last nine months has been crafting the world of Monument Valley and the story of Ida; a lone princess seeking forgiveness.

From the screenshots and trailer you can probably guess that it isn't the easiest game in the world to try and get working, with most of work needing to be calculated and designed on paper first to ensure things like perspective and alignment are correctly maintained. It usually involves some madness like this from Ken Wong:

[​IMG]

Anyway, we really need your help to make this thing better so your feedback is massively appreciated. We'll be checking this thread all day every day to help out with any issues and to give updates, but it would be great if you could catch us on our Twitter account or Facebook to let us know how you're getting on.

Monument Valley Website

Twitter @ustwogames

Facebook

We hope you enjoy the game!
    Dan and the guys at ustwo games

2. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    Great to see this moving along.

3. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Email sent.

4. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Email sent. How do we know if we manage to be a part of the beta program or not?

5. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Applied :)
    Thank you

6. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
    Thanks guys,

We want to get this going pretty soon so we'll be letting everyone know for certain on Wednesday most likely. Not long to wait.

I'll also be keeping my eyes on this thread so if you're having any issues or just any general questions, leave them in here.

I feel like we're handing our baby over to strangers at a Christening.

7. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
  8. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    E-mail sent. This looks gorgeous!

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Is GameCenter a part of the beta build? If not, I'm interested. I've had really bad luck when GC was enabled in Sandbox mode for a couple of betas resulting in wiping my content and reinstalling everything. Please advise.

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Email sent :)

After Whale Trail and Blip Blup Im wondering what masterpiece will come from ustwo

11. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
    I can confirm that there is no GameCenter, either as part of the Beta or the full release. We've made every possible attempt to have this game as clean, uncluttered and pure as possible.

No leaderboards,
    No Achievements,
    No Facebook Invitations,
    JUST GAME.

12. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Great. Email sent.

13. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
  14. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Very interested. Email sent. Looks a little like edge.

15. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Im getting a bit worried since there is no iPhone thread, please tell me this is also going to be for iPhone?

16. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
    We weren't sure whether duplicate thread were a thing or if we would be spamming. I can confirm the beta and release will be available on iPhone!

Is it acceptable to start another thread over there?

17. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Great news, thanks! I hope I get in the beta, really want to test Monument Valley.

Yes, a new thread for iPhone for be cool, here is a lot of people like me that don't have an iPad almost never checks the iPad section so an iPhone thread would give you more exposure

:)

18. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
  19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#20 Bronxsta, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Saw this in the iPad section, sent an email yesterday

Love Escher style puzzle games