Game Design - Quick poll

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by threadbarezach, Apr 3, 2013.

1. threadbarezach

threadbarezach New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Hi folks! We're working on a game concept and could use some feedback from y'all. Feel free to just respond with the number corresponding to your answer. We really appreciate your time!

Imagine a multiplayer, TBS game in which (1) you have a set amount of time to plan a handful of moves, but (2) you must wait for the other players to finish planning (or for the time limit to expire) before your plans execute.

How long would you be willing to wait for others to finish?
    1) 0 minutes -- I would not play such a game.
    2) a few minutes
    3) 10 minutes
    4) half an hour
    5) 1 hour

2. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    #1 or #2, but no more than a few minutes.

I'd imagine the amount of time per turn inversely relates to the size of the audience for such a game.

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    1) I would not play such a game.

There are two groups of players. Those who play solo and those who do multiplayer...

4. astranberg

astranberg Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Depends on what the game is, lol.

FrozenSynapse.com

Sometimes I wait a day on that game. But it's okay, because I can leave and come back to it whenever I want, and I can have more than one game at once.

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Depends on how complicated the game is. I'd wait quite awhile in a 4X game, but not very long in something like FFT. In other words, I'd wait around as long as a typical turn would take, plus a little extra.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wait, if it is Frozen Synapse we are talking about here, then I vote 5) because Frozen Synapse is special. :)

7. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Would this game be able to handle an asynchronous environment? That would be the best option, as it gives the players the freedom to choose beforehand how many time they are willing to wait. Then all answers would be applicable.

If not, then I'd go with a few minutes.