Opinion: Developing for Free, Splitting Profits?

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by MikeyPOTG, Jul 2, 2011.

1. MikeyPOTG

MikeyPOTG Active Member

Feb 25, 2011
    So my learning how to develop apps is going a lot slower than expected but I still have a couple of ideas that I really want to get off the ground.
    I've been looking into hiring developers and such, but as of now don't have a huge capital, so I wanted to get some opinions on what people would think of developing an app for free, but then splitting the profits 50/50.
    Has anyone ever done that, or is it a completely ridiculous idea?

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Not a lot of good devs would agree. What would you be doing? Art?

If you do do that remember to draw up a contract though - stating how long the profits would be split. You don't want to be paying a dollar to someone every month for the rest of your life after the game sales have slowed down.

Another thing is who should upload the game to iTunes. I myself think the developer should upload it. He has to do the code signing and all that after all. Perhaps it's just me being biased, but I think the code sign and stuff is good enough reason for the dev to upload it. :)

Not saying it wouldn't work out, it COULD, but it would be easier to pay someone for the code at one go.

Hope that helps, good luck!

3. pinkandpurple

pinkandpurple Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    #3 pinkandpurple, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    I tried that.

I gave the sweetest deal offer with candy and gift wrapper on for free development and set up and------

Nobody replies.

Fact is most games are clones or a heap of rubbish

Only a few people;) have The Biggie

In fact I was thinking to launch a special site for the 20 percent of programmers that DID see out of the box and develop free for profit share

4. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Some perspective from a developer.

Whilst programmers sometimes find artists to work on a cut, it almost never happens the other way around. So much so, that if you find a developer who's happy to do so you probably should tread very carefully.

The reason is that ideas are cheap and every programmer has a bucket of them, even if they're just clones with a "new twist". So if he has spare time to work on something gratis, he's gonna go do one of his instead.

We were recently offered a tv brand license for free and had to think long and hard before making a decision on that, and I'm sure you'll agree that something from universal studios or MGM carries more cutworthiness than a guy from a forum.

You won't find a good programmer who's going to work for a cut unless you have an impressive and proven track record. You might find someone to work for cheap plus a cut if the project is right and you have a good marketing strategy, though. Show him you're serious and committed and doors might start to open.

Hope you find that constructive.

5. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Plus it's risky - I'd rather get a guarenteed $1,000 than 50% of what might be 10 sales.

6. MikeyPOTG

MikeyPOTG Active Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Thanks so much for all of your input. I figured that sharing ideas would be a risk, especially without money and a solid contract and I appreciate all of your advice.

Perhaps I'll have to look into finding someone to work for cheap plus a cut, I like that idea. Thanks again!