SQUIDS (by The Game Bakers)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Emeric, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Hi fellow TouchArcade buddies,

Here is a little introduction to our first game as The Game Bakers. I hope you'll like it!

Also, as I'm posting this thread, I'm in the train (with WiFi!) heading to Gamescom in Germany, so if anyone from here is there, let's meet!

[​IMG]

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Can't turn down a turn-based-squid-combat game! :D

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Reminds me of Bouncy Mouse in that you've taken the slingshot mechanic to the next level.

And the game looks awesome. Am I seeing correctly that the creatures have different abilities that trigger after they got shot forward?

4. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Mmh, not exactly. You can pull the tentacle of each squid and throw them against enemies to do a melee attack - squid style. But there are currently four classes of squids with a special ability each (Stomp, Shoot, Dash, Heal). And some characters have multiple classes.

5. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks awesome, the art is fantastic.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I see, still sounds great.

7. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Just checked Bouncy Mouse, this game had slipped under my watch. Looks pretty fun, but Squids is really different. It's a turn-based game and it's not really some sort of touch platformer. There is aiming skill involved but it's a bit more tactical and has a little bit of RPG as well.

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Cool, I know it's different from Bouncy Mouse but I like that both games are using the slingshot mechanic in more expensive and creative ways rather than the latest shoot-projectile-at-structure clone.

Check out Hungribles also.

Can you talk more the characters in SQUIDS, and the level design? When is the game supposed to come out?

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Is it turn-based like drelbs said? If it is, my interest is piqued.

10. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Yep, turn-based :D. That's why I asked about turn-based games in another thread recently. Some of you guys directed me on pretty cool games on iOS.
    I'm a long time fan of tactical RPGs like Shining Force and other tactics game, and as a developper I was really excited to do a 2011-touch-version of these kind of games! The dream of a fan actually.

The character: as I said, we currently have four classes but some characters can have multiple abilities. And they all have different stats, so for instance, two squids from the same class can be very different because one will have double defense and the other one double movement points... And of course visually we try to make them feel very different. One thing I loved the most from these old games is how much I could be attached to some characters and try to beat the game only with 6 of them when you could have 12 on the battlefield for instance.

The level design: we've made the environments as varied as possible visually. We start in a very tropical and colorful environment and then you'll land into sunken atlantis city after a big turtle ride. Gameplay wise, some maps are very big and are more about exploration and reaching the opposite side, and some are more arena like where you have to defend yourself against waves of spawning enemies. I really want to add a "race" game mode as well but last time I asked for it my programming buddy chained me in the basement without food and water, so I guess it will come in an update very soon. Also, in the levels there are a lot of stuff that are very important: spiky urchins that deal a lot of damage, holes where to push the enemies into (and not fall yourself), water streams, power ups placed at tactical location.

In the end the game is a bit like angry birds meets worms meets pokemon... but come hey, someone had to try to do that on iOS :). When I was in Ubisoft I would have been executed for having such a crazy idea, so now I take my own risks ;-).

11. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Looks quite good.... :p

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  13. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Congrats to the Bakers for the Gamespot mention. Your business story, if still early, is truly inspirational. No offense, but by striking out on your own, you're actually building the kind of game I care about. (Yeah, not too hot about Ubisoft, though Sands of Time was okayish.)

14. gorgonzola3000

gorgonzola3000 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    art director @ The Game Bakers
    france
    #15 gorgonzola3000, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    [hqyoutube]DtUWlJG2nyg[/hqyoutube]

15. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #16 Marcus70, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    The interview was great to watch. They really have terrific TBS coming out. I really love the environments, like fighting on a giant turtle. :)

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah espeially the "local tradition" that Sammo teaches on level 18! Finished te beta today and it rocked!

17. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    This is releasing on the 13th! BOOMSHAKALAKA!